A Day QB1

ChristoThor

DD nor Holden have near 0 chance at being the starting AB.

It will either be Finley or Calzada. Calzada us going to be the heavy favorite. Most likely it'll be Calzada

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

It will either be Finley or Calzada. Calzada us going to be the heavy favorite. Most likely it'll be Calzada

I didn’t think Calzada could play AD so if so won’t be starting A day.

3 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

I didn’t think Calzada could play AD so if so won’t be starting A day.

Feel like we've had guys in non contact jerseys often

I hope our QBs are looking at MW for inspiration. Absolutely impressed at the combine. Development can absolutely happen. Can't wait to see what is in store.

• Like 2

On 3/5/2022 at 12:33 PM, W.E.D said:

For what it is worth, that is not what Harsin is telling his parents as recently as February.  He is being given every chance to start if he earns it.  Nothing will be given to anyone, which to Harsin's credit is the right way to go about it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, DAG said:

I hope our QBs are looking at MW for inspiration. Absolutely impressed at the combine. Development can absolutely happen. Can't wait to see what is in store.

Yup. It's always wild when ppl completely give up on a player after their Fr or Soph year.  Especially QBs.  Their development is the longest path.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

For what it is worth, that is not what Harsin is telling his parents as recently as February.  He is being given every chance to start if he earns it.  Nothing will be given to anyone, which to Harsin's credit is the right way to go about it.

Coaches always tell everyone they have a chance to compete. There is a difference between coaches telling kids they have a chance to win the job and what's actually going to happen and how it'll play out.

49 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Yup. It's always wild when ppl completely give up on a player after their Fr or Soph year.  Especially QBs.  Their development is the longest path.

Wasn’t people giving up on Malik. Gus never gave him a chance. Even in limited mop up up time he wouldn’t let him throw the ball. I personally thought the kid was a player while at Auburn 

11 for 14 for 69 yards in 2 years at Auburn. That’s pathetic on Gus’ part

Edited by jluvah
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, jluvah said:

Wasn’t people giving up on Malik. Gus never gave him a chance. Even in limited mop up up time he wouldn’t let him throw the ball. I personally thought the kid was a player while at Auburn 

I wasn't talking about Gus.  I was talking about any QBs.  People are 100% against the idea of Finely starting for us b/c it's determined he can't get better.  Happens all over too.  Bo got better going into his 3rd year last year and was playing at an above average level the last 4 games before he got hurt.

I'm probably overly critical of Calzada b/c he's a 3rd year player going into his 4th, but had limited starting experience and never got starter reps until he was put into action.

Gus never gave any backups meaningful reps.  It wasn't just Malik.

Edited by W.E.D

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

Just like Harsin seemed to have a fascination with Jeff Lebby as OC, I think he's fascinated with Holden at QB. Dudes in football love with the kid. Used him as a selling point when trying to get Austin Davis (lol).

Plus he's got a history of starting freshmen, as both Rypien and Bachmeier started their freshmen years. He could absolutely have a very real chance. He may actually have the second best odds to start behind Calzada imo. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, au302 said:

Just like Harsin seemed to have a fascination with Jeff Lebby as OC, I think he's fascinated with Holden at QB. Dudes in football love with the kid. Used him as a selling point when trying to get Austin Davis (lol).

Plus he's got a history of starting freshmen, as both Rypien and Bachmeier started their freshmen years. He could absolutely have a very real chance. He may actually have the second best odds to start behind Calzada imo. 

I just hope Harsin gives them ALL a fair shot at #1, including DD. I would love to see Finley get the nod if he earns it. He’s got a cannon, and with some more coaching and time in the pocket, he can make all the throws. But please give DD an opportunity 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, au302 said:

Going by what little we've actually seen at this point, Holden Grenier could well have the highest up-side in a Harsin offense. Whether the kid is ready or not is an open question.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, jluvah said:

I just hope Harsin gives them ALL a fair shot at #1, including DD. I would love to see Finley get the nod if he earns it. He’s got a cannon, and with some more coaching and time in the pocket, he can make all the throws. But please give DD an opportunity 

What do you define as an opportunity? Playing time? 

20 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

What do you define as an opportunity? Playing time? 

Let him run the whole offense with the ones more than one series during A day at a minimum. And please God, let him throw the ball! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jluvah said:

Let him run the whole offense with the ones more than one series during A day at a minimum. And please God, let him throw the ball! 

With 5 QB's, someones gonna lose snaps on A day. Looks like it could be Calzada this year if he's injured, but I try to keep reminding myself that the battle doesn't start on spring practice. Starts in January. Probably already a pecking order

19 minutes ago, jluvah said:

I hear you, didn’t know if you were talking just about the a day game or the season. Agree and think we will see everyone get a chance to run the whole offense for one drive at minimum. 

• Like 1

I just want one of them to step up and take the position in spring practice.    Be the clear winner and there is no debate about it.   I really don’t care which one it is.  One of the old sayings is if you have several that are equal you don’t have a really good one.  If we head into fall practice without a clear starter it won’t be good.  

• Like 2

I want the best man to win the job, but I’m pulling for DD to win it. Kid was a baller at the highest level of HS football in Texas. Feel like he is still being slept on..& yes I know he isn’t Harsin’s recruit or his “style.” Ready to see how spring plays out with Calzada out. We know what we have in Finely…let’s hope somebody steps up. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Ready to see how spring plays out with Calzada out.

Can anyone point to a mod or article stating this? He had surgery 12 weeks ago on his non throwing shoulder. From everything I've read he was expected to go through with a non contact jersey on.  That was early this year.

None of the position previews I've read mention him being a non participant 

On 3/7/2022 at 10:50 AM, jluvah said:

the parallels with Demetrius Davis are starting to feel increasingly similar. surely he will get a legitimate look this year. 

Ashford is an interesting wild card.

26 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

the parallels with Demetrius Davis are starting to feel increasingly similar. surely he will get a legitimate look this year. 

Ashford is an interesting wild card.

Malik is about a foot taller and has a rocket of a arm.  They really aren't comparable at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

6ft 1" vs 5ft 10"

Well you know how it is with men and their measurements. 3 inches always seems like a foot!!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

6ft 1" vs 5ft 10"

More so arm strength, which isn't even close. Hell DD ain't close to the other 4 on the roster in terms of arm strength. I'm sure he's improving it and could still make noise with his other strengths