#1 seed in the NCAA Tournament

Rednilla

I'm curious what those who know more than I do think we have to do to get a #1 seed. Are we already there? Do we have to win a game in the SEC Tournament? 2 games? The whole thing?

The feeling I've gotten from watching the talking heads and reading some around the internet is that we should be at least close if we make the finals of the SEC Tourney...but at the same time, if we face off against Kentucky in the finals, and lose, that would seem to solidify Kentucky as a #1 seed, and I doubt two SEC teams get a #1 seeding. 

Thoughts?

21 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I'm curious what those who know more than I do think we have to do to get a #1 seed. Are we already there? Do we have to win a game in the SEC Tournament? 2 games? The whole thing?

The feeling I've gotten from watching the talking heads and reading some around the internet is that we should be at least close if we make the finals of the SEC Tourney...but at the same time, if we face off against Kentucky in the finals, and lose, that would seem to solidify Kentucky as a #1 seed, and I doubt two SEC teams get a #1 seeding. 

Thoughts?

Oklahoma going on a run would help a lot. They get Kansas first, with a shot against Baylor on the line. If Oklahoma wins both of those, we are almost a lock if we don't drop the first game

Edit: it looks like Oklahoma plays Baylor first. Sorry for the mistake. I have seen three different brackets published, so I am not 100% sure what their format is

Edited by BigBlueWDE
  • Thanks 1

I think if it started today, we’re a #1. Kansas and Baylor can’t both win the Big 12, so as long as we get to the finals, we’re a lock. If we lose in the Semis, it depends on what happens with Kentucky and Kansas. Arizona might need to win the PAC 12 to maintain a 1 seed. Gonzaga seems to be the only lock. 

I think with Duke loosing last night, we are a #1 seed no question. 

That said, how well or poor we do in the SEC could affect us.  I think if we get by Ark but loose to the UT/UK winner, we will still remain a #1 seed (we're likely the 4th #1 seed).   

All of this ignores what is happening with the other top teams.  If the Zags, Arizona, Baylor and/or Kansas slip up in their respective tournament, we have more margin for error and could still remain a #1 seed no matter what we do - but we could be a higher #1 seed.   

We are a lock if we win it. Otherwise, it very much depends on how the other tournaments go. I'd like to see us win it, and head into the big dance with some confidence building wins. I think we've received enough motivational kicks in the groin at this point.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

We are a lock if we win it.

That much I felt pretty confident about already.

A lot of media are putting Kansas over us for the last #1 seed. Not sure why, as they got dogpiled by Ky at their place and ofc we beat Ky at home, plus they have more losses.

Not sure how much the ranking could change for the top 4 w tournaments going on? How much do they use it in their ranking at least for the top 4? I can understand using it for bubble teams, and teams winning their tournaments....

p.s. we are not a lock at all for  1 seed. Too many teams that have different strengths to support their claim. And heck, who knows what these projectionists use to rank us?

Edited by steeleagle

46 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

p.s. we are not a lock at all for  1 seed. ...

With Duke loosing last night we are a LOCK preconference championship play.  Before Duke loosing last night, Joe Lunardi had us as a #1 seed.  I am certain we ARE a #1 seed without question since Duke lost.  ESPN uses Lunardi's call for potential NCAA seeding.  He updates with greater frequency as we are getting closer to the big dance.  Look for his update tomorrow which will be before the major conferences start their championship games.   

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

His current top seeds are:  Gonzaga, Arizona, Baylor, and Auburn (I believe in that order).  Duke was the only one that could have bumped us out as they had love in the AP (ranked 4) and coaches (ranked 2) poll when they had 4 losses.  But they lost at home last night to an unranked team and is the top dog (only ranked team) in a perceived down ACC.  If Kansas beats Baylor and wins the Big 12 they will get their place but if we win the SEC, we will move to the #3 slot and Kansas will get last #1 seed.

If I had my wish, I hope we stay as the last #1 seed and Gonzaga stays at #1 seed.  That way if we both make the final 4, we would play them and when we win, we'll play the winner from the other side of the bracket.  I have seen enough of Gonzaga this year to feel good on our chances of bouncing them from the final 4.

edit:  I forgot to mention the conferences.  I believe the Big 12, Big 10 and SEC are perceived to be the strongest conferences + Gonzaga and Arizona.  If Zaga and AZ do not lose again, one of those strong conferences will not get a #1 seed.  During the week, Purdue lost and Duke lost last night.  With Purdue's loss, I think there is only an outside chance the Big 10 gets to a #1 seed.  No way the Big 12 gets two #1 seeds unless Auburn and UK both loose 1st game in SEC CC play.  If we both loose early and Purdue or possibly Wisc takes the big 10 title, the winner might get the last #1 seed. 

2nd edit.  Wisc was leading the Big 10... but lost today to Nebraska 74-73.  Purdue is now the only possible #1 seed out of the Big 10 but they would have to win out their conference championship and we would have to loose early to fall from the #1 line.

Edited by 81spacetiger

I thought the NCAA tournament teams were chosen before the SEC Championship game. At least it was a few years ago.

• Like 1

If we don't at least make the SEC Tourney Finals, we won't get an NCAA #1 seed.

And that would be fair, and fine.  A #2 seed would be almost as good.

But let's win the SEC Tourney, getting revenge against UF, Arky, and beat KY again in claiming a #1 seed.

• Like 2

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, toddc said:

From AP:

"...Tenth-ranked Wisconsin lost leading scorer Johnny Davis when he was injured on a flagrant foul early in the second half, and the Badgers missed a chance to clinch the Big Ten title outright by falling to Nebraska 74-73 Sunday..."

Tough loss; it shows stuff happens like when we lost Chuma to an accident on the floor.  I hope Jabari doesn't get hurt as we go forward.

50 minutes ago, 81spacetiger said:

From AP:

"...Tenth-ranked Wisconsin lost leading scorer Johnny Davis when he was injured on a flagrant foul early in the second half, and the Badgers missed a chance to clinch the Big Ten title outright by falling to Nebraska 74-73 Sunday..."

Tough loss; it shows stuff happens like when we lost Chuma to an accident on the floor.  I hope Jabari doesn't get hurt as we go forward.

Don’t even speak this bad juju on us. C’mon man! 😝 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, BigBlueWDE said:

Kansas ain't all that. 2nd round loss is my bet. 

Edited by kennypowers
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 81spacetiger said:

With Duke loosing last night we are a LOCK preconference championship play.  Before Duke loosing last night, Joe Lunardi had us as a #1 seed.  I am certain we ARE a #1 seed without question since Duke lost.  ESPN uses Lunardi's call for potential NCAA seeding.  He updates with greater frequency as we are getting closer to the big dance.  Look for his update tomorrow which will be before the major conferences start their championship games.   

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

His current top seeds are:  Gonzaga, Arizona, Baylor, and Auburn (I believe in that order).  Duke was the only one that could have bumped us out as they had love in the AP (ranked 4) and coaches (ranked 2) poll when they had 4 losses.  But they lost at home last night to an unranked team and is the top dog (only ranked team) in a perceived down ACC.  If Kansas beats Baylor and wins the Big 12 they will get their place but if we win the SEC, we will move to the #3 slot and Kansas will get last #1 seed.

You do realize that Joe Lunardi is not on the Selection Committee, don't you? All he's got is an educated guess.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, toddc said:

I thought the NCAA tournament teams were chosen before the SEC Championship game. At least it was a few years ago.

I don't know how they could be, because what happens if Georgia gets hot and wins the SEC Tournament? They aren't in the NCAA Tourney without winning the SEC Tourney; just making it to the championship game wouldn't be enough for them. While I realize that it is unlikely any non-NCAA Tourney bubble team would make the conference finals, and a bubble team that did make it to the SEC Tourney championship game would likely have already played their way in, it's at least possible for something whacky to happen...

• Thanks 1

To be honest, I'm not all that concerned about the SEC Tourney except for playing well. Let's just go there, play hard, play smart, STAY HEALTHY, and have fun for a change. We've got a good enough resume' to be a #1 right now. Duke is out, despite all the Coach K love and hype they've been endlessly pumping. You don't lose a home grand finale by 13 to a team you demolished on the road by 20 a few weeks ago. What a crash and burn that was. Very bad. Gonzaga, Arizona, and Baylor, I get. Kansas, I don't. THREE double digit losses including a HOME blowout loss to Kentucky, whom we beat by 9. But they conveniently overlook it. Even Baylor has some holes in their resume' as well. Back to back HOME losses. TWO other double digit losses. How many home or double digit losses for Auburn? Zip. And we beat the first 2 teams to punch tickets. Some CBS online writer yesterday wrote we had the luxury of not playing AT Arkansas? Please.

Edited by slyinsocal
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MaxCohen216 said:

Regular season success is relevant, but SEC Tourney success means more, I think.  We should be very proud of winning the regular season SEC championship.  It's a great accomplishment.  But if we think we're playing better than KY right now, we're mistaken.

We've got work to do.

We won the SEC Tourney and got seeded 5th. The whole body of work means a lot more. Winning the SEC Regular season title is a lot harder and a bigger accomplishment. Win the Sec Tourney is splashier and gets more buzz because everyone is fixated on the sport at that point because of March Madness. It gets the glitz and the glamour. I obviously want to win both but if I had to choose one give me the SEC Regular season title. 

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, toddc said:

Georgia had no chance of getting into the Big Dance several years ago and got hot in the SEC Tourney and won it. That automatically put them into the NCAA Tourney. So, as far as I know, the NCAA Tourney isn't set before the SEC Title Game due to the Conference Tournament winner getting an automatic bid.

• Like 1