Men vs Texas A&M Game Thread

Maverick.AU

4 minutes ago, AUDynasty said:

Gonzaga went to the national championship game last year and is a heavy favorite to make to the Final Four. Sure, Kentucky can very well win it all, but Gonzaga is one fantastic team. St. Mary played a great game against Gonzaga and Gonzaga got their revenge on them in their WCC championship game.

The point I'm trying to make is that you can expect Gonzaga to come out prepared. Can you say the same about Auburn? We've been prone to slow starts for too long and when that happens, we shouldn't be surprised at the results like today. It is what it is.

I get what u saying. Gonzaga in those two games that I mention played like crap from the beginning and were behind by double digits. They may be prepared but if they play any team with a pulse they are probably done. 

1 hour ago, TeamZero77 said:

I'll get down voted but who cares. Ar what point are we gonna blame Bruce Pearl?? 

We all slam our football coaches who get beat on certain plays but they keep running the same play. Like at LSU in 2017 we ran up the middle on 17 straight 1st downs. We call that mess out real quick but Bruce is about to let this once #1 team, shoot bricks until we build a brick road back to Auburn. 

You sound exactly like the fools you railed against when you first started posting.

One minute you're praising the greatest basketball coach to EVER set foot on the Auburn campus.

Bashing him the next.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, slyinsocal said:

You sound exactly like the fools you railed against when you first started posting.

One minute you're praising the greatest basketball coach to EVER set foot on the Auburn campus.

Bashing him the next.

Did anyone hear them interview Buzz at half and he mentioned something about Coach Dye was the only one that didn’t get a rebound?

what the heck was that? Was he degrading Coach Dye?

49 minutes ago, AUDynasty said:

As much as I hate to admit it, I think this is the truth. College basketball teams this year aren't elite. Only a handful are "very good" such as Gonzaga, Arizona, and maybe Kentucky and the rest are "good" and that includes Auburn. It's as @Dual-Threat Rigbyonce said -- teams have scouted us to the T after our initial start (22-1), and they've laid a blueprint on how to stop us. We've been winning some close games but a lucky bounce or not we could very well lose to games like Missouri, Georgia, and Miss State. This is who we are. We'll just have to make do with what we have and hope for the best.

Yeah the ideal Auburn that people keep bringing up, the one from pre February can’t exist unless we had a counter punch to the counter punch. And unfortunately, we never displayed one. 

There never really was a fall back plan for if shots stopped falling, and there definitely wasn’t a fall back plan if no one could shoot AND Jabari couldn’t give you a #1 overall pick type game. The latter is the main reason we even won the conference at all in that last handful of games 

I can’t even suggest it become a reflection point for Pearl, because he’s succeeded as much as you can and is that guy. But we got here in 2020 too after a great start to the season and it was the same thing then. Our guards weren’t great facilitators and there wasn’t much we could do away from home once that was figured out. Now…those guys could get a bucket and I’ll never take that away from Samir, Jvon, whoever else. It just needed to be more than get a bucket 

And hopefully, that’s what is preached over the offseason. We need some more shooters (or shooting from guys who are here), but we don’t need more scorers

10 minutes ago, AUDynasty said:

Gonzaga went to the national championship game last year and is a heavy favorite to make to the Final Four. Sure, Kentucky can very well win it all, but Gonzaga is one fantastic team. St. Mary played a great game against Gonzaga and Gonzaga got their revenge on them in their WCC championship game.

The point I'm trying to make is that you can expect Gonzaga to come out prepared. Can you say the same about Auburn? We've been prone to slow starts for too long and when that happens, we shouldn't be surprised at the results like today. It is what it is.

Have you watched them this year? They're a solid team but they're not far and wide the best team. Outside of them San Fran and St. Mary's are the only decent teams in that conference. They will be prepared but at the same time they lost to Bama. The same Bama we beat twice. The also lost to Duke who's an average team. That Gonzaga team last year was their best team they've had and they've had some good teams over the years. 

Gonzaga's issue during the tourney has been lack of athleticism. Jalen Suggs was the most athletic player they've had and it showed. Last year was their year to win it all but Baylor had 3 - 4 incredible guards. Gonzaga needed a buzzer beater by Suggs against UCLA to face Baylor. 

St. Mary's showed that if you can contain Timmy and make the other shoot a high percentage....many teams can beat them. The most athletic player they have is Andrew Nembhard. 

I agree 100% with you that they'll be prepared as a team compared to us but they also have a system that players typically stay in for more than a year or 2. However, i just don't buy the clippings they're the clear cut favorite. Several teams are more prepared than us at this point. 

Zep has the right mindset but he has GOT to get a tighter handle to be a lead guard, and he has to figure out how to find a way to demand more attention to him vs a defense. Idk what that is but I’d guess shooting more 

Wendell is still so young, this offseason could be 1000 different things for him. I hope he develops more of an inbetween (between the rim and the three point line) game. The floater has been there for him. He can still be everything he wants to be on this level just gotta grind, which I think he will 

Arkansas shooting 16% from 3 and LSU shooting 14% from 3.  

Edited by fishepa

33 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

We don't have anyone better to replace them with. They're going to keep shooting it if he doesn't say anything about it. Therefore, it's on Bruce. 

If we don't have anyone to replace them with, that's on Bruce as well

Just now, NWALA Tiger said:

If we don't have anyone to replace them with, that's on Bruce as well

Why not give Berman a chance. Since Flanigan returned, Berman ain't sniffed the floor except in garbage time.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, e808 said:

I am not sure about their defense. I saw Auburn had a significant height advantage inside . There is no way TAMU  should have been able to mitigate the height advantage being undersized. Especially with Auburns two most skilled players being bigs

But u gotta remember,  Jabari is a jump shooter. Kessler has no inside offensive moves unless it's a lob dunk. Neither of those guys are post up players. Sometimes Kessler thinks he is a guard. He can flog up a bad 3 with the best of them. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, NWALA Tiger said:

Why not give Berman a chance. Since Flanigan returned, Berman ain't sniffed the floor except in garbage time.

He was getting some run before he went out. Can't remember if was out due to injury or Covid protocols. I can't remember. I recall him getting like 5 -7 minutes. Then it went down to nothing. I'd rather him shoot 3s for sure than some other guys we have. If i had to guess why his time decreased, he likely was a liability on defense but I'd give him some burn.

4 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Just checked his stats on ESPN and he's shooting 41% on the year from 3. So you'd have a point to give him some run.

Just now, WarEagle1983 said:

Just checked his stats on ESPN and he's shooting 41% on the year from 3. So you'd have a point to give him some run.

Sorry 47% from 3.

3 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

No. Berman had a bad ankle injury that kept him out for like 6 weeks. 

that’s why he hadn’t played. 
the reason he hasn’t gotten back in since was that we struggled getting rebounds so Pearl started playing Moore a little along w Devan and Flan. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WarEagle1983 said:

He was getting some run before he went out. Can't remember if was out due to injury or Covid protocols. I can't remember. I recall him getting like 5 -7 minutes. Then it went down to nothing. I'd rather him shoot 3s for sure than some other guys we have. If i had to guess why his time decreased, he likely was a liability on defense but I'd give him some burn.

Nobody was playing D today .. Aggies lit our a$$ UP all day

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

No. Berman had a bad ankle injury that kept him out for like 6 weeks. 

that’s why he hadn’t played. 
the reason he hasn’t gotten back in since was that we struggled getting rebounds so Pearl started playing Moore a little along w Devan and Flan. 

Cambridge is another one that can flog a 3. We got a team full of them.... I bet he ain't hitting 15% on 3... Yet , he still shooting LOL... he is a good off rebounder

Edited by NWALA Tiger

2 hours ago, fishepa said:

Team peaked a couple of months ago.

This . A few weeks ago it was hilarious for some that AU dropped 2 straight games on the road. Also too many people held on to the 1 seed crap, when AU was flat. 3-4 seed maybe . Now AU is the underdog. 

1 hour ago, AUDynasty said:

See, here's what I'm thinking with how we're approaching these games lately. We're 5-4 in our last nine games. We've gone back to Earth after our 22-1 start. We're 9 out of 36 today beyond the arc. Past few games (except one or two) we've been shooting below average from the 3 line in what you'd like for a contender.

I think Pearl is trying to make a point that we have to have the ball inside or at least from top of the key in order to generate scoring. Take 3s only when they're open, and that's it. KD went for 0-14 today. They'll have extra rest and these times spent MUST be all about nailing down roles and recognizing situational basketball (such as making sure to drive or going for an extra pass if you've missed last three shots).

This team knows they'll be making an early exit if they continue to play this style of basketball, and I expect them to make adjustments... if not, then don't be surprised if we go home in the first weekend. I still think we got a shot, but a lot of things will need to go right if we want to make a deep run.

Part of the problem is we have no inside offensive game. Jabari is a spot up 6ft 10 in jump shooter. Kessler came to AU cause he didn't wanna be a back to the basket center. Cardwell,  well, no offensive game whatsoever.. If I'm 7ft 1in, . I'm owning the paint off and def.. So as far as being tall and dominant on the Inside on offense? It's more LOOK LIKE TARZAN, PLAY LIKE JANE.

7 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

This . A few weeks ago it was hilarious for some that AU dropped 2 straight games on the road. Also too many people held on to the 1 seed crap, when AU was flat. 3-4 seed maybe . Now AU is the underdog. 

Was it about the time Flanagan was inserted in lineup?

• Haha 1

Looking forward to seeing the coaching staff does between now and the NCAA tournament.  The guard play and half court offensive need to be fixed to the extent we can make changes. 

It would ne nice to see the coach make some CHANGES when the guard play is looking off track EARLY in the game.  Why wait when you can see the HOLE opening up early in the game. I hope everyone is made to sit and watch that performance to see what a $hit $how looks like.

I posted earlier this EXACT defensive strategy was coming. Everybody been blaming everybody except the players blame should be on......

Johnson and green have to be better. They have to control pace, handle the ball, and create better. Has nothing to do with Cambridge or Flannigan or anybody else. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I posted earlier this EXACT defensive strategy was coming. Everybody been blaming everybody except the players blame should be on......

Johnson and green have to be better. They have to control pace, handle the ball, and create better. Has nothing to do with Cambridge or Flannigan or anybody else. 

I absolutely agree. KD and Green combined for 5-26 today, 5 turnovers, and just 3 assists. We're going to live or die with them as they will not stop shooting the rock. Hope that the rims we face along the way in the tournament are forgiving.

• Thanks 1