Coach Harsin Quotes on First Practice

toddc

17 hours ago, ellitor said:

@WarDamnEagleWDESo Harsin didn't try to keep Bo from leaving?

Nope. I'm told that Bo wanted a guarantee to be the #1 QB to start the fall and the staff told him no. Which is fine if you have a replacement. So far, AU doesn't have a replacement. Winning has to become a priority at some point and some concessions have to be made at times. Saban bent when he had too building his program. Same with Kirby. This staff is like a stone wall that won't budge. Guess we shall see how this works. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, bigbird said:

Imagine what this season ('22) would be like without the additional Covid year and the super seniors that returned. Without day 1 starters in this class or portal, that's what '23 is gonna be like.

CBH had some ownership, but the majority of the hole were in had been previously dug

Harsin has had 1&1/2 regular recruiting cycles and the better part of two portal cycles. There have been zero notable O-line additions over that time. If he was indeed left with a mess, he's either incapable of recognizing it or does recognize the mess and is incapable of correcting it.

Fans could understand being left with an alleged mess. However, failing to take corrective action leaves serious doubts about the leadership.

• Love 1

16 minutes ago, Mikey said:

If he was indeed left with a mess,

lol.  Yeah, IF

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, cole256 said:

If everybody sucks why would a qb with 3 years starting experience be looking over his shoulder unless he sucks too? 

The fact that he was worried about not being the starter after starting for 3 years is pretty telling.

He shouldn't have been worried in the slightest 

Hilarious . Why would we bend for a QB who showed growth last year but still has a long way to go in terms of “being the man?” That’s just silly. Good for CBH if true (BIG IF). There are only a handful of QBs in the NCAA who can command and demand a starting position like that. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

He shouldn't have been worried in the slightest 

I don't think he was worried about being the starter. There is no verification of that, but it does make a good excuse for the all-time offense leader bailing out. Otherwise, people would have to look for a legitimate reason elsewhere.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Eh. Bo wasn't the guy to bend for. We weren't going to get better this season with him at QB. 

But the question is, are we going to be worse?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

But the question is, are we going to be worse?

That's not the question to me, to be honest. I had 2022 written off before 2021 had started. 

• Like 1

Others alluded to this but were written off as crazy. People thought no way Bo and possibly Pat would have the audacity to demand such a thing. Solid player, but when a team goes 6-7 every job should be up for grabs. I hope it's not true because that's absolutely crazy

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

I don't think he was worried about being the starter. There is no verification of that, but it does make a good excuse for the all-time offense leader bailing out. Otherwise, people would have to look for a legitimate reason elsewhere.

Facts:  that all-time offensive leader who "loves AU" lost his starting job -- admittedly, to injury -- but bailed & left for Oregon before getting a chance to compete & earn back the starting job.  Operative word here:  earn.  

Speculation:  don't know for sure, but it sure appears like he shied from the assembled competition.   

• Facepalm 1

The all-time offensive leader...way to dive deep and use that nuance on those stats.  I mean it doesn't mean anything that his % was atrocious, his YPA was tiny, or his attempts were far more others...all-time offensive leader!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, bigbird said:

The all-time offensive leader...way to dive deep and use that nuance to the stats.  I mean it doesn't mean anything that his % was atrocious, his YPA was tiny, or his attempts were far more others...all-time offensive leader!!!

Just imagine the stats he could have put up playing for Tommy Tuberville against mid-Aughts SEC defenses like the last guys to start as many games as he did...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Nope. I'm told that Bo wanted a guarantee to be the #1 QB to start the fall and the staff told him no. Which is fine if you have a replacement. So far, AU doesn't have a replacement. Winning has to become a priority at some point and some concessions have to be made at times. Saban bent when he had too building his program. Same with Kirby. This staff is like a stone wall that won't budge. Guess we shall see how this works. 

Why would Bo need a guarantee to be starter?All he had to do was look at the QB play after he got hurt. He would have started 

Just now, McLoofus said:

Just imagine the stats he could have put up playing for Tommy Tuberville against mid-Aughts SEC defenses like the last guys to start as many games as he did...

The only problem in doing that is we'd have to reduce his attempts by half 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Why would Bo need a guarantee to be starter?All he had to do was look at the QB play after he got hurt. He would have started 

Insecurity?

• Like 1

Just now, bigbird said:

The only problem in doing that is we'd have to reduce his attempts by half 

And defenders would be able to make contact with him in any number of ways that are no longer legal. 

Oh no. Now I'm starting to think about what Jason Campbell could have done in Harsin's offense. Hopefully Geriner will get to show us. 

• Like 1

Just now, NWALA Tiger said:

Hard to believe anybody is that insecure

Say something true yet negative about our previous HC and you'll see plenty of examples

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I've read posts elsewhere that one of their concerns was if Harsin would bring in a portal QB. Seems like Harsin was planning on it no matter what. Remember, this was all back in December and at the time there were high hopes for portal QB's (Slovis, Williams) that could easily beat him out. Heck, even Calzada is not a Grant Loy/Cord Sandberg competition

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, au302 said:

I've read posts elsewhere that one of their concerns was if Harsin would bring in a portal QB. Seems like Harsin was planning on it no matter what. Remember, this was all back in December and at the time there were high hopes for portal QB's (Slovis, Williams) that could easily beat him out. Heck, even Calzada is not a Grant Loy/Cord Sandberg competition

Yep. I mean, Harsin brought in Finley last year very much hoping he could take Bo's job. Because, highlight plays and big stats accumulated over 3 seasons starting aside, Bo's not a particularly good QB. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Think it as more of a commitment from Harsin to Bo. When Bo didn’t get that, he left. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Yep. I mean, Harsin brought in Finley last year very much hoping he could take Bo's job. Because, highlight plays and big stats accumulated over 3 seasons starting aside, Bo's not a particularly good QB. 

Not sure Harsin though Finley would beat Bo out. More of, behind Bo was as bad as bad can get. Harsin tried to bring Bo around but when the season started, it all went south and Bo went back being Bo. A ****head. 

• Like 2

If you read what some of Bo's family members said it was because the fanbase was not nice enough to him.  The reality is when Bo arrived there were unrealistic expectations for him with some people talking about him winning the Heisman and leading us to National Title before he had even played a down. Those expectations are hard to live up to. Then starting as a freshman and pulling out his 1st game as  a starter against a national power even though he did not have a great game fueled the fire. As the the season passed and we realized we did not have a stellar O-Line he started to have happy feet. 

Sometimes he bailed and made great plays other times he bailed to soon and the play failed. A freshman where fans have unrealistic expectations and a weak O-Line causes issues. Over time the fans became inpatient.  He developed bad habits because of the O-Line. Last year he looked better but anemic O-line meant we didn't have a great run game and he got a little better at staying in pocket but you could still see him bailing at times he didn't need to. 

We will never know if Bo could have been a really good QB. If he had come in with a really solid O-Line that he trusted he might not have developed happy feet, he might have stayed in pocket and made better throws.  There were games where BO played well hit is receivers in stride and looked like he was getting it then there were the other games.

By the end some fans were to harsh because he had not met their unrealistic expectations and he knew if he came back he would have the same O-line so like so many he assumed the grass would be greener on the other side.  I think BO with a better O-line from day one would have been a good QB with a higher completion percentage but I watched him enough to know that he would never be elite.  He has a good arm but not an elite arm and he has had an issue of not setting his feet when he is on the move which with his arm he would have to be able to do.

There are not many Patrick Mahomes' out there who can throw across their body while going the other way and throw a bullet on the money.