Finebaum reacts to college football attendance decline

aubiefifty

Paul Finebaum reacts to college football attendance decline: ‘It’s a serious problem’

By Mark Heim | mheim@al.com

3 minutes

The reason attendance is dropping at college football games across the country, Paul Finebaum said, is really quite simple.

“It’s much easier to sit at home and watch all the games provided as opposed to spending a fortune driving however long it is to deal with traffic,” the SEC Network analyst told me on “The Opening Kickoff” on WNSP-FM 105.5. on Thursday.

The comment was in response to a CBS Sports report that attendance figures are dropping across the nation. According to the report, the average attendance last season was down more than 7,000 per game - 15 percent - from a record 2008 mark of 46,971. The report goes on to point out it has been a trend for the past seven years.

“It’s a serious problem,” Finebaum said. “It’s been going on for a number of years. When I travel, I talk to the athletic directors and I think every single one - maybe not Alabama - has told me it’s a big concern.”

It clearly isn’t a concern for Arkansas, either. The Hogs, per the report, had the second-highest attendance gain among FBS teams in 2021, more than 14,300 fans per game since 2019. The study didn’t take into account 2020 due to COVID.

The SEC saw an attendance decline for a fifth consecutive year, and nine SEC saw a decline.

SEC commissioner Greg Sankey told CBS Sports that NIL and the transfer portal had an impact.

“There’s plenty of, if you will, negativity around the collegiate sports world,” he said. “People have said, ‘Well, these decisions won’t affect fan interest.’ Well, something certainly is. It’s not just TV. It’s not just COVID. We have to rethink our approach on key issues. That’s almost a Captain Obvious moment.”

Finebaum said that’s not the issue.

“I don’t want to say it’s not worth it,” Finebaum said of going to games. “When you can turn the TV off at midnight and just got to sleep, maybe it isn’t worth it. I think it is a real problem. I think all these other things are secondary, but they are adding to it.

“Over a certain age, it’s becoming a real turn off with what we love and talk about everyday here.”

College athletics was an affordable event to take a family to tailgate and walk to a game. 

Now it's more like the NFL in every way...with streaming, a dozen ESPN options, etc. As Finebaum said, people can watch at home and the experience doesn't add up financially for a lot of families anymore. 

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

i would love to go to a football game since it has been years or even a basketball game but the games seem kinda pricey. i guess i would have to go watch a football practice or A day. i tell you what if things get any higher this ol boy will not be able to pay attention. i am not trying to be political or anything as i try to keep politics on the politic boards. i did hear spring break is starting at some schools tomorrow and basketball tickets might be cheaper at some venues.................

• Like 1

I much prefer to attend in person than watch on TV but I can't go to every home game. It's not so much tickets or the hassle of getting to Auburn or wherever, it's the lodging. You have to plan these trips almost a year in advance to get a decent priced hotel or AirBnb.

CFB games are social events. It's leisure. I like to go and tailgate. I have no interest in fooling with driving home after a game.

Edit: Instead of that hideous jumbotron, the school should have invested in more fan friendly amenities. Baseball is different than the other sports because they play way more home games, but their approach in making it comfortable and allowing for different amenities is a great strategy. Maybe have an area where people can stand or have extra leg room or something where they pay extra. Allow people to leave at halftime and get a one-time re-entrance type ticket (pay more obviously). Oh yeah and serve alcohol. That would help.

Edited by woodford
  • Like 1

I know the article speaks for college football in general but for Auburn, winning consistently will cure a lot of problems. If you want to pack the house then give them what they want to see. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, woodford said:

I much prefer to attend in person than watch on TV but I can't go to every home game. It's not so much tickets or the hassle of getting to Auburn or wherever, it's the lodging. You have to plan these trips almost a year in advance to get a decent priced hotel or AirBnb.

CFB games are social events. It's leisure. I like to go and tailgate. I have no interest in fooling with driving home after a game.

Edit: Instead of that hideous jumbotron, the school should have invested in more fan friendly amenities. Baseball is different than the other sports because they play way more home games, but their approach in making it comfortable and allowing for different amenities is a great strategy. Maybe have an area where people can stand or have extra leg room or something where they pay extra. Allow people to leave at halftime and get a one-time re-entrance type ticket (pay more obviously). Oh yeah and serve alcohol. That would help.

i have wanted aufam to do a tailgate thing for a while for posters on the site so we could meet folks during a game. it seems there are a fewaufam folks that tailgate with other from the site and it seemed they want to keep their circle small or they do not want certain people around.

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

i have wanted aufam to do a tailgate thing for a while for posters on the site so we could meet folks during a game. it seems there are a fewaufam folks that tailgate with other from the site and it seemed they want to keep their circle small or they do not want certain people around.

Don’t know anything about that man lol 

43 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

I also think some people are turned off by the way the sport has evolved the last few years. 

Looked up your profile after seeing your avatar. Start a bass fishing forum for the Members. I  would love to talk fishing all day long. Been fishing my entire life but could definitely use some knowledge from a tour fisherman. PM when you kick it off. 😉 

• Like 1

How many are there on here that actually go to at least one game per year? I attended 3 this past year and usually go to at least 2.

A few hurricanes, while nothing new doesn't help..........for me nothing beats the gameday experience......As I age the thought of simply turning off the tv and going to bed is appealing.......especially when it comes to finding the car and fighting traffic.........things that were never an issue 20 years ago.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, toddc said:

Looked up your profile after seeing your avatar. Start a bass fishing forum for the Members. I  would love to talk fishing all day long. Been fishing my entire life but could definitely use some knowledge from a tour fisherman. PM when you kick it off. 😉 

We have one called AUF Anglers. Come join us 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, toddc said:

Count me in. About too old to fish tournaments any more but still enjoy talking about it

• Like 1

Get up at 6 am to make it to an 11am kickoff.

Get out of an 8 pm game at midnight and either: drive home and get there at 3 am, or stay a two night minimum at a hotel for $300 a night. 

More 2pm kickoffs would be nice. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, autigeremt said:

I also think some people are turned off by the way the sport has evolved the last few years. 

I am so sick of hearing about the playoff in September. There should be a freakin embargo on the word "playoff" in college football television, radio, and print media before October 20th. For all it's faults at least the BCS kept that under wraps until later in the season. 

Edited by WalkingCarpet
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i would love to go to a football game since it has been years or even a basketball game but the games seem kinda pricey. i guess i would have to go watch a football practice or A day. i tell you what if things get any higher this ol boy will not be able to pay attention. i am not trying to be political or anything as i try to keep politics on the politic boards. i did hear spring break is starting at some schools tomorrow and basketball tickets might be cheaper at some venues.................

SEC games are pricey but cupcake games are still affordable…

• Love 1

I noticed the article said that 2008 was the peak for college football attendance. I've always been into motorsports and Nascar has been dealing with this same issue, as have most other sports. 2007 was the peak year for Nascar as far as fan attendance and TV ratings. These 2 sports hitting their peak only 1 year apart is no coincidence. The recession in America began hitting in 2007 and was full blown by 2008. Fans began staying home and watching on TV due to the fact that money was so tight. 

Also a big reason for lack of attendance at all live sporting events is because TV has gotten so much better with Hi-def, etc. The networks like ESPN, Fox, CBS, NBC, etc. have ALL gotten so good with the multi camera angles and good in-game analysis that it really let's the fan see everything they were missing while at the event. 

Add in the parking fees, outrageously high tickets if your team happens to be good, concessions, fuel, hotel accommodations, etc. and I can see why so many are staying home and watching 8 or 10 different games instead of just the 1 you're at live. 

I still have season tickets for football and I absolutely love the atmosphere at live events but I totally get the staying home part. BTW, Duke is playing their final home game under Coach K this weekend and ESPN said the cheapest ticket available is $3,450. That's just insanity. WDE

16 hours ago, woodford said:

Don’t know anything about that man lol 

i see you mr woodford

14 hours ago, GAAubie said:

How many are there on here that actually go to at least one game per year? I attended 3 this past year and usually go to at least 2.

i used to hit two a year but i started playing in a band and it messed that up.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GAAubie said:

I go to all the home games and try to make at least one away game a year. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, toddc said:

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, GAAubie said:

I’m on the west coast and go to at least one per year, sometimes two but I have nearby family so lodging not an issue and reasonably priced flights can be found when planned far enough in advance.

• Like 2

for years we drug the travel trailer to as many home games as we could make, hence my screen name, that got expensive so we started leaving it at the Eagles Nest or something just outside of Auburn. Moved from the Hay Field  up to the area by the pond and red barn so we didn't have to hustle for a spot, and that is nice and convenient but man it gets expensive. Especially walking back from the stadium with your tail between your legs when you just handed over a sure win. But doing that several times a year is heavy on the wallet. We laid off one season, wrote down every expense for our tailgating experience, took that money and stuck it back. ONE season worth of expense was mind boggling. We took that cash and built one very nice game day experience area at the house. Inside is cool early on and warm in the later months.  Huge flat screen that I can pause, rewind and go back live without ever moving anything but my thumb. But for some reason I still stand the entire game. 

• Like 1