New starting lineup

NWALA Tiger

20 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

Kessler is as limited as he is currently

Yeah, Kessler needs to get well.  Early exit from the SEC tourney may have been a blessing in disguise.

I believe that Kessler’s injury surely has been downplayed. I think more for him as a draft commodity than anything. And I don’t disagree with it. Just hoping that a period of rest can revitalize his playmaking abilities and relevance. His dominance on the floor has been missed.

Hitting just a handful of catch and shoot 3s would do wonders. I wish we could do more back and forth between the low post and the wings.

32 minutes ago, slyinsocal said:

Hitting just a handful of catch and shoot 3s would do wonders. I wish we could do more back and forth between the low post and the wings.

Problem is we haven't been able to feed the post in years.  Our guards are always either too slow to recognize or too scared to make the pass.  All of our bigs have pinned players deep with absolutely no attempt to get them the ball. It's crazy to me.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, bigbird said:

Problem is we haven't been able to feed the post in years.  Our guards are always either too slow to recognize or too scared to make the pass.  All of our bigs have pinned players deep with absolutely no attempt to get them the ball. It's crazy to me.

As the old saying goes you are preaching to the choir. As good as Kessler and Smith have been their numbers would be way up. For that matter Jaylin Williams would score a lot more if guards got him the ball down low. He actually has the best post moves of any of our big men.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 8

On 3/14/2022 at 9:46 AM, bigbird said:

I've brought this up multiple years, even when we had our very good team that was cheated out of a title. 

If there was any criticism I'd have for coach Pearl it's that. If it was me I'd make sure our guys understood how vital that could be

• Like 1

Just now, cole256 said:

I've brought this up multiple years, even when we had our very good team that was cheated out of a title. 

If there was any criticism I'd have for coach Pearl it's that. If it was me I'd make sure our guys understood how vital that could be

You and I used to get blasted when we criticized those guards. 

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

You and I used to get blasted when we criticized those guards. 

Who you telling lol. I'd say 75% of the people that don't like me on the basketball forum is because of criticism to that back court and saying they needed to defer and let chuma lead us when tourney time came. 

We actually should've won even though he got hurt but if he could have stayed healthy.....it would have been one of the most boring tournaments ever because we would've steam rolled the last 3 games on the way to the title

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Who you telling lol. I'd say 75% of the people that don't like me on the basketball forum is because of criticism to that back court and saying they needed to defer and let chuma lead us when tourney time came. 

Remember when we said BB wasn't a good on-ball defender? Now compare him to Zep...

22 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Remember when we said BB wasn't a good on-ball defender? Now compare him to Zep...

I wasn't saying he was a bad defender but you know how it goes on here sometimes, some people were saying best SEC perimeter defender and even best in the country......that's when I was saying gthoh guys, like come on....imo chuma was our best overall defender as well on that team. 

I guess its nature to get caught up in the moment...what I don't understand though is as far as it goes that way, it go just as far the opposite way when the same people talk going to the NBA on here. To get to the NBA the expectations is 20 and 15 lol.

22 hours ago, cole256 said:

I can vouch for how long you have been saying this. It was years ago that you said this and after I started watching for it. The more I watched the more it validated what you had said. 

The only consistent position that’ll pass it down low to the 5 is from our 4 man - and our 3 man the last few years.

jabari has done it some this year.  I wonder if our short backcourt players just can’t see it.  We sure do miss the early looks.  Wiley would absolutely kill himself to get open low … but no pass.

15 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

The only consistent position that’ll pass it down low to the 5 is from our 4 man - and our 3 man the last few years.

jabari has done it some this year.  I wonder if our short backcourt players just can’t see it.  We sure do miss the early looks.  Wiley would absolutely kill himself to get open low … but no pass.

My guess is that our consistently smaller ball handlers has something to do with lack of post feeds. Flow of offense does as well but i've heard Pearl lament lack of passes down low so i know its something he would like to see more of.