2022 5* Big Yohan Traore Signs With AU!!!

CameronCrazy

We were close in his recruitment before lswho got him.

24 minutes ago, Tiger720 said:

Do we have a serious chance? I keep seeing people say Texas Tech. He would be a great replacement for Smith.

@Tiger720 Yes. Many respected people have thought we would be a major contender for him after WW was fired & before he decommitted.

• Like 1

5-star forward Yohan Traore decommits from LSU after firing of Will Wade

Joe Tiptonabout 1 hour
Article written by:Joe Tipton
Yohan-Traore
Yohan Traore / Twitter page

The mass exodus of LSU’s recruiting class is now complete, as the Tigers lose the commitment of five-star Yohan Traore following the firing of former head coach Will Wade.

“I would like to first thank Coach Wade and the staff for giving me an opportunity to be apart and play for Louisiana State University. Was really looking forward to competing for the LSU Tigers and playing for the great fan base that LSU has. Due to the recent changes within the basketball program, my family and I have decided to reopen my recruitment. Looking forward to finding a new place I can call home,” Traore said in a statement to On3.

Traore is ranked as the No. 17 overall prospect in the 2022 On3 Consensus, a complete and equally weighted industry-generated average that utilizes all four major recruiting media companies. On3’s evaluators are much higher on French big man, ranking him 6th overall in the class.

The 6-foot-10 power forward out of Dream City (Ariz.) Christian chose the Tigers in January over Texas Tech, Michigan, Memphis, Auburn and Kansas.

LSU has now lost the entirety of their 2022 class, as five-star Julian Phillips and four-star Devin Ree both reopened their recruitment in recent days. Marvel Allen, a top-20 prospect in the 2023 class, also decommitted from LSU over the weekend.

Additional info on Traore’s recruitment

Prior to choosing LSU in January, Traore’s recruitment was quiet for months. The big man made official visits to Texas Tech, Michigan, Memphis, and Kansas between the months of September and October. Traore struggled to decide which school would host him last for his fifth and final official visit. At first, UCLA and Texas were the frontrunners, before shifting to a pair of Tigers in the SEC – Auburn and LSU.

Obviously, Traore chose LSU over Auburn for his final official visit.

With that being said, I now expect Auburn to immediately become a MAJOR contender in Yohan Traore’s recruitment, now that it’s back open.

Here is what Traore had to say about the Auburn Tigers in a recent interview with Auburn Live’s Jeffrey Lee prior to his commitment to LSU:

“I talk to Coach Bruce Pearl and Coach Wes a lot,” Traore said. “Auburn is a great school and I really like the coaches. I think it would be a great fit…I have watched Auburn and Jabari Smith. They’ve been doing great and I really like the way they use Jabari with posting up and isolation. I think I could be that guy who could be able to go in and do the same.”

Traore discusses previous official visits

Traore also previously discussed the other programs involved in his recruitment prior to choosing LSU.

Texas Tech: “Great atmosphere. I have a good relationship with the coaches. I love the way they play. They play through their bigs so I would definitely have a chance to shine.”

Michigan: “I have a great relationship with Juwan Howard. I love the way they play and they have my boy Moussa Diabate from France so I think we can be good. I’ve been talking to him about Michigan and he just says ‘you gotta work hard and you can earn your place.’”

Memphis: “I think I can learn a lot. Larry Brown is over there, Penny Hardaway, Rasheed Wallace, so I think it could be a great place too.”

Kansas: “The atmosphere man. I went to see their opening game and it was a great atmosphere. And I love the players, they made me feel like I was family. I like the way they play too, they play through their bigs so I feel like it could be a good place too.”

Scouting Report on Yohan Traore

“Strong frame. Broad shoulders. Moves feet well laterally. Can switch on screens, move feet with a perimeter guy. Good weakside shot blocker. Is comfortable facing up, can rip through and get downhill. Has developed his jump shot from 3-point range; is now a threat. An explosive vertical athlete. Runs the floor well. A solid rebounder can drift in and out at times here. Is undersized for a five. Moves in a unique manner for a 6-10. A native of France.” – Jamie Shaw, On3’s National Recruiting Analyst

• ellitor changed the title to 2022 5* Big Yohan Traore (3/22/22: LSU Decommit)
1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Who?

Jeffrey “Thanos” M’ba. He is French citizen and could help with Traore.

1 hour ago, AUreo said:

Jeffrey “Thanos” M’ba. He is French citizen and could help with Traore.

How does he help AU?

12 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Benson is in so many words/actions putting it out there that we have a chance with Phillips. I think he’s the long shot in comparison here

Who’s that?  Is Phillips Traore’s americanized name?

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

Who’s that?  Is Phillips Traore’s americanized name?

Julian Phillips is the other 5-star 2022 former LSU commit. 

The Traore last name is like “Smith” for people from Mali. Related, if you aren’t a soccer fan - google Adama Traore (plays at Barcelona), imo that dude could’ve been a hall of fame RB if he grew up in the US. 

Edited by Dunndone414
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Dunndone414 said:

Traore gave an interview to SI this morning. Making his decision next week, no visits. Choosing between Auburn, Texas Tech, Gonzaga and Michigan. 

Sounds like a business decision.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, WarEagleIn2010 said:

First crystal ball to AU.  From Austin Massey with Texas Tech 247.

Most notable part of this is it coming from one of our "competitors" for the kid. I feel like it would take Sc*ot Henderson or *alen Gree* type bad luck for us to miss on this one 

• Like 1

This would be a real game-changer for next season, given what we expect to lose in the frontcourt. It also continues the pipeline we can sell to top forwards who want to go to the NBA. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

59 minutes ago, WarEagleIn2010 said:

First crystal ball to AU.  From Austin Massey with Texas Tech 247.

Well that's promising coming from a TT guy

• Like 1
  • Love 1

He gave glowing comments about us to 247 (free): 

"The culture Bruce Pearl is producing over there really stands out," Traore said on Auburn. "The winning mentality because of his defense and how he gives his players the freedom to showcase their talents really caught my attention."

"I like the way Coach Pearl used Jabari Smith this past year," Traore said. "I feel Jabari is pretty comparable to myself and has a similar trajectory. He was not really well known but now every school in America knows about him. That is something that really caught my eye from my perspective."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1