Men vs Texas A&M Game Thread

Maverick.AU

At work, haven’t caught much of it, but there’s not too much that looks different outside of Kessler being bad (and that’s not me trying to insult him, his resume speaks for itself overall). This defense depends on him so much and obviously the offense hasn’t been there for a while. 
Outside of Kessler and them selling out to deny Jabari, I feel like virtually everything else has been the same, from what I’ve seen 

I liked that Zep is getting the ball more at the three point line. He’s also getting more ball handling opportunities, which have been a mixed bag to say the least. But he’s your best guard shooter so you’ll need to at least have him keep throwing them out there 

This has been happening for 10 games now. And Bruce just let's it happen. When Karl Ravech, a BASEBALL commentator, keeps saying you shoot too many 3's and bad shots then you know it's a problem. Wendell, KD and Flan are hurting this team.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Has the team peaked ? The body language is bad. I’m not see the effort . Just a rough start. 

I said that a few weeks ago and most people threw a fit. This team is not playing very good and hasn’t for the last few weeks. This is the time when good teams get hot, not the opposite. I don’t see us getting past a second round game in the tourney. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, e808 said:

All of their bad habits have really reared their ugly head. I can’t believe CBP hasn’t reigned this in. I hope they have some pride and make a serious run in the second half

I agree. Bruce is the best, but I think it's fair to question why he hasn't reigned things in. I get trying to let a team figure itself out in February or whatever, but man, we're in the postseason not sure if it's the best time to still be doing that, lol

• Like 1
  • Love 2

9 minutes ago, dmbseeker00 said:

This team is playing like the worst team in the SEC, bad shooting, out of control, and bad decisions. Can’t even make our FTs. This team can’t beat much of anyone anymore, away from Auburn.

Said that a few weeks ago. Even a neutral site is not your home court and this team continuously reminds us of that. 

5 minutes ago, au302 said:

20 three attempts. This squad thinks they're the 2019 team. That team had shooters all over, and this team does not. Play inside where our strengths are. It's mind boggling 

I don't disagree with any of this.

But, Fwiw, and for sake of discussion

Screenshot_20220311-130338.png

I'll get down voted but who cares. Ar what point are we gonna blame Bruce Pearl?? 

We all slam our football coaches who get beat on certain plays but they keep running the same play. Like at LSU in 2017 we ran up the middle on 17 straight 1st downs. We call that mess out real quick but Bruce is about to let this once #1 team, shoot bricks until we build a brick road back to Auburn. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

At work, haven’t caught much of it, but there’s not too much that looks different outside of Kessler being bad (and that’s not me trying to insult him, his resume speaks for itself overall). This defense depends on him so much and obviously the offense hasn’t been there for a while. 
Outside of Kessler and them selling out to deny Jabari, I feel like virtually everything else has been the same, from what I’ve seen 

I liked that Zep is getting the ball more at the three point line. He’s also getting more ball handling opportunities, which have been a mixed bag to say the least. But he’s your best guard shooter so you’ll need to at least have him keep throwing them out there 

I'm sad to say but you couldn't be more wrong. It is not just Kessler. Everyone is apathetic and letting A&M dictate what we get on offense. It's probably the worst I've seen them play all season and I've watched 95% of all the games.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, au302 said:

20 three attempts. This squad thinks they're the 2019 team. That team had shooters all over, and this team does not. Play inside where our strengths are. It's mind boggling 

Man, I agree it's this analogy, "A fish wants to be a bird, but he's not, he is a fish, fish can't become birds not even flying fish. Each have respective strengths to thrive and survive, so stick to what you do best or you will just get eaten trying to become a bird....you fool."

We just don't have strength at Point Guard to be shooting 3s, stick to driving inside and draw fouls even if they block lanes, crowd the center. Just do what is aligned with your strengths. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

This has been happening for 10 games now. And Bruce just let's it happen. When Karl Ravech, a BASEBALL commentator, keeps saying you shoot too many 3's and bad shots then you know it's a problem. Wendell, KD and Flan are hurting this team.

They are wide open. You have to hit a few. Otherwise, you can't get it in the paint 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, TeamZero77 said:

I'll get down voted but who cares. Ar what point are we gonna blame Bruce Pearl?? 

We all slam our football coaches who get beat on certain plays but they keep running the same play. Like at LSU in 2017 we ran up the middle on 17 straight 1st downs. We call that mess out real quick but Bruce is about to let this once #1 team, shoot bricks until we build a brick road back to Auburn. 

Because we have championships under him. Why is it important to blame him? The guys have to score the open shots from the outside. It is like having a passing game to compliment the running game in football. Make a few outside shots and the defense extends and gives you space on the inside. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Auburn93 said:

They are wide open. You have to hit a few. Otherwise, you can't get it in the paint 

This.

TAM's game plan is working  perfectly.  G us 3 pt attempts.

Edited by homersapien

One thing that isn’t surprising and will probably prove to be really problematic if we don’t change our approach: KD and Green are combined 1-16 in the first half. Like it or not but our postseason success will depend on them as they will not stop taking shots.

• Like 1

I suspect CBP has been wanting the team to work through the 3 point shooting slump and been green lighting this.   Someone get to Western Union quick and send him a telegram -  "it ain't working, time for plan B"

We have been looking a step slow the last ten games. The rest of the season we looked quicker and better. Other teams got quicker, we did not progress. And now we are equal, except we can’t shoot any more either!

Perspective: if we climb back to a 30% overall shooting performance by the end of the game, that means we will have gone (bonus pts: future perfect tense) 15/33 (assuming 70 shots taken total by the end of the game) in the 2nd half. I am assuming 11 2's and 4 3's, which yields a 2nd half point total of 34 pts from FGs; I add in 9 made free throws to come to a point total of 43. So we will have scored 64 total points: well below our average, but respectable considering the 1st half atrocity. The key is to turn TAMU over and limit their number of possessions/shots, so that they score no more than 26 points in the second half. If they score 6 from the foul line and get 2 3's and 7 2's (9 total FGs in the 2nd half), it's possible. That would be like 9/32 FGs in the 2nd half, which is a relatively poor percentage, but when combined with their 1st half shooting of 15/33 FGs, would yield a game-total percentage of 37%, or 24/65. Doable.

• Like 1

Run our offense, make KD not be a bull in a China shop (as much as possible), tell Cambridge to just rebound and dunk, find Green some bball IQ real quick. 

** Make Flanigan a contributor again 

Edited by NoALtiger