Men vs Texas A&M Game Thread

Maverick.AU

1 hour ago, slyinsocal said:

You sound exactly like the fools you railed against when you first started posting.

One minute you're praising the greatest basketball coach to EVER set foot on the Auburn campus.

Bashing him the next.

I give him praise when he deserves it and I call him out when he deserves it. You're a typical sunshine pumper who can't see reality because you're blinded by your Orange and Blue glasses. 

Just now, TeamZero77 said:

I give him praise when he deserves it and I call him out when he deserves it. You're a typical sunshine pumper who can't see reality because you're blinded by your Orange and Blue glasses. 

Fair game... He deserves to be critized after today .. To shoot 36. 3's is ridiculous 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Was it about the time Flanagan was inserted in lineup?

He's getting too many minutes for sure.

• Like 1

I lay most of the blame at Bruce feet... He knew the D the aggies would play. Yet had no answer, other than let the squad shoot bricks from 3... He done alot for AU,but a performance like today deserves to be called out. It's not just 1 or 2 players, they ALL contributed today. He never seems to question shot selection.. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

Did anyone hear them interview Buzz at half and he mentioned something about Coach Dye was the only one that didn’t get a rebound?

what the heck was that? Was he degrading Coach Dye?

Yeah, that was strange.    I really don't know what connection he was trying to make other than even a deceased football coach could have gotten rebounds?    Weird.    

This Gonzaga slander is so strange. They blow out weak teams in the WCC, sure. But they also have two better OOC wins than anything we have! (Texas Tech and UCLA). This also isn’t the Cinderella Gonzaga story anymore, they’re loaded with top recruits. I hope we aren’t in their bracket. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, fishepa said:

Arkansas shooting 16% from 3 and LSU shooting 14% from 3.  

Arky has proven they can make them consistently. They have good guard play. Main thing i don't like about today's basketball college and NBA is players don't work on their mid range game. Players have no idea what to do with the ball when they're wide open 10 - 15 feet. All season in college basketball i've seen guys try to drive it deeper only to get an offensive foul b/c they will not take an open mid range shot. 

14 minutes ago, Dunndone414 said:

This Gonzaga slander is so strange. They blow out weak teams in the WCC, sure. But they also have two better OOC wins than anything we have! (Texas Tech and UCLA). This also isn’t the Cinderella Gonzaga story anymore, they’re loaded with top recruits. I hope we aren’t in their bracket. 

I'm not slandering them but to say they're the clear favorite; isn't accurate when you're barely tested. Yes, they're better than Auburn at this point but when looking at the totality of the field...they have barely been tested. Yes, they recruit very well but the narrative for them is still the same each year they're ranked #1 for most of the season. When it comes to being able to beat the better teams in power conferences and win it all. 

At this point, Auburn isn't going to like most of its matchups in whatever bracket we're in.

• Like 1

Yes we missed a ton of 3s today but we didn't take a ton of "bad" 3s. Most of the 3 pointers we shot today were uncontested. That's tough on a coach because you don't want to tell your guys to stop shooting when they have wide open looks. One thing for folks to realize is that if we make our season average today we'd have won the game. 

I hate the loss -- but more because it was embarrassing than anything else. We should still get a #2 seed which may actually help us since we'll likely be closer to home.

Here's to some time for guys to practice their strokes, Walker to rest his shoulder a bit more, and let's go get 'em in the Dance.

• Like 1

Bruce explained why he allows his guys to shoot so many 3's even when the team is cold and he said "my guys give 100% on defense and that's nearly impossible to find in college. I tell them if you give me 100% on defense, I'll let you shoot your shot on offense." 

It must be said, the 3 is only Jabari's "shot".    We don't have a three point game this year and since we don't, inside the 3 point line will be jammed packed and it will be our undoing.  You can't win the NCAA championship if you don't have a balanced game.

2 hours ago, The Defiant said:

I would be so pissed off to buy tickets, plan a trip to Tampa, and watch your team not learn any lessons from the last four games and get run out of the building on the first day.

Awful, Bruce needs to sit some guys down sometime and get on their asses for that abomination in the first half, utter garbage of a plan, or lack thereof.

We will not make it input. NCAA tournament, our guards are just not good enough. Jesper should hold most of the minutes from here on out.

I love Jasper but aside from his great game, he has not exactly killed it recently. Increased turnovers and blown defensive assignments. 

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Yeah the ideal Auburn that people keep bringing up, the one from pre February can’t exist unless we had a counter punch to the counter punch. And unfortunately, we never displayed one. 

There never really was a fall back plan for if shots stopped falling, and there definitely wasn’t a fall back plan if no one could shoot AND Jabari couldn’t give you a #1 overall pick type game. The latter is the main reason we even won the conference at all in that last handful of games 

I can’t even suggest it become a reflection point for Pearl, because he’s succeeded as much as you can and is that guy. But we got here in 2020 too after a great start to the season and it was the same thing then. Our guards weren’t great facilitators and there wasn’t much we could do away from home once that was figured out. Now…those guys could get a bucket and I’ll never take that away from Samir, Jvon, whoever else. It just needed to be more than get a bucket 

And hopefully, that’s what is preached over the offseason. We need some more shooters (or shooting from guys who are here), but we don’t need more scorers

On the other forums, we call it "halftime adjustments and in game adjustments".

You are right:  we don't have a lot of counters or adjustments really.  

Our game has been run willy - nilly down court, move the ball to an open shot or go inside to Kessler which opens up perimeter shooting.   We have no depth if the shot is contested (besides Jabari), if you shut down the paint area, we are not a threat to really score from the perimeter.   

Lastly, we have legs because we can roll out a lot of players who will play D.  No offensive depth. 

That's who we are in a nutshell. 

2 hours ago, AUatHeart said:

Oh well, this was ugly but we’ll still get a high seed and hopefully have a better showing

Thats the spirit!

17 minutes ago, cole256 said:

@Dual-Threat Rigby

A game like this is why I said what I said as far as if we had Mark. If we had a true PG we'd be much more dangerous

No sure I agree:  we don't have much depth at O.  Having a new PG wouldn't make us better at shooting the 3 and teams could still mitigate Kessler if we can't draw them out.  

1 hour ago, TeamZero77 said:

LOL! Have you ever actually BEEN to a practice? Sat next to coaches during games for 4 years? Setup video equipment? Been in a locker room? Do you have the slightest clue about what goes on behind the scenes of a basketball team? I have pointed out MANY things. Mainly the lack of guard depth. One thing I won't do, is kneejerk react and hurl stuff like a spoiled brat that doesn't get their way.

2 hours ago, Dunndone414 said:

We also got beat by much worse teams than Saint Mary’s

The lack of a great OOC win is a reason why we were locked out of the 1 seed by so many pollsters before this. That and no great road wins. 

Hopefully Oats leaves and JD looks to transfer out. The shot selection for him is a bit odd, but I don’t think the place he’s at is helping shore up his deficiencies in shooting. But that play making man..

If we lived in a world where you had him instead of say KD (this is just pure hypothetical, not wanting anyone booted), and rolled him out alongside Westry and Donaldson in a couple years? Man 

36 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Hopefully Oats leaves and JD looks to transfer out. The shot selection for him is a bit odd, but I don’t think the place he’s at is helping shore up his deficiencies in shooting. But that play making man..

If we lived in a world where you had him instead of say KD (this is just pure hypothetical, not wanting anyone booted), and rolled him out alongside Westry and Donaldson in a couple years? Man 

KD needs to come give the energy off the bench. We need another Guard next year.

And I know everyone says Kessler should go pro but he could use another year. He's great defensively but he scores so much because he's tall, he going to need more work. Maybe he'll get that in the pros but he'll be a bench warmer for a bit. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

KD needs to come give the energy off the bench. We need another Guard next year.

And I know everyone says Kessler should go pro but he could use another year. He's great defensively but he scores so much because he's tall, he going to need more work. Maybe he'll get that in the pros but he'll be a bench warmer for a bit. 

He would get eaten alive in the pros right now. He needs to get alot stronger. He has good timing for blocking shots but his offensive game needs work 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Randman5000 said:

I would contend that Kessler could be more of an offensive threat with real facilitators and a good offense. In a game where he had one good shoulder and his guards played their usual mehness, he still got 16 vs a team that flustered Castleton (who’s definitely a great offensive player).

I don’t see what he’d gain from staying another season here unless he knew for a fact that defenses wouldn’t just be able to do what they did vs us for the past month and a half again. He doesn’t even get the ball 90% of the time he’s in good position 😂

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

Bruce explained why he allows his guys to shoot so many 3's even when the team is cold and he said "my guys give 100% on defense and that's nearly impossible to find in college. I tell them if you give me 100% on defense, I'll let you shoot your shot on offense." 

I still don't like this approach because after 32 games, you are what you are and we aren't good from 3.

It seems so weird to me that you have to   “reward” a guy for giving 100% effort  and let him shoot any ymca street ball shot anytime he wants. Maybe need to recruit different players I dunno. Odd world we live in these days. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Agree. One of the reasons he came here was to showcase more of his shooting. He can hit 10 - 12 foot shots but he's played a great deal in heading our defense. I do think another year will help his stock when it comes to his offense. However, i can fully understand if he chooses to work on it in the NBA versus coming back.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Huh? That's my point

It sounded like you were saying we took a lot of forced threes. 
We didn’t. Many of those were open threes. I mean, why cover them if we can’t hit them, right!