Spring Practice Discussion Thread Week 1

Didba

Today is the day! Please post all links to stories, tweets, interviews and footage in this thread so we can have a central thread for all things Auburn spring football.

Edited by Didba
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Didba said:

I hope our season goes a billion times better than whatever this effort is. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

A few things I noticed. Marquise Gilbert looks the part. Hope he plays like it too. Council wasn't listed in the two deep for the OL groups they sent out. Pretty crazy trying to figure out who some of these guys were. Almost feels like a new team with the new faces 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, au302 said:

A few things I noticed. Marquise Gilbert looks the part. Hope he plays like it too. Council wasn't listed in the two deep for the OL groups they sent out. Pretty crazy trying to figure out who some of these guys were. Almost feels like a new team with the new faces 

Yes he does. Good looking kid. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Hoke added that he overheard Coach Ike say "it's a s*** show today, but it'll get better" in response to the receivers struggling. A depressing, funny, and realistic remark that encapsulates that room right now. Hope he can get portal help 

Is Council still on the mend from the end of season injuries? Since there is just a couple new faces (Harris, Wright) the OL battle should be interesting for a little bit.

7 hours ago, au302 said:

Hoke added that he overheard Coach Ike say "it's a s*** show today, but it'll get better" in response to the receivers struggling. A depressing, funny, and realistic remark that encapsulates that room right now. Hope he can get portal help 

The first day is always rough, so he’s right it will get better. How much better is the real question 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, au302 said:

Imagine coming from the NFL to our WR room in its current state. Deep breaths, Coach.

@W.E.D, good call these last few weeks re: Calzada. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Sizzle said:

I would love to hear more about how Jackson stood out.  It would be really nice for him to excel in his last year on the Plains.

Takeaways from Auburn's 2022 football roster

JD McCarthy
4 minutes

Spring football is underway for Auburn. The Tigers had the first of their 15 spring practices Monday as they get ready for the 2022 college football season. After a tumultuous offseason, Auburn can finally get back to playing football.

With the start of practice, Auburn released the roster for the 2022 season. The new roster includes the spring enrollees from the 2022 recruiting class and also features the updated weights of all players. The previous numbers were from last preseason and several players have undergone significant changes.

Here are some takeaways from the new roster, including the weight changes, number changes, and positional changes.

The official roster can be found here.

USATSI_15384985-e1616862162674.jpg

Reinhold Matay-USA TODAY Sports

Jeremiah Wright has been moved back to the offensive line after spending the last two seasons with the defensive line. Wright came to Auburn as an offensive lineman but was moved to the defensive side of the ball ahead of the 2020 season.

He did not play last season while rehabbing from an injury.

USATSI_16689947.jpg

John Reed-USA TODAY Sports

With the new season, players are able to change their jersey numbers if they want. The Tigers had two players switch numbers this season.

• Zion Puckett switched from No. 10 to No. 11.
  • John Samuel Shenker switched from No. 47 to No.25.

USATSI_16885462.jpg

Jerome Miron-USA TODAY Sports

In addition to those changes, the roster also includes the 16 newcomers who will be participating in spring practice.

• No. 5 WR Jay Fair

• No. 5 CB J.D. Rhym

• No. 9 LB Eugene Asante

• No. 9 QB Robby Ashford

• No. 10 QB Zach Calzada

• No. 10 CB D.J. James

• No. 12 QB Holden Geriner

• No. 21 S Caleb Wooden

• No. 27 S Marquise Gilbert

• No. 31 LB Powell Gordon

• No. 56 OL E.J. Harris

• No. 84 TE Micah Riley-Ducker

• No. 95 DL Jeffrey M’ba

• No. 99 DL Jayson Jones

USATSI_16827952.jpg

John Reed-USA TODAY Sports

Player’s weight can change drastically during the grind of a season or as coaches ask a player to change his weight to better his game. The weights from last season’s roster can quickly become out of date since they are not updated throughout the season. Here are the players with the biggest changes from last year’s roster.

• OL Garner Langlo +23 pounds (277 to 300)
  • S Cayden Bridges +21 pounds (181 to 202)
  • S Zion Puckett +18 pounds (209 to 227)
  • EDGE Eku Leota +17 pounds (240 to 257)
  • LB Joko Willis +16 pounds (196 to 212)
  • DT Zykeivous Walker +15 pounds (289 to 304)
  • DL Marcus Harris +15 pounds (279 to 294)
  • OL Killian Zierer +14 pounds (298 to 312)
  • LB Cam Riley +11 pounds (219 to 230)
  • OT Colby Smith +10 pounds (314 to 324)
  • RB Jordan Ingram +10 pounds (199 to 209)
  • DT Marquis Burks -12 pounds (314 to 302)
  • OL Tate Johnson -27 pounds (312 to 285)

d22dfda57dc64f22a827e45df3fcc518.jpg

(AP Photo/John Raoux)

There was some speculation that Auburn could try to solve the lack of depth at the edge position by moving a linebacker or one of the smaller defensive linemen to that group. That did not happen and the Tigers still have just three scholarship players (Eku Leota, Derick Hall, and Dylan Brooks) listed at that position. This will be a position to watch and see if any players not listed here get practice reps at edge.

Contact/Follow us @AuburnWire on Twitter, and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinions.

18 hours ago, Didba said:

This will not age well. 

Nose to grindstone. Just focus on getting better everyday and trying to straighten up deficiencies where you can. 

20 minutes ago, autiger88 said:

What rumors? I never heard anything about spring practice? Also this could have been done better 😂

I like the concept but I'm similarly confused by that word, and it seems like a really dumb and unnecessary way to perpetuate the unpleasantness that I thought we were all trying to move past. Might've been intended as a lighthearted joke but it didn't land.

Not that it actually matters, like, at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Auburn players with the most to lose, gain during spring football

By Nubyjas Wilborn | nwilborn@al.com

5-6 minutes

Spring is springing on the Plains. Pollen is picking up around town; the clocks moved up on Sunday, and Monday brings Auburn’s start of spring football camp.

Bryan Harsin’s first season as the Auburn football coach peaked with a top-15 ranking after beating Ole Miss. Unfortunately for Harsin and the Tigers, the team lost its five games, including giving up a 25 point lead at Jordan-Hare against Mississippi State.

Injuries and mishaps put a damper on the 2021 season. Several players have new chances to improve individually and collectively toward a better 2022 campaign. A good spring session can bring an athlete closer to a starting role. A lousy spring might have certain players considering the transfer portal if they don’t see a viable option for playing with the Tigers.

Read more Auburn football: All eyes on Auburn’s quarterbacks entering spring practice

Can Tank Bigsby and Jarquez Hunter steady the ship at running back?

Bryan Harsin laments ‘social media mob,’ lingering ‘scars’ after Auburn’s offseason drama

Questions will remain once the 15 practices conclude with the April 9 A-Day game. However, who gets reps in that scrimmage in front of fans will hint at how Auburn might look when the season starts on September 3 at home against Mercer. Let’s look at some players with the most to gain or lose.

Five players with the most to gain.

T. J. Finley, Quarterback

Finley enters the spring session as the quarterback with the most experience in an Auburn uniform. He’s a talented passer with a big arm. He also, at times, showed a lack of accuracy when he took over the starting quarterback role after Bo Nix suffered a season-ending injury. Finley has a chance to win a five-person QB battle to become the Tigers quarterback firmly.

Finley needs to inspire confidence in his receivers and the offensive line by consistently completing passes. If he can gain the trust of Harsin and new offensive-coordinator Jeff Schmedding, then the gamble of transferring from LSU will pay off. If not, Finley could struggle to see the field as a QB at Auburn.

Owen Pappoe, linebacker

Pappoe began last season with several draft sites projecting him as a first-day pick. He struggled with injuries and didn’t live up to expectations based on the previous season. Pappoe can cover tight ends on pass plays, rush the quarterback, and tackle runningbacks with intensity.

If Pappoe is healthy and plays well, it’ll be great for his endeavors in the NFL and Auburn’s quest to be a contender for a title.

Landen King, tight end

King saw live action in eight games last season as a true freshman. He scored a touchdown and had 59 yards on five catches. John Samuel Shenker has the most experience and served as a security blanket for Nix and Finley last season. However, there’s room for King to get more touches with a young wide receiver group.

Nick Brahms, center

Brahms missed the Birmingham Bowl because he needed to have surgery. He’s a three-year starter at center, bringing some much-needed consistency to the offense. Auburn might not know who will be the quarterback, but at least there is a reliable person to snap the ball to, whoever is the Tigers quarterback.

Five with the most to lose.

Tank Bigsby, running back.

Bigsby racked up 1,099 yards and 10 touchdowns on 223 rushes last season. His numbers were good, but they didn’t live up to the expectations set by his freshman year. He averaged 6.0 yards per carry as a freshman and regressed to 4.9 yards per touch last year. Which Bigsby will we see this season is a pivotal question for an offense with uncertainty at quarterback and wide receiver.

Finley, quarterback

For the same reasons why he’s got the most to gain are the reasons, he’s got the most to lose. Also, unlike several players, if Finley transfers he won’t get a free transfer since already came to Auburn from LSU. Finley has a lot of pressure on him to win the starting QB job.

Wesley Steiner, linebacker

Steiner had 21 tackles and 1.5 for loss and played in all of Auburn’s games last season. He could move up the depth chart with the departures of Chandler Wooten and Zakoby McClain. However, the linebacker room has a lot of depth with players like Desmond Tisdol and true freshman Gordon Powell nipping at Steiner’s heels for the backup inside linebacker spot behind Pappoe.

Malcolm Johnson, wide receiver

Johnson had six catches for 82 yards and a touchdown in 2021, mostly playing at Z position. He’s got the most returning experience, but if he doesn’t have a sound spring it could leave room for redshirt freshman J.J. Evans to push for more reps.

Dematrius Davis, quarterback.

Davis didn’t see any game action for Auburn last season. He signed with the Tigers shortly before Harsin took over the coaching reigns from Guz Malzhan. Davis is already likely behind Finley and Texas A&M transfer Zach Calzada on the depth chart. Getting passed by Oregon transfer Robby Ashford or freshman Holden Geriner could mean Davis might have him considering his options in the portal.

Nubyjas Wilborn covers Auburn for Alabama Media Group.

9 hours ago, au302 said:

Time to fire Ike.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

@W.E.D, good call these last few weeks re: Calzada. 

What call was that?  That he's participating?

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

What call was that?  That he's participating?

Yup. You've pointed out a few times that he likely wasn't completely out as some have speculated. I myself was under that impression until you reminded us that it's his non-throwing shoulder and that he'd likely be participating in some fashion. 

Could have a big effect on the competition, which I'm sure will still be going full steam in August. 

• Like 1

Looking at the player weight changes some make me feel pretty good. 

• OL Garner Langlo +23 pounds (277 to 300)
  • EDGE Eku Leota +17 pounds (240 to 257)
  • LB Joko Willis +16 pounds (196 to 212)
  • DT Zykeivous Walker +15 pounds (289 to 304)
  • DL Marcus Harris +15 pounds (279 to 294)
  • OL Killian Zierer +14 pounds (298 to 312)
  • LB Cam Riley +11 pounds (219 to 230)
  • OT Colby Smith +10 pounds (314 to 324)
  • DT Marquis Burks -12 pounds (314 to 30)

Assuming the weight gains is good muscle weight we have a couple of young guys on O-Line Langlo and Smith that might be able to compete as at least backups and maybe as starters both Red Shirt Freshmen. Zierer was getting better every game so the extra weight should really help.  The two LB's Willis was undersized and Riley might be the stud we have been Hoping for. I like the weight gain on D-Line as at times last year even though they played well they looked a little undersized.

I have to admit I was surprised by weight loss of Tate Johnson. I have to assume he was either fat and they re-sculpted his body or he is sick as 285 is probably to light. I am hoping it was re-sculpting and will now put on muscle mass.

• OL Tate Johnson -27 pounds (312 to 285)

I didn't show the weight gain of the DB's as until I see them move I am not sure if a positive or a negative.

26 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I like the concept but I'm similarly confused by that word, and it seems like a really dumb and unnecessary way to perpetuate the unpleasantness that I thought we were all trying to move past. Might've been intended as a lighthearted joke but it didn't land.

Not that it actually matters, like, at all.

Spring.  We're officially in the Rocky 3 training montage, clawing back from rock bottom, to out-blue-collar Clubber, culminating in a sweaty hug with the the Creed?  And poke somebody(ies) in the eye with a tweet. Ugh.

Rocky_2.gif

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Time to fire Ike.

Lol, honestly I was worried that he'd walk in on day one and tell Harsin that he didn't realize what he was getting himself into. At least he seems to understand the task at hand