#1 seed in the NCAA Tournament

Rednilla

Oklahoma really did us a solid today, knocking off Baylor. We have a W over the team that knocked off a #1 seed contender

Edited by BigBlueWDE
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, BigBlueWDE said:

Oklahoma really did us a solid today, knocking off Baylor. We have a W over the team that knocked off the #1 seed contender

Gonzaga lost to bama, we beat them twice. Baylor lost to Oklahoma we beat them by 18. Kansas got trounced by Kentucky and we beat them by 9. 3 teams vying for that 1 seed has lost to teams that Auburn has beaten.

Oklahoma has been so damn unlucky all year with close losses. Their luck had to turn around soon.

Yeah Oklahoma's basketball team this year reminds me of Auburn's baseball team last year. If even half of those 1 run games had gone the other way Auburn was looking at a guaranteed tourney spot. 

• Like 2

Dumb dumb Joe keeps proving he's one very bad bracketologist. Baylor loses against Oklahoma and drops to 4, but Kansas moves up to 3. There's absolutely no logical reasoning behind Kansas/Baylor being over Auburn/Kentucky.

And then says the only way to knock Baylor off the 1 line is for either Auburn or Kentucky to win the tourney.

• Like 1

Hopefully they let Auburn play like this tomorrow. There has been a lot of contact and no calls in this Vandy game

Edited by e808

1 hour ago, tgrogan21 said:

Dumb dumb Joe keeps proving he's one very bad bracketologist. Baylor loses against Oklahoma and drops to 4, but Kansas moves up to 3. There's absolutely no logical reasoning behind Kansas/Baylor being over Auburn/Kentucky.

And then says the only way to knock Baylor off the 1 line is for either Auburn or Kentucky to win the tourney.

Baylor still being over us is definitely an example of a guy sticking to his guns, but he does give the qualifier that they'd be passed by whoever wins the SEC. I think if Auburn or UK wins tomorrow, they'll be put over in his next update

Its occasionally confusing bc some of his placements will be of the moment (as you'd expect with a daily update) and some will be a sort of projection. Baylor does play in a tougher conference and does have more good wins, but every ranking system in the world thought they were close to a "teens" team before they beat Kansas. That clearly validated them again, maybe too much imo. 

I didn't think Baylor should've been where they were after that KU win, but I will give them they had the harder SOS and was only 1 game behind us. They got better wins than us too..but that should all be done after losing to a fairly solid but not much more than that OU team. Unless Auburn loses to A&M, no loss they could possibly end up with this tourney is worse than losing to OU 

As long as Auburn protects the boards better than they did in the first half of the first half vs A&M, that shouldn't be a particularly difficult game. Couldnt watch most of it but it looks like that same Coleman fella just gave Castleton some trouble and they did enough to survive after having the big lead disappear 

1 hour ago, tgrogan21 said:

If I had to guess at what he is thinking will happen, I think he is suggesting UK beats Auburn to take the SEC tournament crown and Kansas takes the Big12 tournament crown.  That's the only logical ordering of UK ahead of Auburn on the 2 seed line.  If we take the SEC crown, we will be on the #1 line no question.  

I wonder if UT beats UK, can they get to a #2 seed?  Of course we would still take out UT in the title game.

39 minutes ago, 81spacetiger said:

If I had to guess at what he is thinking will happen, I think he is suggesting UK beats Auburn to take the SEC tournament crown and Kansas takes the Big12 tournament crown.  That's the only logical ordering of UK ahead of Auburn on the 2 seed line.  If we take the SEC crown, we will be on the #1 line no question.  

I wonder if UT beats UK, can they get to a #2 seed?  Of course we would still take out UT in the title game.

He has Auburn ahead of Kentucky here.  Auburn 5 and Kentucky 6

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 81spacetiger said:

That's the thing, though. Looking at resume, we shouldn't *have* to win the Tourney to get a 1 seed. The fact that he believes that is just further prove he's not good at what he does.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, 81spacetiger said:

my bad, you are right.  I wasn't looking at it correctly

Yea it looks like they Zig zag the seeds to essentially give the 1 overall seed the worst 2 seed or 8th overall. 

3 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

That's the thing, though. Looking at resume, we shouldn't *have* to win the Tourney to get a 1 seed. The fact that he believes that is just further prove he's not good at what he does.

Agreed. But let's win the SEC Tourney anyway and make it a moot point.

Does AU really deserve a 2-seed? That's saying that we are one of the top 8 teams in the country. AU is now 1-5 in its six most recent road games. A top 8 team would do better than that. All the tournament games will be road games.

If I were doing the seeding I'd make AU a 3-seed and feel a little guilty about putting us so high.

Edited by Mikey

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

Does AU really deserve a 2-seed? That's saying that we are one of the top 8 teams in the country. AU is now 1-5 in its six most recent road games. A top 8 team would do better than that. All the tournament games will be road games.

If I were doing the seeding I'd make AU a 3-seed and feel a little guilty about putting us so high.

Neutral court games are not the same as road games............. FFS

• Facepalm 1

We've never handled that 1 seed very well.  We crapped the bed against Bama in 2018 in that position.  I thought AM would have been the best matchup for us because of how Florida defense would give us fits, but my goodness they had a shooter on their team that played fantastic.  Having a top 3 seed in NCAA gives you a solid chance to build some momentum gradually the first weekend. We just need momentum again I think.  Beat a 14 or 15 seed, then a 6, 7, 10, or 11 seed before it gets real.  Of course those 11 seeds have been tougher than the 10 seeds it seems lately lol.  If we can get to the sweet 16, I think we can be game for the rest of tourney.  Just hope the draw is good enough to do that.  The biggest downfall of the recent play is do we end up in a favorable region for Auburn fans to travel?

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Neutral court games are not the same as road games............. FFS

Why yes they are. If we drive to Opelika and play an exhibition against Chattahoochee Valley Community College, it's a road game. DUH. Any game not played on the Auburn campus is a road game.

If you want to differentiate between games played on the opponent's home court and games played at a neutral site, then do so. However, both are ROAD games.

Edited by Mikey
  • Facepalm 1

Neutral court games and away games both give teams an unfamiliarity with the court/arena. We had zero problem winning on the road earlier in the season but now teams have figured out how to make us a .500 team the past several weeks. Our home court advantage is one of the best but it does us no good now. If our shooting, specifically from beyond the arc, doesn't improve we may not make the Sweet 16. We didn't play like a regular season champion against TAM and we haven't played like a 1 or 2 seed lately. At this point I think we have to hope our opponent has an off day. Wouldn't have thought this a month ago. 

14 hours ago, Mikey said:

The total body of work says yes but I agree with you as of late. 

• Like 1