Coach Harsin Quotes on First Practice

toddc

2 hours ago, AUwent said:

If we do as bad as we’re expected by the prognosticators, should we give him another year regardless? Need to build up as much good will as we can with coaching candidates when/if we decide to move on. We have no reason to not be in the top half of jobs in this conference even when the league expands. We should not be unable to get people on the level of what the 11-12th best programs in the league can. Seriously, this the least I’ve cared about a (normal) season ever.

We haven't even had A day game yet. Step away from the ledge

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AUwent said:

If we do as bad as we’re expected by the prognosticators, should we give him another year regardless?

That depends on some other factors. Has the recruiting improved from 9th in the SEC to somewhere in, at least, the top half? Has the lose 20 & add five mis management of the portal been corrected? Has the fruit basket turnover of coaches been stopped?

Get solid improvements in those areas and he may deserve another year even if he has the expected 4-8 or 5-7 season. No improvement in those areas and another losing season and Harsin and Auburn will need to part ways and the sooner the better.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2022 at 10:57 AM, bigbird said:

The all-time offensive leader...way to dive deep and use that nuance on those stats.  I mean it doesn't mean anything that his % was atrocious, his YPA was tiny, or his attempts were far more others...all-time offensive leader!!!

So, if 59.4 percent completions by Bo Nix is atrocious, why did Harsin go get one QB, Calzada, whose completion percentage is, by your account, worse than atrocious at 56.3? Another less than impressive addition hoping to win the job at AU is Ashford, who couldn't even appear in a game at Oregon in two seasons. Ashford ran away from competition that Nix signed up for and welcomed. Some people need to think about that before they try to claim that Nix didn't want competition..

or his attempts were far more others.

On what planet? Stan White career attempts, 1,231. Bo Nix career attempts, 1,057.

There's the undeniable fact that, like it or not, Bo Nix is AU's all time offense leader.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Ashford ran away from competition that Nix signed up for and welcomed.

I encourage you to go check Oregon’s roster. Ashford was one of 3 freshman QBs. One was the nations 40th ranked recruit, one was 147th, and Ashford was the 290th. Plus a proven grad transfer. Hard for me to understand how that is running away from competition. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I encourage you to go check Oregon’s roster. Ashford was one of 3 freshman QBs. One was the nations 40th ranked recruit, one was 147th, and Ashford was the 290th. Plus a proven grad transfer. Hard for me to understand how that is running away from competition. 

Why is that hard to understand? Ashford couldn't even get into a mop-up game so he went to a place where he thinks there will be less competition. He's right in that analysis, at Auburn he won't be faced with the level of competition that he faced at Oregon. What started the subject was people repeating what they heard about Bo Nix not wanting competition. There's a lot more of that at Oregon, just ask Ashford. If Nix didn't welcome competition, Oregon is one of the last places he'd head to.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Why is that hard to understand? Ashford couldn't even get into a mop-up game so he went to a place where he thinks there will be less competition. He's right in that analysis, at Auburn he won't be faced with the level of competition that he faced at Oregon. What started the subject was people repeating what they heard about Bo Nix not wanting competition. There's a lot more of that at Oregon, just ask Ashford. If Nix didn't welcome competition, Oregon is one of the last places he'd head to.

I don't get why you want to squat on guys that are on our team in the defense of a guy that's not here. You can't say that Ashford ran away from competition and Bo went there to embrace it. Can't have it both ways.

But for the hell of it. Option 1. Battle Harsin's hand-picked transfer (were after Slovis and Williams at the time) and HS QB (Geriner) or Option 2. Follow your old OC and battle redshirt freshmen that have never taken a snap, and who said OC has zero ties to whatsoever... 

Edited by au302
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

On what planet? Stan White career attempts, 1,231. Bo Nix career attempts, 1,057.

There's the undeniable fact that, like it or not, Bo Nix is AU's all time offense leader.

4 years 1231 =~308 att/yr

3 years 1057 =~352 att/yr

White 

'90 338/12 = 28.2 att/gm  6.6 Y/A

'91 327/11 = 29.7 att/gm  6.1 Y/A

'92 305/11 = 27.7 att/gm. 5.9 Y/A

'93 271/11 = 24.6 att/gm 7.6 Y/A

~ 27.7 att/gm  6.55 Y/A  for White's career

Nix 

'19  373/13 = 28.7 att/gm  6.7 Y/A

'20  357/11 = 32.5 att/gm 6.8 Y/A

'21 323/10 = 32.3 att/gm 7.1 Y/A

~ 31.2 att/gm  6.67 Y/A for Nix's career

With more attempts per game and a higher yard/attempt, Nix should have passed White. There are multiple reasons for that beyond Nix was better than White or any other QB he surpassed.  

Who was the better back?

Rudi Johnson or Phil Gargis?

Here is their career yardage...

RJ: 1567 yds

PG: 1879 yds

Era matters, attempts matter, offensive style matters, rule changes matter. Only the disingenuous would try to prop up such a weak stat. All time passing leader at Auburn is like the all-time rusher under Mike leach. Not a big deal.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

9 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I am not sure it that makes me feel better or worse in Auburn's case.  :(

20 minutes ago, bigbird said:

White 

'90 338/12 = 28.2 att/gm  6.6 Y/A

'91 327/11 = 29.7 att/gm  6.1 Y/A

'92 305/11 = 27.7 att/gm. 5.9 Y/A

'93 271/11 = 24.6 att/gm 7.6 Y/A

~ 27.7 att/gm  6.55 Y/A  for White's career

Nix 

'19  373/13 = 28.7 att/gm  6.7 Y/A

'20  357/11 = 32.5 att/gm 6.8 Y/A

'21 323/10 = 32.3 att/gm 7.1 Y/A

~ 31.2 att/gm  6.67 Y/A for Nix's career

With more attempts per game and a higher yard/attempt, Nix should have passed White. There are multiple reasons for that beyond Nix was better than White or any other QB he surpassed.  

Who was the better back?

Rudi Johnson or Phil Gargis?

Here is their career yardage...

RJ: 1567 yds

PG: 1879 yds

Era matters, attempts matter, offensive style matters, rule changes matter. Only the disingenuous would try to prop up such a weak stat. All time passing leader at Auburn is like the all-time rusher under Mike leach. Not a big deal.

U wasting your time.  Mikey don't deal in facts, only his emotional ties to Gustav and anything negative that he can haphazardly tie to Harsin. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

U wasting your time.  Mikey don't deal in facts, only his emotional ties to Gustav and anything negative that he can haphazardly tie to Harsin. 

He is right that Nix is an all-time leader in some offensive category. He just doesn't want to admit to why.

Go ahead and ask him why the OL depth is non-existent.

6 hours ago, au302 said:

I don't get why you want to squat on guys that are on our team in the defense of a guy that's not here. You can't say that Ashford ran away from competition and Bo went there to embrace it. Can't have it both ways.

But for the hell of it. Option 1. Battle Harsin's hand-picked transfer (were after Slovis and Williams at the time) and HS QB (Geriner) or Option 2. Follow your old OC and battle redshirt freshmen that have never taken a snap, and who said OC has zero ties to whatsoever... 

I've never seen someone who hates Auburn football players as much as that clown does. He never misses an opportunity to offer unnecessarily harsh- and often personal- criticism of our players. It can't be that Ashford made a smart decision that gave him the best chance for a future in the sport. It has to be that he "ran away from competition". 

If he says something positive about a player, past or present, then it is in service of some other agenda. In this case, Nix is an extension of Gus and therefore praising Nix is in actuality praising Gus. 

It's pathetic and exhausting. I have no clue what he's like in real life, but the Mikey persona on AUF just really, truly sucks. Nothing but a negative time and energy suck. 

• Like 1

Counting stats are really really really stupid when trying to judge the overall greatness of a player.

Cam Newton isn't high on any "all-time" lists, so I guess he wasn't ever very good.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Attempts per year have zero to do with career accomplishments. You said Nix had more attempts. He did not. Stan White had 174 more passing attempts.

You said Nix had fewer yards per attempt. Your own figures prove that Nix had better yards per attempt.

44 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Go ahead and ask him why the OL depth is non-existent.

That's easy. For the past two recruiting cycles, Harsin has failed to sign enough O-linemen to replace those who used up their eligibility or otherwise are no longer on the roster. Since college football runs on what is basically a four year re-supply system, failure to acquire sufficient replacements in back to back years is flirting with disaster. Wait until next year when almost all of Gus's O-line guys are gone. That's when you'll see zero depth and that will be Harsin's fault. Signing one O-line player in successive years won't get it done.

Previously, I listed for you a recent year when Gus signed five O-line prospects. Will Harsin ever accomplish that?

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Cam Newton isn't high on any "all-time" lists, so I guess he wasn't ever very good.

A guy who played one year at Auburn isn't going to be on any career stat list. DUH!

6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

That's easy. For the past two recruiting cycles, Harsin has failed to sign enough O-linemen to replace those who used up their eligibility or otherwise are no longer on the roster.

What about the prior 8 years?

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

A guy who played one year at Auburn isn't going to be on any career stat list. DUH!

Thank you for making my point.  I'm sure you're going to be way too oblivious to comprehend it

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Mikey said:

You said Nix had fewer yards per attempt.

No, I didn't.

The all-time offensive leader...way to dive deep and use that nuance on those stats.  I mean it doesn't mean anything that his % was atrocious, his YPA was tiny, or his attempts were far more others...all-time offensive leader!!!

I bolded it so you could try and see what I said better.  Quite the misquote there. 

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

What about the prior 8 years?

Hopefully, many players from the prior eight years are embarked on a successful life after college football. Several of those from five and six years back are going to be our starting O-line this year.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

No, I didn't.

I bolded it so you could try and see what I said better.  Quite the misquote there. 

Oh, you said it was tiny. Stan White's was even more tiny, so what was your point? Maybe Bo Nix needs one of those bumper stickers that are sometimes seen on older cars: "I may be slow but I'm ahead of you." Because he is, of course, ahead.

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Oh, you said it was tiny... So what's your point?

You misquoted me. You were wrong. What I said was not.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Stan White's was even more tiny, so what was your point?

More attempts + higher Y/A = more yardage. 

It does not mean better quarterback

Is that confusing to anyone else besides Mikey?

12 hours ago, Mikey said:

Why is that hard to understand? Ashford couldn't even get into a mop-up game so he went to a place where he thinks there will be less competition.

Coming out of high school he chose a place where two QBs rated higher than him and an established starter were.  That reflects an athlete who is not afraid to compete. Then he chose to be closer to home, as did DJ James and Jayson Jones. Not unusual. Also not unusual for a freshman QB on a ranked team with an established starter to not play. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, maryland tiger said:

Their lives are miserable for whatever reason(s). They might as well be bammers. 

I love that this got a like from one of the people being referred to in my post.

• Haha 2