We're not dead

cole256

100% agree with Cole's post. Seems like a lot of fans are like the sky is falling. @mcgufcmposted in the topic regarding  "Theory of Slide" the following:

"I don’t think we need anything crazy. If KD plays a bad game on Thursday, we win. If Jabari plays to his level in the second half, we win. That game was razor fine between winning and losing. Flan and Jabari missed 4 FTs at the end of the halves, and one was the front of a 1-1. Dylan missed a lob dunk. Jackson made a spectacular chase down block. Those are the game. Little stuff. 

For us to make a run, we need solid play from a majority of the support guys (Zep, Flan, Cardwell, Cambridge, and Williams) in any given game. We need at least two of our four headliners to play really well, and we need their average from the other two. Any game that happens, we win. Because defensively we’re as good or better than any team so, at worst, we’re in a close game.

This team has lost by 6 at the absolutely most, and that was in double OT. Any loss will be close based on our defense and effort level. Avoid a complete disaster from any of the big four, and we likely win "

As Pearl has repeatedly stated "Defense travels." Auburn is a very good defensive team which is why every game we've lost has been close even when the offensive result was lacking. We can expect every game going forward to be close because our guards are not consistent enough. Unless they are hot for the entire game, we are not going to blow anyone out. If they are off, we will struggle and may win - may not. Either way, Auburn basketball is relevant and fun to watch. War Eagle!

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I actually have more confidence. This is just my opinion but I think we had a little bit of flatness. The loss to A&M has lit a fire. We will be motivated. And KD can't play worse, so there's that.

13 minutes ago, thewhiz7 said:

And KD can't play worse, so there's that.

Why do Auburn fans tempt fate with stuff like this?

Ha. Totally, sort of, kidding. I hope you're right on all points.

• Haha 2

I’m not optimistic at all.  Just don’t think you can lose 5 out of the last 9 and feel good going into the tournament.  It’s not only losing, it’s the inconsistency with the guard play.  

• Like 2

I agree. And anybody that knows me would NEVER claim me to be a sunshine pumper. We definitely aren't so talented we can't be defeated. Hell we can't even say teams fear us.

But we are a very talented team still. I had said I don't think a team can beat us without us turning the ball over a bunch. I was wrong, I definitely did not foresee one of our guys being able to go 0 for 16. If it was anybody outside of Smith I would think a guy would be self aware enough to stop shooting maybe at the 0 for 10 mark......

We still are a strong defensive team. That in itself should give us a bunch of hope. But just like we went cold we have that same ability to catch fire. 

We just need our guards to have a mindset adjustment just a little. If everybody could think to themselves they want to get on extra assist we would be extremely dangerous. 

I'm just saying we didn't have somebody steal our talent while we were sleep. We can still win

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Anything can happen and I do sure hope we get our act together this coming week but what has been happening lately is the team is just not playing up to their ability. 

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

We over reacted about being ranked high, now we are over reacting because we've had struggles. 

There's no player on the bench that can save the day. There's no player to sit down that would save the day. 

Our guys have a bunch to learn and now it's our turn to throw our counter punch. We are not dead. We are still a good team.

Part of the issue with our inconsistent play down the stretch is the familiarity that the other teams on the SEC had with us.  Most the teams in the tourney won't have that luxury.  That uncertainty, even with film available, will, IMO, help get us through the first couple of weekends. 

Bruce needs to do a better job of stopping the other team's momentum.  Many time lately we've taken a TO about two to three possessions too late.

• Like 5

Still sticking with my opinion that with the way the team played down the stretch we are better off losing when we did rather than trying to scrap through another game or 2. Will be very interesting come tournament time if the refs allow teams to play physical or not. That alone could be the difference in a deep run in the tournament. 

• Like 2

The thing I keep returning to is our worst loss of the season was 6 points. As poorly as we've played at times on offense (I described the 1st half against TAMU as "hideous" last week), our worst losses of the season were 6 points. We don't need major changes. We need to hit just a few more shots. And/or we need Jabari to take more shots (my totally non-expert opinion). I also think we've shown that we can adjust. At Ark & Fla the primary offensive problem was turnovers. We've cut down on those. So if we can eliminate some of the poor shots, hit a couple more of the open shots, & get Jabari a few more shots, we can make a lot of noise in the next weeks.

• Like 2

The way our defense is, we will be in any game that we play. We just need to hit shots and play consistent defense and we can and will beat anyone. And try to limit turnovers. Bruce has to do a better job of stopping the bleed and letting us get blasted for 5 consecutive possessions without calling a TO. I'm confident this team will be fine in the tournament. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thewhiz7 said:

I actually have more confidence. This is just my opinion but I think we had a little bit of flatness. The loss to A&M has lit a fire. We will be motivated. And KD can't play worse, so there's that.

KD is the kind of guy who can use that 0-14 to come back and be the tourney MVP. Or we could flame out in the 1st round. Literally nothing will surprise me with this team in the tourney. 

3 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

Still believe we are, not just good but, the best team in college basketball.  But,,, we need to control the pace of games. 

I know it may seem implausible, but Auburn needs to play it’s game and put that on their opponents.  That is my hope. CBP needs to preach playing like you are down by 12 points from the first tip-off. There needs to be an urgency from the get-go, not waiting until 15 minutes left in the game to play as a team. Period!

2 hours ago, GTNupe11 said:

The way our defense is, we will be in any game that we play. We just need to hit shots and play consistent defense and we can and will beat anyone. And try to limit turnovers. Bruce has to do a better job of stopping the bleed and letting us get blasted for 5 consecutive possessions without calling a TO. I'm confident this team will be fine in the tournament. 

Surely am hopeful they have a fire lit under them. Time will tell.

2 hours ago, AUHAT said:

HITTING FT. Will make a big difference 

This! Let's just work to get free throws to at least 75%

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

Many time lately we've taken a TO about two to three possessions too late.

Huge impact on games.

Play defense, limit TO's, rebound competitively, and hustle all over and we're good. Everybody should shoot at least 1000 free throws each before our first game. No reason to be under 80% there.

• Like 1

Definitely have the talent to win it all but not winning any big road game and getting sent home early by TAMU don’t give me much hopes to make a run. Sure hope I’m wrong and OP is right!

Everyone sees the blueprint now.  Pack it inside and make the guards hit 3 pointers.  If they can we win.  If they can’t it looks a lot like what happened in Tampa.  

zujdk8yx88n81.webp

19 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

Still believe we are, not just good but, the best team in college basketball.  But,,, we need to control the pace of games. 

The best team in college basketball does not lose four of its last nine games. If the guards can regain the magic they had through the first 2/3 of the season we could potentially be the best team in college basketball. Unless that happens, we aren't even the best team in the SEC.

• Like 2