Coach Harsin Quotes on First Practice

toddc

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

@Mikey, you know I don't have any issues with you.  Never have and most likely never will.  I don't hate anyone on here, even if they don't reciprocate.  You also know I was Bo's biggest fan and had been following him since high school.  I am the same way with Holden due to my personal ties with his family.  If I may make a suggestion, to save all of the back and forth, I would just wait until the Fall to see where Bo ends up.  Let the results speak for themselves.

Unfortunately Bo is no longer at Auburn, and I hate how his chapter at Auburn ended.  It still hurts to think about it, after all he gave to the university.  If he ends up the starter and lights it up at Oregon, it will make Harsin look like he made another bad decision at Auburn.  If he doesn't, then maybe it helps Auburn get back on track one year faster with a new quarterback taking the reins.

I am only saying all of this, because I know these types of arguments are what drives people away from this forum.  I always think back to what @AUsince72 told me in a PM, is that people like him come to this forum to escape from their lives in what they have going on.  He is no longer with us unfortunately, but he is far from the only one dealing with issues that come here to escape.  You aren't the only one at fault here for arguing, but I hope you can see my side and let bygones be bygones.  Let the football field determine the winner of this conversation.  This back and forth will only cause more frustration on everyone's ends.  I hope the tone of my voice that I am writing this in comes across the way it is intended, and not in any hateful sort of way.

Great post. Always appreciate your level-headedness on here. That's pretty cool that you're tight with the Geriner's. Now know who to tag when wondering about him, lol. I know we've hyped up every freshman QB for the last 10 years and none of them lived up to their expectations during the Gus regime, but I like this guy.

Seems like a more traditional Auburn QB that ended we got away from with Gus that may not be flashy or on sports center, but will get the job done. We all want superstars like Cam or NM, but they don't grow on trees. Hopefully he pushes for the job, because with his frame and arm, there's a lot to like long-term 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, au302 said:

Great post. Always appreciate your level-headedness on here. That's pretty cool that you're tight with the Geriner's. Now know who to tag when wondering about him, lol. I know we've hyped up every freshman QB for the last 10 years and none of them lived up to their expectations during the Gus regime, but I like this guy.

Seems like a more traditional Auburn QB that ended we got away from with Gus that may not be flashy or on sports center, but will get the job done. We all want superstars like Cam or NM, but they don't grow on trees. Hopefully he pushes for the job, because with his frame and arm, there's a lot to like long-term 

Thank you, I appreciate it.

I will say since I know them personally, there will always be a bit of bias with me because I want Holden to succeed.  Out of respect for the family though, I will only offer up insight if they give me the okay to do so.  I do know he loves Auburn and his family is excited.  I have an open offer for his family to sit with me at the home games.

Edited by abw0004
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Rumor was that the Nix family went to CBH after season with a list of wants/demands. No one knows if this is true or not, but it is highly speculated. Let's assume for the sake of arguing that it is true. That begs the question of what were the demands? Not to bring in a transfer QB? To guarantee Nix wouldn't be pulled again? To only recruit a certain number of QBs? To sign a big time WR?  Who knows. So that puts a decision on CBH to give in to the demands to keep what has been an average at best QB or to say " We want you here and want you to play for us, but we run this ship and are not going to give in to these demands" in so many words.

We gotta remember too that this was back in December. Bo's fixing to graduate, portals exploding and he's gotta move quickly one way or the other. He knows he needs good tape, and thus, to start somewhere. It would take a ton of audacity to ask for reassurance that he'd be starter, but it's easy to believe that they were concerned about transfers.

At the time there were major rumblings on Slovis and Williams. Bo and Pat are probably realistic enough to know that a transfer of either of those guys calibers would not come to sit behind him. Hell, even Calzada is scrappy enough to give him a major run. Harsin's likely not one to discuss recruiting and personnel plans with current players and parents. He likely gave them some generic answer of "we're exploring all options to better the program and create competition."

At that point, Bo and Pat have a serious decision to make. Come back in January and risk having a hot shot transfer come in and immediately take your job. Then you're stuck until after spring and would miss spring ball with your new team, plus have limited options with who needs a starting QB. Or, jump in the portal now and find a landing spot so you can get spring ball and better your odds of starting at the next place. Doesn't seem all that far fetched to me considering this is his money year 

4 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

This is a good post.

Question, though. If Bo were to go and "light it up" at Oregon this season, why would it reflect as a bad decision on Harsin?  No one but Bo, Coaching staff, and maybe the immediate family of Bo truly know exactly how that all went down. I really doubt Coach asked Bo to leave. I also doubt that he didn't put forth some effort to keep him. If the rumors were true about the Nix family's demands and Coach Harsin denied the request then that is not on Coach that is on Bo. 

Also, we all need to keep some context when considering Bo's successes and failures this season at Oregon. He should be expected to have better all around stats playing in the PAC as opposed to the SEC weekly grind with much better defenses. 

All in all, I hope Bo does well. If he does, I don't think that reflects negatively on Coach Harsin nor do I think it would validate Coach Harsin in the event that Bo fails at Oregon. The kid made a choice to leave his family school where he was the incumbent 3 year starter. That was his choice. Maybe he wasn't begged to stay, but if he never threatened to leave then there would have been no reason to beg.(Again none of us really know exactly what went down anyways)

Furthermore, in regards to Bo's AU legacy, I hate the way it played out even if I think maybe it was a toxic relationship. Bo had some pretty good accomplishments here that IMO will always be overshadowed by the fact that he left. One faction of the fan base will always blame the fans for being mean to Bo and too critical, while another faction will always hate on him regardless the heights he may or may not reach. Then there are a few level headed fans who see it for it is which is a shame it didn't work out between the two and wish both parties the best. 

Hah, I was literally thinking how the hell is it Harsin's bad decision when it was Bo's decision in the first place and was going to respond but then you eloquently did it for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, abw0004 said:

If Nix does well at Oregon, it would tell me Harsin made a bad decision in what I perceive in not making much of an effort to keep the best quarterback he had on hand.  Instead, what we have right now are three transfer quarterbacks and a true freshman.  If Nix succeeds at Oregon, it will look really bad for Harsin that he did not retain him.  With our OL the way it is, we need a mobile quarterback, and Ashford is the only mobile quarterback we have.  Harsin really needs to succeed this season either on the field or in recruiting (hopefully both).  This is assuming Nix wins the starting job at Oregon and then proceeds to win games for Oregon, of course.

It was Bo's decision to transfer. You cannot put that on Harsin.  Harsin didn't make that decision. Bo did. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Didba said:

Hah, I was literally thinking how the hell is it Harsin's bad decision when it was Bo's decision in the first place and was going to respond but then you eloquently did it for me.

You see, when an unnamed defensive back or wide receiver leaves, it just means they were soft and scared of competition and an inconsequential casualty of culture change. But when the legacy QB that for some reason some people think just wants to win more than everyone else and... loves... Auburn? more than everyone else?... leaves, we need to do a deep dive on our head coach's judgment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

BIRD

After years of having to deal with you, anyone would.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, abw0004 said:

that got him injured in our game against us of all games.  He will have less time with our OL

Both of these statements are incorrect.

Calzada was hurt against us when he scrambled out of the pocket, ran for ten yards and then tried to truck Smoke Monday with his left shoulder. Smoke ended his life basically and Calzada got up with a destroyed left arm/shoulder that took the hit.

Aggies oline was worse at pass pro last year then auburn and the stats are there to back it up. This was hashed out back when Calzada first transfered in. Aggies had a more talented oline but they allowed a ton more pressure then Auburn's oline. They graded out better in run blocking though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You see, when an unnamed defensive back or wide receiver leaves, it just means they were soft and scared of competition and an inconsequential casualty of culture change. But when the legacy QB that for some reason some people think just wants to win more than everyone else and... loves... Auburn? more than everyone else?... leaves, we need to do a deep dive on our head coach's judgment. 

It makes you wonder doesn't it?

• Like 1

And hell no Nix succeeding at Oregon wouldn't make Harsin look bad. It takes a special kind of oversimplified to come up with that if > then statement. 

But I don't think there's even a 50% chance he wins the job up there. I think he'll end up wishing he'd humbled himself and taken the Malik Willis route. 

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Bo quit on Auburn. No other way to describe it.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

30 minutes ago, bigbird said:

After years of having to deal with you, anyone would.

Very true just ask my wife of 33 years.....damn she's lucky as hell

3 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

damn she's lucky as hell

That's funny, so is mine 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, DAG said:

Histrionic personality for sure 

You're thinking of my cousin, he's constantly peacocking

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Completely agree. This year's been weird with that though. We've had folks freaking out about all of these dudes leaving no matter what. "Oh my gosh another backup DL left, forfeit the season and fire evil Harsin now" 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, au302 said:

Completely agree. This year's been weird with that though. We've had folks freaking out about all of these dudes leaving no matter what. "Oh my gosh another backup DL left, forfeit the season and fire evil Harsin now" 

And yet it's happening all over college football due to these new transfer rules. They just see it as only Auburn so they blane Harsin.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Bo made the best decision for Bo and his own future. Simple as that. He was not the worst AU qb nor was he the best. 

Maybe we saw his ceiling last year???? Maybe not??? 

Hoping the best for Bo and for the future of our current team. War Eagle! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Didba said:

It was Bo's decision to transfer. You cannot put that on Harsin.  Harsin didn't make that decision. Bo did. 

You are right, Bo did make that decision, but it does not seem like Harsin helped keep Bo either.  Worm also left, does that mean he quit on Auburn too?  Probably not.  I’m not looking to really debate this either.  My original post was to try and end the arguing, not jump in.  😂  Bo is gone.  Everything else is now in the past and will stay there.  I thought maybe Mikey would listen to me.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I didn’t say any of that (aside from Harsin potentially making a bad decision to not try to keep Bo).  I was just simply saying to let the next season play out to see who comes out on the right side (and both can absolutely come out on the right side at the same time).

Edited by abw0004
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Didba said:

Both of these statements are incorrect.

Calzada was hurt against us when he scrambled out of the pocket, ran for ten yards and then tried to truck Smoke Monday with his left shoulder. Smoke ended his life basically and Calzada got up with a destroyed left arm/shoulder that took the hit.

Aggies oline was worse at pass pro last year then auburn and the stats are there to back it up. This was hashed out back when Calzada first transfered in. Aggies had a more talented oline but they allowed a ton more pressure then Auburn's oline. They graded out better in run blocking though.

Been screaming this all off-season. Absolute fact

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

And hell no Nix succeeding at Oregon wouldn't make Harsin look bad. It takes a special kind of oversimplified to come up with that if > then statement. 

But I don't think there's even a 50% chance he wins the job up there. I think he'll end up wishing he'd humbled himself and taken the Malik Willis route. 

This

• Like 1

He may have not been a great QB but he was the best we had. Yes that reflects poorly on Harsin if he turns out better than anyone currently on our roster, sorry. I recognize that the transfer portal is a thing now but we'd better be getting some good names in. As of right now what has Harsin shown to indicate he can properly manage the transfer portal or HS recruiting?

Edited by AUwent
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2

20 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Worm also left, does that mean he quit on Auburn too?  Probably not.  I’m not looking to really debate this either

Apples and Oranges. 

Just now, AUwent said:

He may have not been a great QB but he was the best we had. Yes that reflects poorly on Harsin if he turns out better than anyone currently on our roster, sorry.

No, it doesn't. Bo chose to leave. Same way it won't validate Harsin or reflect positively on him if Bo fails miserably at Oregon. It was Bo's choice not CBH's.

13 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

No, it doesn't. Bo chose to leave. Same way it won't validate Harsin or reflect positively on him if Bo fails miserably at Oregon. It was Bo's choice not CBH's.

But why did he choose to leave?

This is borderline cult of personality.

Edited by AUwent
  • Facepalm 1