Providence Christian product walks-on as R.B

aubiefifty

1 minute ago, GunsmithAU said:

Is RB depth an issue because this screams of needing bodies. Small school RB with multiple blown knees 🤔

Not an issue- a well stocked walk on program builds great team character

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Good stuff. We all laugh about the seriousness Harsin takes in the walk-on program, but it's good to improve the quality. After Tank/Jarquez, it's uncertain. Seems like walk-ons such as Sean Jackson could have a legit shot at snaps barring them getting a transfer or Damari being the next freak 

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

DOTHAN, Ala. (WDHN)—One of the “top” high school running backs in the wiregrass several years ago will attempt
to make a comeback following two devastating injuries.

In 2018 as a sophomore, then Providence Christian running back, number four, Wise Gordon was one of the top
yard-gainers in Southeast Alabama. But, then tore his left knee which required surgery.

And then in 2019, Gordon was having a “great comeback” season until he blew out his other knee which
also required surgery.

Now, two years later and a graduate of Wallace College. Wise is a “walk-on” at Auburn University.

The young man hopes to overcome those injuries and be a productive member of the Tiger’s running attack
in 2022.

I always pull for guys like this.  War Eagle and I hope he can help us.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Go get it young man! I can't wait to see him. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GunsmithAU said:

Is RB depth an issue because this screams of needing bodies. Small school RB with multiple blown knees 🤔

In what way does a walk-on suggest a depth problem?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

rooting for this young man, two blown out knees are extremely traumatizing on a physical and mental level -- really difficult to bounce back from, I'm hoping he can do it.

I'm still convinced Malik Miller was going to have a nice career until his injury. 

On 3/16/2022 at 10:43 AM, GunsmithAU said:

We have the two who played a lot last year plus Alston plus a walk-on from last year that looked good and Ingram.  This was a young man who probably would have been a highly rated player prior to injuries who has recovered  enough to play at a lower level of football.  At best he is totally back and could be another option who could produce with little or no drop-off to allow starters to get a breather or at worst he is a great scout team player who helps defense get better week to week trying to stop him in practice.

This is not a position of need but if it turns out he has really recovered we might have a RB we can use that doesn't cost us anything.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, McLoofus said:

In what way does a walk-on suggest a depth problem?

Because I honestly didn't know how deep we were at RB. Apparently super deep which leaves to question why this kid. Why not a position that needs depth and reserves and scout team guys. 

58 minutes ago, GunsmithAU said:

Because I honestly didn't know how deep we were at RB. Apparently super deep which leaves to question why this kid. Why not a position that needs depth and reserves and scout team guys. 

Because we can have both. He's not a drag on any limit. Any AU student can ask to walk on and if approved, get beat up while playing on the practice squad. Walkons aren't on scholarship. They cost nothing.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

Because we can have both. He's not a drag on any limit. Any AU student can ask to walk on and if approved, get beat up while playing on the practice squad. Walkons aren't on scholarship. They cost nothing.

But there is a limit to overall team size isn't there? 

8 hours ago, GunsmithAU said:

We can have as many walk-ons at as many positions as we want. Not being snide, but that is why they are called walk-ons. 

Only scholarships are limited.

I am interested to see if nil changes the walk on landscape at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

We can have as many walk-ons at as many positions as we want. Not being snide, but that is why they are called walk-ons. 

Only scholarships are limited.

I am interested to see if nil changes the walk on landscape at all.

I actually thought there is a roster limit per the NCAA which would included scholarship and non scholarship players. I may be wrong, but seems like I read that somewhere.

2 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

I actually thought there is a roster limit per the NCAA which would included scholarship and non scholarship players. I may be wrong, but seems like I read that somewhere.

We do not have to put walk on players on the active roster. Unless I am mistaken. Unless we plan on playing them.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

8 minutes ago, wildlife alumni said:

We do not have to put walk on players on the active roster. Unless I am mistaken. Unless we plan on playing them.

Thank you, and my apologies. It is true that you can only have 105 active roster spots, but as Wildlife points out, players don't have to be listed as active. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ken woolley said:

If a player is not on the active roster can he see game time. Not agreeing or disagreeing with anything that has been said just want to know. 

I believe a player can be added to or removed from the active roster during the season. 

4 hours ago, ken woolley said:

If a player is not on the active roster can he see game time. Not agreeing or disagreeing with anything that has been said just want to know. 

Can a non active player even practice? I've always thought you are limited to 20 walkons 

No walk on RB will see meaningful snaps next year