New starting lineup

NWALA Tiger

Is it time to shake up the starting 5?

Start Cardwell and move Jabari to small Forward?

Start 3 guards with Kessler and Jabari?

Or do we keep riding what we been doing and hope for the best?

I never understood why we didn't have a big lineup with Cardwell and Kessler in at the same time, but it's too late now.  We are what we are. And like everyone else, we will lose if we go ice-cold shooting.  We now know exactly how teams will defend us. The question is "Do we have an answer?" and it starts with KD not going 0-14.  This is still a very good team. Let's hope we got our worst display of shooting out of our system.

21 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Is it time to shake up the starting 5?

Start Cardwell and move Jabari to small Forward?

Start 3 guards with Kessler and Jabari?

Or do we keep riding what we been doing and hope for the best?

No. Cardwell nor Kessler would know how to play the 4. The offense would not run smoothly. Both of them are centers period. 

its just a matter of adjusting to how we are being defended especially the point guards. 

I would like to see more Moore at 3 and maybe get more rebounding and muscle inside. 
Maybe get Zep to look more for open shots. Based on seeing his stats from where he came from he had shot 100 more shots back then. 

59 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

No. Cardwell nor Kessler would know how to play the 4. The offense would not run smoothly. Both of them are centers period. 

its just a matter of adjusting to how we are being defended especially the point guards. 

I would like to see more Moore at 3 and maybe get more rebounding and muscle inside. 
Maybe get Zep to look more for open shots. Based on seeing his stats from where he came from he had shot 100 more shots back then. 

Good point. I guess its Too late in the season to try reinvent the wheel 

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

Without a doubt! I am hoping Coach BP makes a commitment to rebounding on Offensive end and getting ball inside with Jabari’s patented jumper and Kessler being relevant again. Walker has disappeared lately.

Start Cardwell and move…no, you shouldn’t do that 

there’s no reason to start the 3 guard lineup, that was designed to be closing games (and designed to be used if the three guards are outperforming Flanigan). If you have a game like last one where Flanigan is a more positive player on offense than Zep or KD, there’s no reason to visit that lineup; it’s break in case of emergency. 
I don’t know what permutation I’d even visit. The perimeter defense (think penetration) can’t afford to be as meh as it is between Wendell and KD gambling for steals if Kessler is as limited as he is currently. So I probably wouldn’t have those two together (unless they just choose to not reach). I also probably just wouldn’t change the lineup

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby

Kessler is as limited as he is currently

Yeah, Kessler needs to get well.  Early exit from the SEC tourney may have been a blessing in disguise.

If Cardwell develops ANY type of shot it will open up so much more. When he’s on the field it’s basically 4 vs. 5. At least Kessler has shown he will shoot, & has made a few. 

17 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

If Cardwell develops ANY type of shot it will open up so much more. When he’s on the field it’s basically 4 vs. 5. At least Kessler has shown he will shoot, & has made a few. 

Not true at all. Kessler doesn't have a shot either. He just happens to make a three every 3-5 games. Most of his points are on put backs or when he's two feet from the goal. Cardwell just needs to go up with the ball when he gets it that deep down in the paint instead of kicking it out every time.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

There’s value in just being a lob threat and put back fella. He’s not an amazing rebounder but he’s solid. If you watch Cardwell before Green started being trapped on screens or with Sharife Cooper last year, he has offensive value 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, GTNupe11 said:

Not true at all. Kessler doesn't have a shot either. He just happens to make a three every 3-5 games. Most of his points are on put backs or when he's two feet from the goal. Cardwell just needs to go up with the ball when he gets it that deep down in the paint instead of kicking it out every time.

I feel like it’s a confidence thing for him, doesn’t want to miss the shot and wants to play teamball. He doesn’t take hardly anything contested 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby

Well this is an opinion of a dude who really doesn’t know anything about bball & never played, just my view from a football dude watching basketball lol

• Haha 1

If you want a different lineup then go:

Kessler, Smith, Williams, Flanigan, Jasper.  Neither Cardwell or Kessler can play 4. Even with his shoulder hurt Kessler impacts game more than Cardwell.  To go very far we either need one of our guards to get in the zone like Greene did at the end of the A&M game or we need Flanigan to play at his potential giving us a big guard who can shoot, play D, and drive.  

Right now we need to hit a few 3's early in the game forcing teams to be honest then drive once they come out on us then the pick and role to Kessler works and we have Jabari on the wing to shoot a 3. What happens now is they pack the lane stopping the drive and the role to Kessler stay tight with Smith and dare us to hit a 3.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 1

If you start both bigs, who comes in to rest them?  You really can’t make that big of a change this late. Why not best 5 at the moment and use the rest for subs to those starters. I say Kess, Jabari, Jaylin, Zep and Wendall. Regular rotation of Cardwell, DC, and KD in. If we get a lead, maybe play Flan. 

24 minutes ago, jw 4 au said:

If you start both bigs, who comes in to rest them?  You really can’t make that big of a change this late. Why not best 5 at the moment and use the rest for subs to those starters. I say Kess, Jabari, Jaylin, Zep and Wendall. Regular rotation of Cardwell, DC, and KD in. If we get a lead, maybe play Flan. 

Rotation seems to be outta whack since Bruce has put Flan back in starting lineup

• Like 2

You don't panic and change stuff up because of a loss. You change the line up you might as well not even play right before a tournament

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Well this is an opinion of a dude who really doesn’t know anything about bball & never played, just my view from a football dude watching basketball lol

No harm done, Lol. Cardwell is usually the biggest dude on the floor besides Kessler. He needs to act like it. 

• Like 1

The question wasn't in reaction to 1 loss. It's the fact the team is barely above .500 in last 10 games. But the point of  changing right b4 tourney would def be a gamble

Edited by NWALA Tiger

3 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Or let's do nothing, use the same rotation, same game plan  and hope we can hit the broad side of a barn . 

And that should work. We have seen Smith, Johnson, Green and Jesper drain 3 pointers. So do it. Stop missing..

• Like 1

I have mentioned a different starting lineup of Kessler, Smith, Williams, Flanigan, Wendel in the past but I also said it with a caveat that Bruce and staff know more about basketball and what these players are capable then I ever will.  Bottom line is if we improve on a few things we win for sure if we don't because of our tough D we still might win but we could also lose.  In the A&M game we got down 20 then we hit a few shots the O opened up and we almost made a comeback. Hit a few of those same shots early and teams have to come out of the pack the lane D and we start scoring early and it is totally different game played in our style not other teams.  KD has been a spark plug at times and a liability at times. Flanigan defensive presence has started to be felt and he cutdown on his turnovers in A&M game as he was not pressing as hard to make things happen. If Flanigan will loosen up on O and let the offense come to him he could be a game changer. Jax State could be the game where we start to see the real Flanigan,

• Like 1