AU 2 Seed vs Jax State

toddc

9 hours ago, GTNupe11 said:

Well remember we almost lost to New Mexico State back in 2019. Disastrous. Lol. JABA.

True, but NMSU was quite good that season with only about 3 or 4 losses coming into the NCAAT. We had a comfy lead on them that kinda evaporated there at the end of the 2nd half. That was a great game.

25 minutes ago, gravejd said:

This should be a team we can handle. They are very small and shoot a lot of 3s for a very high percentage. We'll need our guards to over play the 3 and be ok giving up driving lanes assuming our bigs can clean up anything that gets close. Kessler, Jabari, Jaylin, and Cardwell should all be able to get whatever they want in the paint. Just hope we come out ready to take advantage of the matchup. If we get in a 3 point shooting contest with this team (and i don't doubt our guys to try this) we'll lose. 

Amen. Although, the lack of a mid range game, other than Jabari, almost lends itself to a high number of 3s. I'm not so hung up on 3s so long as they are squared up and not drifting, AND in rhythm. Call upon that memory and feeling of hitting 10 or more practice shots in a row. Can we do that please?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, aubearcat said:

From what I’ve read, it’s supposed to be the easiest path to the Elite 8. AUburn should be able to out talent JSU pretty handily. JSU backed it’s way in as a regular season champ and the aq wasn’t allowed into the tournament because of a transition year. 

Hope so. I've watched them a few times this season. They shot the 3 well unlike us. If they shot the 3 at 35% - 40% that would be a huge problem for us. They have decent size as well. Don't think we can afford to overlook them at all no matter what path they took to get there.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, aubearcat said:

From what I’ve read, it’s supposed to be the easiest path to the Elite 8. AUburn should be able to out talent JSU pretty handily. JSU backed it’s way in as a regular season champ and the aq wasn’t allowed into the tournament because of a transition year. 

They have talent. You don't go into Liberty(a very good mid major) and win without good players. They played Bama close and a couple other good basketball teams very well. I wouldn't fall into the out talent trap. Especially considering there are a lot of teams that shoot better than we do. We're going to have to come out ready from the tip. Can't mess around.

7 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

You can say that again. Some sites were saying Tennessee could maybe backdoor into a #1 seed. I figured a #2 seed at worst. So shocked they got a #3. They're going to be tough. I feel bad for Texas A&M. Went 23-12 and are really hot of late and they were left out. Sucks. Alabama getting a #6 seed shocked everyone. 19-13 record, 9-9 in SEC play. Beat Gonzaga and Baylor but had bad losses and alot of losses. I just don't get it. 

Michigan getting a seed seems crazy to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, au302 said:

Unless we lose to Jacksonville State. We shouldn't, but my Auburn fan self is already envisioning the impending heart failure as we're in a battle with them on Friday afternoon. 

I still think losing to JSU would be more personally acceptable. We looked like an actual JV team if you go back and watch that game 

58 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Got the benefit of having the toughest schedule. Tenn should've certainly been a #2 seed. Duke isn't a 2 seed. 

18 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

JSU plays a very efficient brand of offense from what I’ve seen out of stats. I can see that team just raining threes and having our guys shell shocked 

They're top 5 in 3pt shooting percentage. 38% from 3. Rebounding and running them off the 3 line will be key. 

Edited by WarEagle1983
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, slyinsocal said:

We badly need some consistent double figure scoring from people not named Jabari Smith and Walker Kessler. Our guards need to somehow find their confidence again. And fast.

KD has been easily blue-printed by everyone down the stretch. Let him shoot threes. If he drives, keep him from going right and force him to the baseline where he gets easily trapped because he will not pass it while driving. And when he manages to get off a wild shot in the paint, he relies on fouls to score, which were never called v A&M. Our spark plug has become a liability. 

In a fantasy world, sub him for Bryce Brown and this team is a near-lock Final Four team.

Green HAS to become a consistent lane driver. He is superb at finding teammates in the lane. He cannot rely on his Steph Curry-range 3’s to advance in this tournament.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Viper said:

KD has been easily blue-printed by everyone down the stretch. Let him shoot threes. If he drives, keep him from going right and force him to the baseline where he gets easily trapped because he will not pass it while driving. And when he manages to get off a wild shot in the paint, he relies on fouls to score, which were never called v A&M. Our spark plug has become a liability. 

In a fantasy world, sub him for Bryce Brown and this team is a near-lock Final Four team.

Green HAS to become a consistent lane driver. He is superb at finding teammates in the lane. He cannot rely on his Steph Curry-range 3’s to advance in this tournament.

THIS!

And him understanding what to do with ball if the defense collapses on him. We need to try to push the pace more. And when we can't, we need to make sure we're passing the ball effectively to get better shots. Open shots for us are not necessarily "good shots" because it depends on who's take the shot. We're normally are 1 - 3 passes and shoot. Crisp and quick passing in the half court could produce better shots. Seems like we give up after the 2nd and 3rd pass and say this is the best shot we're going to get. We're certainly fine with putting up 3s when we're not even close to hitting them. 

10 hours ago, gravejd said:

This should be a team we can handle. They are very small and shoot a lot of 3s for a very high percentage. We'll need our guards to over play the 3 and be ok giving up driving lanes assuming our bigs can clean up anything that gets close. Kessler, Jabari, Jaylin, and Cardwell should all be able to get whatever they want in the paint. Just hope we come out ready to take advantage of the matchup. If we get in a 3 point shooting contest with this team (and i don't doubt our guys to try this) we'll lose. 

Not even No....but Heck No! We do not need a 3-point contest with anyone! Hope CBP has the team come into the game playing like they are already down by 10 or 12 points.

For some reason we play really hard-nosed and fairly good basketball when the team "feels" an urgency. Hoping that somehow that CBP can get that into their mindset.

29 minutes ago, au701948 said:

Not even No....but Heck No! We do not need a 3-point contest with anyone! Hope CBP has the team come into the game playing like they are already down by 10 or 12 points.

For some reason we play really hard-nosed and fairly good basketball when the team "feels" an urgency. Hoping that somehow that CBP can get that into their mindset.

Shouldn’t be a problem. There’s a strong rivalry between Bruce and Ray Harper. And it’s not necessarily a friendly rivalry either. Bruce really wants this one.

1 hour ago, WarEagle1983 said:

THIS!

And him understanding what to do with ball if the defense collapses on him. We need to try to push the pace more. And when we can't, we need to make sure we're passing the ball effectively to get better shots. Open shots for us are not necessarily "good shots" because it depends on who's take the shot. We're normally are 1 - 3 passes and shoot. Crisp and quick passing in the half court could produce better shots. Seems like we give up after the 2nd and 3rd pass and say this is the best shot we're going to get. We're certainly fine with putting up 3s when we're not even close to hitting them. 

Our lack of passing in the half court is what I thought would fix itself later in the season. Back then, someone here asked me what I meant by "when this team gels." This is exactly what I meant. This team still hasn't gelled. Other than Green finding alley oops, which seems to only happen at home, too much hero ball. Combine that with their poor 3-point shooting. Sad to say this deep, ultra-talented team will not make it very far in any tournament because of this fact.

Jax State has one of the highest 3 pt usage % in the field. They are also at 38 percent. Their best 3pt shooter (46 percent) comes off the bench. The two starters are at 42% and 39%. All three guys have roughly 180 attempts a piece. Jabari is the only one on our team that can match that clip. On defense we actually are one of the highest ranked teams in giving up 2 pt shots, but one of the best in defending the 2 as well. We are also a pretty good transition defense in terms of shooting percentage. This game will be tough for us.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Committee is so bad. Big Ten always seems to get 1-2 extra teams in. 

Michigan is in Ken Pom’s top 30 if I read it correctly last night? Can’t remember exactly. 

3 hours ago, woodford said:

Committee is so bad. Big Ten always seems to get 1-2 extra teams in. 

Michigan is in Ken Pom’s top 30 if I read it correctly last night? Can’t remember exactly. 

Yeah, Notre Dame, Michigan, TCU for me aren't better than Texas A&M, Dayton. I don't see how they valued Indiana's run but not A&M. I would rather play bama right now than them. Crazy. 

6 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Yeah, Notre Dame, Michigan, TCU for me aren't better than Texas A&M, Dayton. I don't see how they valued Indiana's run but not A&M. I would rather play bama right now than them. Crazy. 

If I'm not mistaken, TCU had some quality wins against top teams.  Thought I read that somewhere. 

3 hours ago, AUBwins said:

If I'm not mistaken, TCU had some quality wins against top teams.  Thought I read that somewhere. 

Yeah I know they beat Kansas, but got smashed by them a week later. Maybe the beat Texas tech as well.

• Like 1

Duke fan with 3 Tickets together for Session 1 of Greenville SC regional. Section 210 Row L - $150 ea. Trying to avoid all of the online fees. If interested please email me @ masonmerritt@gmail.com  venmo accepted and I'll transfer tickets directly to you

55 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Bit of a scary situation. Glad it all worked out and it's only a couple hours delay.

Nothing is gonna stop this team from achieving greatness!!

• Like 1