Lack of National Respect

kennypowers

I realize we dropped some games late that we shouldn't have, but in all 4 season losses (2 in OT), our Average Differential in those games is -4 points.

Total Losses Avg. Point. Diff - 

Auburn:  -4 points
Duke:  -4.4 points (Minus UNC Game: -2.22)
Kentucky:  -6.83 points
Gonzaga:  -7.33 points
Kansas:  -8.33 points
Villanova:  -10.14 points
Baylor:  -10.6 points
Tennessee:  -10.71
Arizona:  -12 points

Duke...in Coach K's last year (in my mind) is the biggest threat.  It's got all the storybook potential.  Auburn fans know a little bit about storybooks, and we've got one in the making too.  Could be the tournament of a lifetime.

• Haha 1

Well you also have to look at the wins and we just have not had too many impressive wins recently. 1pt wins against mizzou and uga. Needed overtime to beat state. I’m my opinion any road conf win is a good one but I can also see why people aren’t high on this AU team. We go long stretches of the game we’re we look lost offensively and that will get you beat tourney time. 

But I also think our resume and wins stack up favorably with any team in the country. And that we are flying surprisingly under the radar of most talking heads. Not sure if that is because people don’t trust AU basketball or if it’s the team flaws they are focusing on. A good showing in the SEC tourney probably gets us more attention for the title. 

• Like 2

Also...this while playing in the toughest league and all losses away from home.  The road has been an absolute killer for A LOT of teams this year.  Having fans back in the stands, you really see that the crowd is a huge part of a lot of teams' success.  We need to travel well.  Glad to hear we sold more in the SEC...hope the wallets can handle 6 more.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Well you also have to look at the wins and we just have not had too many impressive wins recently. 1pt wins against mizzou and uga. Needed overtime to beat state. I’m my opinion any road conf win is a good one but I can also see why people aren’t high on this AU team. We go long stretches of the game we’re we look lost offensively and that will get you beat tourney time. 

But I also think our resume and wins stack up favorably with any team in the country. And that we are flying surprisingly under the radar of most talking heads. Not sure if that is because people don’t trust AU basketball or if it’s the team flaws they are focusing on. A good showing in the SEC tourney probably gets us more attention for the title. 

Even when we're sloppy, we've got a chance to win against anyone.  Gotta shoot well...take good shots, and keep Kessler out of foul trouble.  Guards need to play well no doubt.  Would be stellar if Flan hit a hot streak like Purifoy around this time.  JUST DON'T TURN IT OVER FELLAS.

The other unknown is, we've played in the toughest league with arguably the worst refs.  How will that affect us with non-SEC officials?  TBD.

Those numbers tell me, other teams when they struggle, they're more likely to lose.  Except Duke/Kentucky/Gonzaga.

Edited by kennypowers
  • Like 2

We have been ranked AP #1 this season and are a projected 1 seed right now. Having players and coaches getting league and national post season awards. What disrespect are you talking about? Just that some people think other teams are better than us?

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

We have been ranked AP #1 this season and are a projected 1 seed right now. Having players and coaches getting league and national post season awards. What disrespect are you talking about? Just that some people think other teams are better than us?

Everyone likes to invent a chip on their shoulder from time to time lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, gravejd said:

A good showing in the SEC tourney probably gets us more attention for the title.

Won all 4 games in the SEC tourney last time we played in it. What was our reward? A 5th seed. 

4 hours ago, kennypowers said:

we've played in the toughest league with arguably the worst refs.  How will that affect us with non-SEC officials?  TBD.

Did not realize non-SEC refs are officiating the SEC tourney. Non-SEC refs mean we will be able to get away with more steal attempts i.e. douse more ticky tack fouls. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Viper said:

Won all 4 games in the SEC tourney last time we played in it. What was our reward? A 5th seed. 

Yeah I don’t think it will change much seeding wise. Other than us or Kentucky may get that one seed if either team wins it. But as far as getting the talking heads to start mentioning AU as a title favs again I think it would help. If that is what the OP was talking about as far as no national respect….

52 minutes ago, Viper said:

Did not realize non-SEC refs are officiating the SEC tourney. Non-SEC refs mean we will be able to get away with more steal attempts i.e. douse more ticky tack fouls. 

I was talking about the NCAA on that one sorry.  

I think our lack of program is an obvious part of the equation, but that seems to have been countered by having Jabari. I’ve heard “Auburn” said by a lot of mouths that never would bc of him 

I think it really comes to the lack of relevant OOC games and how little desire the national guys have to talk about the non Jabari and Kesslers. You don’t have the multi year college stars that draw some attention either. It’s a lot of factors that have made Auburn not as relevant as some of their peers at that seed line. 

I also think we’ve gotten more coverage than like 99% of programs as well lol 

Outside of having Oscar, the thing I hear the most about UK is that Kansas win. It’s been described as the best win in CBB. UTk only had that Arizona win to fall back on for months 

A marquee OOC win does a lot of you 

I also also don’t think we should be getting the same coverage as the biggest CBB coach name ever retiring as the best coach at a top 4 program 

That’s just me being honest! Maybe one day but right now??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If there was any "disrespect". I would say there is a [negative] bias against the SEC teams and a [positive] bias for the Big 12 teams.  At this late run into the season, the Big 12 is getting lots of love to possibly have two #1 seeds, that their conference is deep and talented...  Big 10 gets some conference love, lots of good teams that beat themselves up so no one team can rise above the pack.  The SEC... maybe two lower #2 seeds.

Perhaps it is a bleed over form the SEC football dominance that others don't want to recognize the SEC has stepped up their game; for basketball we are not a 1 trick pony anymore. 

Look at the head to head matchups, the SEC won the SEC/Big12 challenge 6 - 4.  Our middle pack team bested Gonzaga and Baylor.  UK destroyed Kansas on their home court.  I don't think we have anything to prove anymore.  Whatever the seeding, I believe the SEC team strengths will come through.  I believe we have 4 really strong teams that could have 2-3 make it to a final 4 - but if the seeding puts 3 of them in one bracket so the SEC can only get 1 to a final 4 showing then that team needs to win it all to stick everyone in the eye...

Auburn doesn’t get respect because it’s Auburn basketball. Historically the worst program in the SEC. Auburn has to go out and force respect with a national title. 

I think we are getting exactly the respect we deserve. If the O&B glasses are removed, this isn't a great team.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

They have definitely regressed while other teams got better. Amazing they won so many games really. Been winning ugly for a couple months now. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, tigers23 said:

I think we are getting exactly the respect we deserve. If the O&B glasses are removed, this isn't a great team.

This is a solid team but not a great team. It's really unfortunate because Jabari & Kessler are elite and we don't have the guards to support them. In addition, some players (maybe 2-3 players) are selfish and play hero ball all day... I think this team needs more discipline and we need to find ways to utilize Jabari properly. 

Bruce will have to make some tough decisions... we might even have to get rid of at least two players soon.

Edited by AUreo

Jared Harper makes this team elite.

Sharife Cooper makes this team elite.

Mustafa Heron makes this team elite.

Really unfortunate situation to be in.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Viper said:

When you lose 9 games in the regular season and there's alot of good teams during that same regular season, it kinda happens that way. That 2019 team got hot in tourney time but they weren't really that special during the regular season. 

1 hour ago, AUreo said:

This is a solid team but not a great team. It's really unfortunate because Jabari & Kessler are elite and we don't have the guards to support them. In addition, some players (maybe 2-3 players) are selfish and play hero ball all day... I think this team needs more discipline and we need to find ways to utilize Jabari properly. 

Bruce will have to make some tough decisions... we might even have to get rid of at least two players soon.

I hope and pray 2 of our guards aren't at Auburn next season because it will be much of the same if they are. Low IQ basketball and wanting to be the hero in every game gets quiet old after awhile.