Men vs Texas A&M Game Thread

Maverick.AU

I would be so pissed off to buy tickets, plan a trip to Tampa, and watch your team not learn any lessons from the last four games and get run out of the building on the first day.

Awful, Bruce needs to sit some guys down sometime and get on their asses for that abomination in the first half, utter garbage of a plan, or lack thereof.

We will not make it input. NCAA tournament, our guards are just not good enough. Jesper should hold most of the minutes from here on out.

• Like 1

Just now, abw0004 said:

I’m trying not to react from emotion, but I have to place the blame on Bruce Pearl for refusing to give up on the three point shot in the first.  Refusal to adjust until it was way too late in the second half.  I hate it for Jabri and Walker.  

Yep. Love Bruce and all but he has to understand his guards. Our guards don't deserve the freedom that Jared and Bryce got unless they're shooting well to begin the game. They need more direction during the games. He lets the reckless shots and erratic play it go on too long. 

• Like 1

Just now, LeonardAU said:

5-4 down the stretch.  Peaked too early this season.

But not done yet.  Some good may come of this, going forward.  I certainly hope so.

• Haha 1

It's my fault. We started our comeback when I started drinking. If I'd started drinking sooner, we would have won.

• Angry 1

7 minutes ago, Dunndone414 said:

This is not even close to the most talented team in the country. We have two all-Americans and a group of very mediocre guards and wings that play hard. We win because of our mentality! 

Thank you. I think we were overrated and now we seem to be playing like the team we really are, good, but far from elite. I’m glad AU basketball is very relevant, but the last month has been very frustrating and now we lose two of the best to ever play at AU. Hope BP has his eye locked on some upcoming freshman and portal guys and I damn for sure hope we get a guy that is a three point threat. Haven’t really had that since Bryce Brown. Been a fun year anyway, but I just don’t see this team doing much else this year. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Donaldson being a legitimate point guard and Westry seemingly shaping up to be a 1 should prevent defenses from just keying in on one guy and killing the rest of the offense like what has happened for a month and a half. If you can happen to find a bootleg Jabari Smith and/or Walker Kessler, next season could be pretty similar to this one in success 

Banking on finding forwards even comparable to those two in the transfer portal is quite an assumption! 

PG isn’t even our biggest problem. Playing with Allen or DC at the 3 is like playing 4 on 5 on offense. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

A&M forced that. Those 3's were wide open.

We aren't known for our ability to hit 3's. We don't have a lights out shooter this year to prevent this from happening; so, every team we play will use the same strategy, and I don't blame them. Our guys will either step up to the challenge and adapt, or it will be a quick exit. The team has accomplished a lot this year. I am thankful for that. We have a lot of growing and developing to do still.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

A&M forced that. Those 3's were wide open.

We still shouldn't be taking them. Especially certain players. We need to go down low to start the game just like we did in the 2nd half today with Jabari and Walker. Or drive the ball and get fouls. 

We make things hard on ourselves. We can easily dictate games to our advantage but this team continues to think it can outshoot teams. 

Looked like we settled for SEC regular season champs, didn't look hungry or  have winning mentality.  We have a size advantage and just didn't abuse them with it,   I don't get this game plan at all.  Offensive rebounds  23- 11 and we still whiffed.     I feel bad for all the AU fans that paid the 3 night minimum to watch them.  Hope it motivates somebody on the team !  

12 minutes ago, Dunndone414 said:

This is not even close to the most talented team in the country. We have two all-Americans and a group of very mediocre guards and wings that play hard. We win because of our mentality! 

I meant most talented we have had collectively including depth etc.  98-99 still the best in my mind, but the depth this year makes me say this is the most talented...on paper.

• Like 1

Just not playing good basketball to close out the year. We need good guard play and/ or good leadership typically. We were hot a few years ago but just not this year. Don't have the guard play to get hot. Going to be a frustrating tournament from the looks of things. 

4 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

It's my fault. We started our comeback when I started drinking. If I'd started drinking sooner, we would have won.

My first auburn game this year with no alcohol, never again 

12 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I feel bad for Jabari. 

Hope he didn't hurt his hand punching that sign on the way back to the locker room.

• Like 1

Just now, Old fan 47 said:

Thank you. I think we were overrated and now we seem to be playing like the team we really are, good, but far from elite. I’m glad AU basketball is very relevant, but the last month has been very frustrating and now we lose two of the best to ever play at AU. Hope BP has his eye locked on some upcoming freshman and portal guys and I damn for sure hope we get a guy that is a three point threat. Haven’t really had that since Bryce Brown. Been a fun year anyway, but I just don’t see this team doing much else this year. 

As much as I hate to admit it, I think this is the truth. College basketball teams this year aren't elite. Only a handful are "very good" such as Gonzaga, Arizona, and maybe Kentucky and the rest are "good" and that includes Auburn. It's as @Dual-Threat Rigbyonce said -- teams have scouted us to the T after our initial start (22-1), and they've laid a blueprint on how to stop us. We've been winning some close games but a lucky bounce or not we could very well lose to games like Missouri, Georgia, and Miss State. This is who we are. We'll just have to make do with what we have and hope for the best.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Yep. Love Bruce and all but he has to understand his guards. Our guards don't deserve the freedom that Jared and Bryce got unless they're shooting well to begin the game. They need more direction during the games. He lets the reckless shots and erratic play it go on too long. 

I agree 100%. Worse than the lousy game plan, I believe like the member posted below, Auburn peaked way back in February.

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

My first auburn game this year with no alcohol, never again 

We have the person to blame folks.  Broke it.

18 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

This team broke when Zep went out for a few games. They were clicking perfectly and then they basically lost it after that. 

Exactly what I've been thinking. That's when it all started. Plus the emergence of 2 players on this team that think they're All World but in reality are just really low IQ players who occasionally get hot.

Just now, kennypowers said:

We have the person to blame folks.  Broke it.

Sadly can't drink at work, or I def would have been lol

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Randman5000 said:

Just not playing good basketball to close out the year. We need good guard play and/ or good leadership typically. We were hot a few years ago but just not this year. Don't have the guard play to get hot. Going to be a frustrating tournament from the looks of things. 

I am afraid you are right.

20 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

At least my weekend is free to play in the snow.

Watch the gym meet tomorrow at Michigan. Or the softball series. 

2 minutes ago, Dunndone414 said:

Banking on finding forwards even comparable to those two in the transfer portal is quite an assumption! 

PG isn’t even our biggest problem. Playing with Allen or DC at the 3 is like playing 4 on 5 on offense. 

Yeah...we're going to need to find some flat our scorers for next year. At least 2 of them.