Spring Practice Discussion Thread Week 1

Didba

Coach looked should I dare say...happy at the press conference. Excited to see spring ball

Edited by Randman5000
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Randman5000 said:

Coach looked should I dare say...happy at the press conference. Excited to see spring ball

That may be a change in his methodology.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I loved seeing D. Hall coach up Dylan Brooks in that video. Good player leadership. D. Hall is also a grown ass man.

He reminds me of one of those Tuberville era nasty pass rushers. Looking like a player you’d create on NCAA Football 2014.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

He reminds me of one of those Tuberville era nasty pass rushers. Looking like a player you’d create on NCAA Football 2014.

For sure. He's the type of guy that if I caught him breaking in to my house I would offer him some left over chicken or meatloaf or something. (Eku Leota looks like a legit SEC DL as well. He is a unit. I like our starters...I worry about depth.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

What's everybody's thoughts on the QB'S going live during the spring scrimmages.  I think it would be helpful to determine who performs best under real game type pressure? I realize it's a no for Calzada.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

What the hell happened to Owen? 

He had stated in the winter he would be sitting out spring practice.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Can’t stay healthy.

I thought they said he had surgery to repair the injury he had most of last season. I don’t see that as “can’t stay healthy “, but maybe you were being facetious. Hope so. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I thought they said he had surgery to repair the injury he had most of last season. I don’t see that as “can’t stay healthy “, but maybe you were being facetious. Hope so. 

I wasn’t being facetious. He’s hurt a lot. It sucks but not much he can do. 

Glad he is making sure he gets it fixed  now, much rather have him ready in the fall than practice in the spring.   Also gives some others a chance to get experience and build depth.  

• Like 1

Waaaay to early prediction based off nothing but feelings but I think this team is going to surprise in a good way next year.  My 40 year old Auburn intuition tells me 2022 will be a good season with a good recruiting class that will settle some folks down.  2023 will be an ok season 7-8 wins but another good recruiting class,  2024 will fall below expectations with another good recruiting class but the hot seat will kick back up and 2025 will be a NY6/playoff team that will save Harsin and get him an extension.  Hopefully his trajectory at that point will be Daboish and not Tubbish.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Waaaay to early prediction based off nothing but feelings but I think this team is going to surprise in a good way next year.  My 40 year old Auburn intuition tells me 2022 will be a good season with a good recruiting class that will settle some folks down.  2023 will be an ok season 7-8 wins but another good recruiting class,  2024 will fall below expectations with another good recruiting class but the hot seat will kick back up and 2025 will be a NY6/playoff team that will save Harsin and get him an extension.  Hopefully his trajectory at that point will be Daboish and not Tubbish.

What's the winning lottery ticket next month? 

• Like 1

Pappoe tried to play through an injury last year. Remember he came back and wasn't the same so I'm glad they are able to get it completely fixed now.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I wasn’t being facetious. He’s hurt a lot. It sucks but not much he can do. 

Gotcha. Not sure about before last year but I understood his injury last year was same injury and he just tried unsuccessfully to play through it but may be mistaken.

1 hour ago, Randman5000 said:

Dylan sure is going to get a chance to shine.

All of them will, they don’t have a choice but to play unless we find more depth in the summer

Observations from Auburn’s 2nd 2022 spring practice

By Nubyjas Wilborn | nwilborn@al.com
5-6 minutes

Auburn wrapped up the second day of 15 spring practices on Wednesday with an indoor practice because of rainy conditions earlier in the day. The Tigers will continue until April 9th, when the group will have a traditional A-Day game at Jordan-Hare.

Tiger head football coach Bryan Harsin and the rest of the coaching staff put players through a practice that had 20 periods of different drills to reinforce elements of football. Athletes ran swiftly around cones, hit blocking sleds, and sometimes defensive players dressed in blue jerseys and the offensive players donning white jerseys with blue numerals blocked and tackled each other.

Harsin and the university allowed local reporters to view 6-10 out of 20 Wednesday’s planned practice. Part of the pact between Auburn and the select media members allowed to view training is there won’t be any reporting on players who may or may not have been absent.

Read more Auburn football: Observations from Auburn’s 1st spring practice of 2022

Five questions for Auburn this spring

Five Auburn players with the most to gain, lose this spring

Here’s some of what AL.Com gleaned from Day 2 of Auburn’s spring football practice.

-- Tank Bigsby is still fast and elusive. He rushed for 1,099 yards and 10 touchdowns on 223 carries last season. Bigsby is so talented was fair to say his numbers were disappointing compared to his previous year since his yards per carry average dropped from 6.0 in 2020 to 4.9 last season. He appeared ready to get back to form during a ball-carrying drill led by running back coach Carnell Williams.

Before practice, offensive coordinator Eric Kiesau told reporters more about Bigsby’s role.

“We’re going to start this thing with a downhill, physical run game. We’ll come after you,” Kiesau said to reporters at Auburn’s practice facility during Wednesday’s press conference. “That starts with those guys in the backfield, and obviously Tank being the forefront of that. I’m excited about it. You need to have a foundation; you need to put your feet on something, and Tank is a big part of that. I’m excited about it.”

Bigsby deftly moved through a set of cones while toting a pigskin under each arm. He was followed by Jarquez Hunter and the rest of the running back room. Auburn is deep at running back while being a bit thin at wide receiver and uncertain about who will start at quarterback. Going to two-back sets and pounding opposing defensive lines could work out well for the Tigers.

We’re going to start this thing with a downhill, physical run game. We’re going to come after you. That starts with those guys in the backfield, and obviously Tank being the forefront of that,” Kiesau said. “I’m excited about it. You need to have a foundation; you need to put your feet on something, and Tank is a big part of that. I’m excited about it.”

--Tight end is another position of depth for Auburn. John Samuel Shenker returns with the most experience of the group. Sophomore Landen King is looking to build on his success as a freshman. King and Shenker both made nice catches during session seven. King might help out at tight end and receiver.

“We still want to develop him as a tight end, but his strength for us moving forward will be maybe as an extended receiver or a bigger body inside where he could get linebacker or even a nickel who’s going to try to play a bigger body like that,” Kiesau said. “We can create that advantage.”

-- Other than quarterback, there’s probably not a more challenging place to get playing time than being on the offensive line in the Southeastern Conference. Auburn High alum and early enrollee Easton Harris Jr might be a rare exception. Harris took some reps with the Jailil Irvin at center and Alec Jackson, Kilian Zierer, and Austin Troxell when the Tigers OL and DL went against each other during the 10th session. Irvin, Jackson, Zierer, and Troxell all saw regular playing time last season and expect to progress this year.

Harris is 6′5 312 pounds, according to the roster Auburn provided. We didn’t measure Harris or other players to confirm; however, Harris appeared to fit in with several players who’ve seen SEC action.

-- TJ Finley, Robby Ashford, Zach Calzada, Holden Geriner, and Dematrius Davis took reps under center during non-contact drills. The quarterback competition will continue throughout spring and possibly fall, depending on how it shakes out.

“All these quarterbacks are getting evaluated on everything they’re doing,” Kiesau told reporters. “It’s not just what you see in a team session; it’s going to be team session, it’s going to be in 7-on-7 sessions, it’s in one-on-ones. It’s in everything they’re doing because we need the maximum amount of information to make a great decision when it comes time to pick the starters.”

Nubyjas Wilborn covers Auburn for Alabama Media Group.