Coach Harsin Quotes on First Practice

toddc

6 hours ago, DAG said:

Hilarious . Why would we bend for a QB who showed growth last year but still has a long way to go in terms of “being the man?” That’s just silly. Good for CBH if true (BIG IF). There are only a handful of QBs in the NCAA who can command and demand a starting position like that. 

Straight facts.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

If you read what some of Bo's family members said it was because the fanbase was not nice enough to him.  The reality is when Bo arrived there were unrealistic expectations for him with some people talking about him winning the Heisman and leading us to National Title before he had even played a down. Those expectations are hard to live up to. Then starting as a freshman and pulling out his 1st game as  a starter against a national power even though he did not have a great game fueled the fire. As the the season passed and we realized we did not have a stellar O-Line he started to have happy feet. 

Sometimes he bailed and made great plays other times he bailed to soon and the play failed. A freshman where fans have unrealistic expectations and a weak O-Line causes issues. Over time the fans became inpatient.  He developed bad habits because of the O-Line. Last year he looked better but anemic O-line meant we didn't have a great run game and he got a little better at staying in pocket but you could still see him bailing at times he didn't need to. 

We will never know if Bo could have been a really good QB. If he had come in with a really solid O-Line that he trusted he might not have developed happy feet, he might have stayed in pocket and made better throws.  There were games where BO played well hit is receivers in stride and looked like he was getting it then there were the other games.

By the end some fans were to harsh because he had not met their unrealistic expectations and he knew if he came back he would have the same O-line so like so many he assumed the grass would be greener on the other side.  I think BO with a better O-line from day one would have been a good QB with a higher completion percentage but I watched him enough to know that he would never be elite.  He has a good arm but not an elite arm and he has had an issue of not setting his feet when he is on the move which with his arm he would have to be able to do.

There are not many Patrick Mahomes' out there who can throw across their body while going the other way and throw a bullet on the money. 

To be fair here, Bo got to AU with an entitled attitude / ego. Was a awful teammate who wasn’t liked very much in the locker room. Gus did nothing but stroke that ego with the title talk. Then Bo’s QB coach pumping him up to win hiesmans in Jordan Rogers. Perfect storm for failure. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

Harsin has had 1&1/2 regular recruiting cycles and the better part of two portal cycles. There have been zero notable O-line additions over that time. If he was indeed left with a mess, he's either incapable of recognizing it or does recognize the mess and is incapable of correcting it.

Fans could understand being left with an alleged mess. However, failing to take corrective action leaves serious doubts about the leadership.

Yep. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DAG said:

Hilarious . Why would we bend for a QB who showed growth last year but still has a long way to go in terms of “being the man?” That’s just silly. Good for CBH if true (BIG IF). There are only a handful of QBs in the NCAA who can command and demand a starting position like that. 

Just Ed wanted the reassurance that he would be #1 going into fall. Not sure that is bending over. Starter before his injury. It was just two sides positioning for whatever. 

Bo was awful for the most part. Not going to miss him at all. Well maybe we will if the QB’s here now are as bad. Which so far they are. Just mind numbing issuers that shouldn’t be. Bunch of rookies all the way around. 

3 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

To be fair here, Bo got to AU with an entitled attitude / ego. Was a awful teammate who wasn’t liked very much in the locker room. Gus did nothing but stroke that ego with the title talk. Then Bo’s QB coach pumping him up to win hiesmans in Jordan Rogers. Perfect storm for failure. 

It's def better for each party to go their separate ways. But, last yr Bo was the best QB on the roster. Maybe Finley has improved from last yr or Robby can be the man this yr. Time will tell

3 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Just Ed wanted the reassurance that he would be #1 going into fall. Not sure that is bending over. Starter before his injury. It was just two sides positioning for whatever. 

Bo was awful for the most part. Not going to miss him at all. Well maybe we will if the QB’s here now are as bad. Which so far they are. Just mind numbing issuers that shouldn’t be. Bunch of rookies all the way around. 

Being guaranteed the #1 qb spot at fall camp?

How is that not bending over for someone ? 

reassurance is saying you have as good of a chance as anyone to start which he did with his experience and already being a starter. 

Edited by DAG

5 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Not sure Harsin though Finley would beat Bo out. More of, behind Bo was as bad as bad can get. Harsin tried to bring Bo around but when the season started, it all went south and Bo went back being Bo. A ****head. 

Have you ever heard that the Nix's influenced QB recruiting under Gus? I read on another site a few months back that Gus wanted to bring in John Rhys Plumlee along with Bo, and the Nix's got upset and Gus backed off. Hence why we had dudes behind him who would never contend for an SEC, or any P5, job

2 hours ago, au302 said:

Have you ever heard that the Nix's influenced QB recruiting under Gus? I read on another site a few months back that Gus wanted to bring in John Rhys Plumlee along with Bo, and the Nix's got upset and Gus backed off. Hence why we had dudes behind him who would never contend for an SEC, or any P5, job

As the dead horse above....can we please let this go??? 

New team, new upcoming season. 

WDE

• Like 2

23 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Nope. I'm told that Bo wanted a guarantee to be the #1 QB to start the fall and the staff told him no. Which is fine if you have a replacement. So far, AU doesn't have a replacement. Winning has to become a priority at some point and some concessions have to be made at times. Saban bent when he had too building his program. Same with Kirby. This staff is like a stone wall that won't budge. Guess we shall see how this works. 

So, we are probably looking at another Mexico-gate this next off season?  Will the fan base and the BOT endure a second losing campaign?

8 hours ago, TigerPAC said:

WDE

I could see relocating it but I don't understand why anyone would want us to not talk about the program's recent past. The kid was on our team *last year*. Everything that happened with this program the last 4-5 years is still informing what the program is right now. 

I get that people have certain allegiances but I don't agree with trying to mute topics just because they're unpleasant. The reality is that this is just an unpleasant football program to follow, right now and for most of the last 8 years. 

• Thanks 2

If people would stop and think for just 30 seconds, they'd realize how unlikely the "guarantee me a starting job" talk is. Had Nix wanted to play in Harsin's system he wouldn't have had any trouble being QB #1. He's been around athletics long enough to know that players are promised an opportunity, nothing more. He wouldn't be silly enough to make such a request.

As far as insecurity, that's ridiculous. Look where he went. If he was scared of competition he'd have chosen almost any school besides Oregon, where there are multiple former 4* QB prospects on the team. Robbie Ashford left Oregon and came to Auburn because he couldn't see the field there. No QB who was insecure about playing time would go to Oregon.

This and similar stories are only tossed around to distract from the dismal player retention situation that Auburn is currently experiencing.

As bad as it stings some of you, Bo Nix is AU's all-time offensive leader. In three years he surpassed what Stan White accomplished in four. The only thing the haters can do about that is help recruit some guy who will exceed Nix's accomplishments and remove him from the top of the record books. Get ready to front some NIL money.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

24 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Everything that happened with this program the last 4-5 years is still informing what the program is right now

I don't know why that so hard for people to grasp.  So many are desperate to throw shade on CBH and his situation without talking about why we are where we are. 

Yes, CBH is our now HC. 

Yes, CBH has total control

Yes, for the first time since he's gotten here he has "his" staff 

Yes, we have missed on some players we've needed 

Yes our depth is atrocious (I'm really surprised people are shocked by that after my last 5+ years of post) 

However, we are thin, underdeveloped, and have a low football IQ because of another.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I don't know why that so hard for people to grasp.  So many are desperate to throw shade on CBH and his situation without talking about why we are where we are.  Yes, CBH is our now HC. 

Yes, CBH has total control

Yes, we have miss d on some players we've needed 

Yes our depth is atrocious (I'm really surprised people are shocked by that after my last 5+ years of post) 

However, we are thin, underdeveloped, and have a low football IQ because of another.

Nuance! Both things can be true! I'm going to slowly sip this like a hundred dollar glass of scotch. Don't know when I'll see it again. 

Btw, @TigerPAC, these aren't shots at you. I bounced off your post to address a broader topic and Bird is obviously addressing just that part of my post. 

Very easy to draw a through line from discussions we've had going as far back as 2015 to the current condition of our roster. Most of it is opinion and conjecture, but it is absolutely informed opinion and conjecture, and it is the most sensible explanation for why *certain things are what they are. 

*Certain, because even as Harsin's most ardent supporters have acknowledged, he owns some of it. As I say in every preseason Ws-Ls thread, it's not about where we are. It's about where we think we're headed. No matter how good or bad things seem right now, it's too early to tell. Just like the 2013-14 offseason was too early to tell where Gus's program was headed. It occasionally makes for great conversation. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Someone dictated to Harsin who he would hire as assistants? Knowing his personality, I find it doubtful that he'd have accepted the AU job if he wasn't going to be allowed to hire his own assistants. He wasn't in desperate need of work.

32 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Atrocious depth, thin, and undeveloped....... That should be expected on a team that has lost 20 players to the portal and only been able to replace five. That 20-5 disparity has nothing to do with anybody except the current staff. Most outfits that lose 20 would try to bring in enough numbers to at least come close to a balance. If AU has tried, the results have been dismal.

AU signed 17 high school and JUCO players, meaning that 6 such slots are going begging. We also have two extra "transfer only" slots that are yet to be filled. So, this dangerously thin team is sitting on a total of eight vacant scholarship slots while having barely enough on campus to conduct a scrimmage. In La-La Land, that's Gus's fault but most rational people would think that failure to fill available slots just might, somehow, be the responsibility of a current coaching staff.

But cheer up! We have 32 days remaining before the transfer portal deadline of May 1st. Surely, we'll do what we haven't accomplished over the previous five months and fill the available vacancies!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TigerPAC said:

WDE

I agree debating if he sucks or not and comparing him to other QB's has been hashed out enough, but this is a broader topic about behind the scenes that has very much affected the program. It's a long offseason and we got a lot of time to talk about this stuff. The spring ball thread has been fun for practice updates 

• Like 1

On another note: Joey Gatewood has transferred to the receivers position for CGM’s team. Should have been a tight end/receiver after year one. A lot of us got ridiculed because we called it back then.

20 minutes ago, toddc said:

On another note: Joey Gatewood has transferred to the receivers position for CGM’s team. Should have been a tight end/receiver after year one. A lot of us got ridiculed because we called it back then.

Right?!?!

Gus basically made him Canella...a TE in Gus' O

• Like 1

I truly cannot begin to understand how some on here can wake up day in and day out and spew the most pessimistic takes, never a positive.

• Like 2

On 3/28/2022 at 9:34 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

All I'm going to say is hold on.  Be interesting to see what people are saying at the end of October. 

If we do as bad as we’re expected by the prognosticators, should we give him another year regardless? Need to build up as much good will as we can with coaching candidates when/if we decide to move on. We have no reason to not be in the top half of jobs in this conference even when the league expands. We should not be unable to get people on the level of what the 11-12th best programs in the league can. Seriously, this the least I’ve cared about a (normal) season ever.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Does anyone on the board agree with an Mikey's take on the situation? Serious question

Tigerbelle always does. Viper too.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Didba said:

I truly cannot begin to understand how some on here can wake up day in and day out and spew the most pessimistic takes, never a positive.

Their lives are miserable for whatever reason(s). They might as well be bammers. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1