Headed into the postseason

Maverick.AU

Auburn stock beginning an upswing in momentum as the 3 ball starts to fall.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Guys and gals, this regular season has been so fun and it's been an honor to be here with you guys through it all. This team has the ability to win it all, and I will believe in them until we aren't playing anymore even though they do things that make us pull our hair out sometimes. I believe in this team. Cheers to everyone for a great postseason! WDE!!!

Same. I get pissed off as much as anyone but I never believe we're out of it or can't win. When you have Jabari playing the way he is, we're never out of it. Will be nice to get a 6 day break before our next game. Gotta get Kessler healthy!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

42 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

Auburn stock beginning an upswing in momentum as the 3 ball starts to fall.   

Not to mention Flanigan looking more and more comfortable. If he gets rolling, it makes us that much more difficult to beat, because he's the big wing we need. I love Devin Cambridge and the energy he brings, but his outside shot just isn't there. Allen can legitimately be a 3 and D guy in the NBA, so...yeah, he gives us a different element.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I hope all the OGs get their respect in one way or another if CBP ever gets a title 

Cool. I didn’t know KT was on the staff. He was a bright light in some terrible seasons. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, zeroforwinger said:

Cool. I didn’t know KT was on the staff. He was a bright light in some terrible seasons. 

I'd kill to have somebody to KT on this team 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Brackets are in.   We play the A&M v UF winner at noon on Friday.  That should be a good game.  Hopefully I will be able to catch a lil bit of that game on Thursday.    Our Saturday matchup will be either Arky or the team that beats them.   Probably Arky.  That sets up what I think will be us vs UK on Sunday for the SEC tourney championship!   Let’s go!   War Eagle!!!

28 minutes ago, AUinMS9528 said:

Brackets are in.   We play the A&M v UF winner at noon on Friday.  That should be a good game.  Hopefully I will be able to catch a lil bit of that game on Thursday.    Our Saturday matchup will be either Arky or the team that beats them.   Probably Arky.  That sets up what I think will be us vs UK on Sunday for the SEC tourney championship!   Let’s go!   War Eagle!!!

pretty unideal draw if Florida wins. but its that time where nothing is completely in your favor anyway 

7 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

pretty unideal draw if Florida wins. but its that time where nothing is completely in your favor anyway 

A&M is the hotter team right now.   But we SHOULD be able to handle either one of them.  I just don’t want to have to look at Castleton again.   Kid gets on my nerves.  

8 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Eh I want Florida to win. I want payback on all of our losses. We have a chance to do that as well. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

Eh I want Florida to win. I want payback on all of our losses. We have a chance to do that as well. 

UConn is in the SEC Tournament? 🤨     :drippingsarcasm7pa:

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

UConn is in the SEC Tournament? 🤨     :drippingsarcasm7pa:

This is why I don't use my phone for replies. Left out SEC.

48 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

This is why I don't use my phone for replies. Left out SEC.

Meh, I knew what you meant, I was just being a smartass. 

And it's not impossible that we COULD avenge all our losses if we get a draw in the NCAA Tournament that leads us to play UConn along the way. I certainly wouldn't be mad about that...but I kind of expect it to be Kentucky who comes out of the other side of the SEC bracket, rather than Tennessee, in which case the Wildcats will be the ones looking to avenge a road loss.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

I'd kill to have somebody to KT on this team 

Still think about that 3 point shot against LSU from time to time. Wild game and I was going nuts. Imo the first big "moment" the program had in years at the time and setting the tone for the BP era.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 3/5/2022 at 4:44 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I hope all the OGs get their respect in one way or another if CBP ever gets a title 

Antoine Mason from that team is one of my favorite random and obscure Auburn players ever!!!!! He was MONEY IN THE GOT DANG BANK the 2 times we played that Kentucky team that went undefeated all the way until the final four when they lost to Wiscy. He had 29 points at Rupp and 23 in the Sec Tourney semi finals vs them!!! He was not scared at all vs big blue!!! WOOOOOO!!!! Here is our SEC TOURNEY run in 2015 when I think THAT was the moment everyone knew Bruce was going to have us good in basketball again!! At the end of these highlights when we get some in depth locker room content you notice who is in the background?! Former Auburn assistant Todd Golden who is the San Fran Don's basketball coach right now and who is most likely going to make the NCAA Tourney with a at large berth! He is still only 36 years old. San Fran has not been to the Dance since 98..... Does Bruce have a eye for coaching talent or what?! He was here for the first 2 or 3 years of the Bruce era at AU. Another former Bruce assistant from his Rocky Top days Steve Forbes has turned around a dormant Wake Forest program.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, au302 said:

Still think about that 3 point shot against LSU from time to time. Wild game and I was going nuts. Imo the first big "moment" the program had in years at the time and setting the tone for the BP era.

I remember that. If I recall, wasn't it a bank shot at the buzzer at regulation? It sent us to OT and we ended up winning. That got us to the semifinals of the tourney against Kentucky. I also think that was the undefeated Kentucky team that went onto lose to Wisconsin led by Frank Kaminsky. That Kentucky team started 38-0, if I remember correctly, but lost in the Final Four.

5 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Antoine Mason from that team is one of my favorite random and obscure Auburn players ever!!!!! He was MONEY IN THE GOT DANG BANK the 2 times we played that Kentucky team that went undefeated all the way until the final four when they lost to Wiscy. He had 29 points at Rupp and 23 in the Sec Tourney semi finals vs them!!! He was not scared at all vs big blue!!! WOOOOOO!!!! Here is our SEC TOURNEY run in 2015 when I think THAT was the moment everyone knew Bruce was going to have us good in basketball again!! At the end of these highlights when we get some in depth locker room content you notice who is in the background?! Former Auburn assistant Todd Golden who is the San Fran Don's basketball coach right now and who is most likely going to make the NCAA Tourney with a at large berth! He is still only 36 years old. San Fran has not been to the Dance since 98..... Does Bruce have a eye for coaching talent or what?! He was here for the first 2 or 3 years of the Bruce era at AU. Another former Bruce assistant from his Rocky Top days Steve Forbes has turned around a dormant Wake Forest program.

That was an era I wish I was more aware of honestly. I watched some clutch late win against Alabama in 2014 and caught win of the SEC tourney run but only got to watch the Kentucky game…which obv was unideal 

Reading some of the stories from then is insane though. Like 270 pound power forwards playing point guards, walkons as the only bench depth. CBP worked a miracle 

• Like 2

There’s something that’s honestly revelatory when you get to attend an Aub bball game for the first time, for the sport as a whole. I watched us nearly (emphasis) pack the bleachers vs Barry U,  go to OT on a buzzer beater, and lose…and still wanted more

it’s such a different energy than the NBA. Not better but good. I imagine that’s all they had to fall back on during the early CBP years: heart and energy. I’m probably spoiled 😂 

• Like 1

On 3/4/2022 at 2:49 PM, 81spacetiger said:

If we play the 3 small guard line up with Zep as #3 or some kind of rotation of the 3 guards, don't you think Zep can produce the points we need?  Here is what he did in his last year before transferring to Auburn: https://cofcsports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/zep-jasper/4631

In his last 2 games he really produced well over his average of 15.6 pts/game (38 and 27).  You could tell in the OM and MSU games when he hit those multiple 3's, he's a shooter.  I'd bet he can easily produce 15 points each game if we play him 30 min a game.  But it isn't the points alone that would help us as you noted Cambridge was wide open for 3 pt shots because of how other teams were defending us.  If we throw another shooter that can hit from 3pt range, they will have to alter their defense which should help the other players get better looks. Our whole offensive production should get better.

In the end, it will not matter too much what we think, it only matters what the coaches think.  I think we will see this line up on Sat and I predict we will love the offensive production.

I think we will see more of the 3 guard set but only in limited circumstances because of the liabilities it creates on our defensive end and rebounding. 

On 3/4/2022 at 7:57 PM, Rednilla said:

I'd like to see Jabari at the 3 with Jaylin at the 4, but I have doubts we'll ever see that lineup.

We may see it some if we keep struggling on the boards. 

CBP has not stopped tinkering heading into the postseason. Something we saw in this SC game that I think we will see more of is when Kessler's man sags very low off of him when he is out at the three point line, he goes to screen for Jabari rather than rolling to the goal. This led to multiple baskets in the game, some Jabari 3s and a Jabari drive that Kessler got the follow on. Also, when Kessler got the catch and his man sagged, Jabari came over and ran a handoff/rub to get a couple of looks as well. 

This is something CBP is doing to force them to guard Kessler out away from the rim to open up pick and rolls, or give up a Jabari jumper. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

I remember that. If I recall, wasn't it a bank shot at the buzzer at regulation? It sent us to OT and we ended up winning. That got us to the semifinals of the tourney against Kentucky. I also think that was the undefeated Kentucky team that went onto lose to Wisconsin led by Frank Kaminsky. That Kentucky team started 38-0, if I remember correctly, but lost in the Final Four.

Yep end of regulation to send us to OT. Don't think it was a bank shot though. Masterful play design by BP for the situation. LSU fans were PISSED that Johnny Jones didn't get them to foul since they were up 3 and there was 5 seconds left. Guess he was afraid of a 4 point play, but I agreed with them at the time

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another thing we have seen in the last couple of games I hope to see more in the postseason, is Jabari putting the ball on the floor and attacking the rim when a defender is over playing him. I've seen him dribble more in the last two weeks than the first two months of the season. If he starts breaking guys down off the dribble it opens an element up that nobody has had to defend up until now. 

• Like 1

I've rewatched some of our recent games and gone over some of the numbers and I'm convinced we are in store for something special from Jabari in this postseason run.  So here's a few things I've noticed. I think CBP started intentionally getting Jabari more touches sooner than we realized. Starting with the Missouri game on the road. Prior to that game he had attempted 15 or more shots just twice in 19 games and zero in conference. Starting that game he has attempted 15 or more shots 5 times in 12 games. Prior to the Mizzou game he had 4 games where he attempted 0 free throws (and 5 games where he shot 2 or 1) with 63 total attempts, only 1 game with 0 attempts (and 1 game with 1 attempt) since, with 76 total attempts. In the last six games he has recorded his season high in points, assists, and tied his season high in rebounds. 

This group has been trying to evolve as he does and there have been some bumps in the road, but I think there is reason to believe it is headed in the right direction. He's been more aggressive off the dribble in the last few games and there is one area I think we will see him improve on as he takes the next step and that is setting up others to score. I think our lack of assists can be helped by look for Jabari to get more assists on kick outs and high lows to Kessler or high low lobs to our 3s. Going to be fun to watch 

• Like 1