Coach Harsin Quotes on First Practice

toddc

43 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Worm also left, does that mean he quit on Auburn too?

A running back that was severely underused his entire career and burried behind Tank and Hunter is a whole heap different than a three year starter than had little competition behind him.  It's not just a different ballpark, it's an entirely different game.

BTW, check out Worm

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cb8U5EMv0ud/?utm_medium=share_sheet

Scroll right to the 2nd slide.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, AUwent said:

He may have not been a great QB but he was the best we had. Yes that reflects poorly on Harsin if he turns out better than anyone currently on our roster, sorry. I recognize that the transfer portal is a thing now but we'd better be getting some good names in. As of right now what has Harsin shown to indicate he can properly manage the transfer portal or HS recruiting?

Because maybe Oregon will be a breath of fresh air for him that wasn't going to happen here. Away from pressure of the SEC, pac-12 defenses, better support cast, and with his old OC in an offense that fits him better, etc. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, au302 said:

Because maybe Oregon will be a breath of fresh air for him that wasn't going to happen here. Away from pressure of the SEC, pac-12 defenses, better support cast, and with his old OC in an offense that fits him better, etc. 

Every time someone brings up the tough competition as reason for a shortcoming of ours, it further makes me wonder why everyone is so insistent we keep playing those stupid ugly mutts every year on top of the turds. Seriously, if we're going to go that route when the league expands, I'll happily keep divisions as long as we move to the east with the turds--that way the lizards have our schedule too.

Several of our athletics programs are doing great at bringing in talent via the TP and recruiting right now. This is actually pretty reassuring, as it means that we are capable of competing as an athletics program in this brave new world of collegiate athletics. But it makes you wonder, why is football having such trouble?

Edited by AUwent

20 minutes ago, au302 said:

For real, the deck is stacked for Bo at Oregon. He should do very well, that doesn't mean he would have done anything close at Auburn

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

You are right, Bo did make that decision, but it does not seem like Harsin helped keep Bo either.  Worm also left, does that mean he quit on Auburn too?  Probably not.  I’m not looking to really debate this either.  My original post was to try and end the arguing, not jump in.  😂  Bo is gone.  Everything else is now in the past and will stay there.  I thought maybe Mikey would listen to me.

I didn’t say any of that (aside from Harsin potentially making a bad decision to not try to keep Bo).  I was just simply saying to let the next season play out to see who comes out on the right side (and both can absolutely come out on the right side at the same time).

Not trying to debate either but I'll always take time to point out incorrect claims.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

He may have not been a great QB but he was the best we had. Yes that reflects poorly on Harsin if he turns out better than anyone currently on our roster, sorry. I recognize that the transfer portal is a thing now but we'd better be getting some good names in. As of right now what has Harsin shown to indicate he can properly manage the transfer portal or HS recruiting?

We've already had several good transfers this year and last.

As for HS recruiting if you've been paying attention the last couple of months Auburn has had a ton of highly rated recruits on campus and they are raving about the personalized aspect of the visits. Generally raving about the visits period. 

Guys in years past that wouldn't even step on campus due to scheme issues.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

I thought maybe Mikey would listen to me.

When Mikey reads this part...

neva-never.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

But why did he choose to leave?

He didn't get his way, so he took his ball and went home.

In other words, he and his colors ran.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Didba said:

Not trying to debate either but I'll always take time to point out incorrect claims.

I was wrong in was the game it appears.  It was the Alabama-Texas A&M game I was thinking of with the knee injury.  He isn’t afraid of pressure, but with our OL, it could do some numbers on him.  That is what worries me.

Edited by abw0004

2 hours ago, AUwent said:

This is borderline cult of personality.

I dunno, why did he choose to leave?

53 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I was wrong in was the game it appears.  It was the Alabama-Texas A&M game I was thinking of with the knee injury.  He isn’t afraid of pressure, but with our OL, it could do some numbers on him.  That is what worries me.

he will have better protection at Auburn than at A&M.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

But Bird, it was Harsin's fault Bo didn't get his way so ultimately Harsin made Bo transfer,, duh.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, AUwent said:

This is borderline cult of personality.

Because Auburn fans had the audacity to question him when he was an extremely mediocre QB

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Didba said:

he will have better protection at Auburn than at A&M.

Yep. Our offensive line provided adequate pass protection last year. Wasn't great, but it was adequate. 

Wild that Bo Nix fanboys still confuse his skittishness for inadequate pass protection. But it's the same as what we talked about with the transfers. Nix benefits from multiple double standards in the discourse. 

On 4/4/2022 at 7:20 AM, aubaseball said:

Are you seriously comparing the AAC to the SEC?   And you do know that Florida was a dumpster fire by the time the bowl game came around.   Auburn wasn’t much better by the end of the year but looking at stats to determine if Nix is the all time best QB at Auburn is silly.   He is definitely not in the top 5 and probably not in top 10.  

I'm comparing teams to their competition. Better conference = better players, both on your team and the opposition. Or it should equal better players. Auburn having better players than Houston didn't help us much, did it?

Please quote where I said Nix was the best all-time QB. I said, and the stats prove, that he is Auburn's all time total offense leader. He accomplished that in less than three full years, with fewer attempts than the prior record holder. Anything beyond that is your creation, not mine.

20 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Rumor was that the Nix family went to CBH after season with a list of wants/demands. No one knows if this is true or not, but it is highly speculated. Let's assume for the sake of arguing that it is true.

I choose to not believe this rumor, mainly because it defies common sense. Bo Nix and his family have spent a lifetime around competitive sports. They know that things don't work like that, demands aren't asked for nor granted in competitive situations. Also, a blind man could see that, barring injury, Nix would be the starting QB this coming season.

This rumor both defies common sense and is a handy excuse for apologists to pull out when needed.

23 hours ago, abw0004 said:

If I may make a suggestion, to save all of the back and forth, I would just wait until the Fall to see where Bo ends up.  Let the results speak for themselves.

I seldom start these conversations. These things are started by people who hate Gus and by extension, Bo Nix. Sometimes I let these hateful comments slide, sometimes I call them out.

My favorite example (author shall remain nameless): "Gus ran AU's program into the ground, now he's run UCF's into the ground". That was from back in December. Before then I had no idea how UCF was doing under Gus, he was gone and other than wishing him well I didn't think about him any more. Then I checked this statement and found that Gus inherited a team that was 6-5 the prior year, lost his NFL quality QB to injury early on and still improved UCF from 6-5 to 9-4.

It's pretty hard to skim over such statements as that without pointing out the BS.

13 hours ago, Didba said:

Guys in years past that wouldn't even step on campus due to scheme issues.

I see you haven't kept up with the great amounts of talent that's been coming to the Big Cat events in prior years. Sometimes we even got a few of them. Is the current staff capable of landing a few of this year's crop? We'll know after the early signing period in the Fall.

13 hours ago, bigbird said:

How about a little guidance from a mod:  The rule about rumors doesn't apply to this particular rumor? I wonder why that should be.

38 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I choose to not believe this rumor, mainly because it defies common sense. Bo Nix and his family have spent a lifetime around competitive sports. They know that things don't work like that, demands aren't asked for nor granted in competitive situations. Also, a blind man could see that, barring injury, Nix would be the starting QB this coming season.

This rumor both defies common sense and is a handy excuse for apologists to pull out when needed.

12 minutes ago, Mikey said:

How about a little guidance from a mod:  The rule about rumors doesn't apply to this particular rumor? I wonder why that should be.

I believe after things have been substantiated to a certain degree then it is no longer rumor. That is my fault for poor choice of words. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I believe after things have been substantiated to a certain degree then it is no longer rumor. That is my fault for poor choice of words. 

Has anything about this rumor been substantiated? All I've seen is people repeating what somebody told somebody else, on and on.

20 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Not when that Mod knows things you don't

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

We had some players who left because of the new culture which happens all the time but with the new Portal rule it exacerbated the problem. Some of those were players who probably could have helped the team if they had stayed and bought in to the culture some probably would have seen very little PT. We had good players like Bo and Worm leave because they felt they had a better chance to show their wares someplace else.  I am sure Harsin wanted to keep both Worm and Bo but the reality is with Tank, Hunter, And Alston coming in Worm probably thought he would get even fewer touches it had nothing to do with him not buying into the Harsin culture as he was the epitome of that culture. Bo was a good QB not a great QB he saw Finley come in last year and Harsin was looking at QB's in Portal so he was not assured of being the starter. That didn't mean Harsin didn't want him it meant Harsin didn't promise him the starting job. Add that to the fact that we did have some fans who were less then nice to Bo and Bo left. It was Bo's decision. 

A few people on this board seem to say Harsin should have fought harder to keep Bo, was he supposed to lie to him and guarantee him the starting job as that is probably what it would have taken. I think if Bo had stayed he probably had a good chance of starting as he did improve some last year but without guarantees he was not sure enough of himself to stay.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1