How bad is the SEC?

alexava

LSU coach was fired hard to overcome 

Bama Quinnerly hurt in the first few minutes

Vol had a tough draw

Kentucky is the only one that’s inexcusable 

The SEC is a very good league. Once you get to the NCAA Tournament, it is all about making shots and coaching. Also, you must have heart. How bad do you want it? LSU lost because their minds seem to be someone else. I never seen them play that bad. Alabama was inconsistent all season. Tennessee had a cold shooting night and Kentucky could not make in game adjustments. 

• Like 1

Talent wise the SEC is right up there with any league. Most of the SEC plays good defense using their athletes. LSU attacks you but often over commits and leave open shooters.  They have done that all year.  Sadly to many SEC teams rely on dribble drive for their whole offense and hitting the three. Arkansas was a good example of that . Sadly most SEC offenses don't move the ball well via the pass.  I have watched Auburn this year when we have good ball movement and make the extra pass we get more open shots and we shoot a better percentage on the three but when we keep the ball in one players hand to long we end up jacking up a contested three. 

SEC style of play is get great athletes and sadly play street ball when we play O. That said SEC does play tough D but when we run into less talented but more disciplined teams they have trouble as they make the extra pass.  Auburn has played both styles this year and we can compete with anybody the question is which Auburn team shows up the disciplined team that makes the extra pass and also mixes in the dribble drive periodically or the one man show team where we dribble till end of shot clock. Last game gave me a lot of hope but we will be playing a better team when we play Miami. We are the better team and I believe we can win. If we play with discipline on O while using out athleticism we can play with anybody.

• Like 2

Coaching pedigree comes into play. Little game Rick is doing what he does. Kentucky (Calipari) hasn’t been the same since the one and done has been embraced across the board and the SEC has become not terrible. Alabama lived off the strength of the Gonzaga and Baylor wins. 

I have always upheld that the SEC has been the second best conference and I still feel like that. I think the Big 10 had a transcendent regular season last year and they were very disappointing as well, iirc. 

The conference’s best coaches just need to prove themselves when it matters. There’s a lot of RS darlings. I like how Muss looks and the resiliency of his teams here. I don’t know what to think of Pearl in a macro sense, Will Wade and Oats have (or was, in one case) been very disappointing so far. I also think there’s too many talent assemblers and not actual coaches. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Talent wise the SEC is right up there with any league. Most of the SEC plays good defense using their athletes. LSU attacks you but often over commits and leave open shooters.  They have done that all year.  Sadly to many SEC teams rely on dribble drive for their whole offense and hitting the three. Arkansas was a good example of that . Sadly most SEC offenses don't move the ball well via the pass.  I have watched Auburn this year when we have good ball movement and make the extra pass we get more open shots and we shoot a better percentage on the three but when we keep the ball in one players hand to long we end up jacking up a contested three. 

SEC style of play is get great athletes and sadly play street ball when we play O. That said SEC does play tough D but when we run into less talented but more disciplined teams they have trouble as they make the extra pass.  Auburn has played both styles this year and we can compete with anybody the question is which Auburn team shows up the disciplined team that makes the extra pass and also mixes in the dribble drive periodically or the one man show team where we dribble till end of shot clock. Last game gave me a lot of hope but we will be playing a better team when we play Miami. We are the better team and I believe we can win. If we play with discipline on O while using out athleticism we can play with anybody.

Some really talented guards but a dearth of real facilitators I notice. And the ones who do pass it a bit standout. Vescovi comes to mind, Davidson could be like that for a different team I believe. I like Wheeler and I think Tyty will show that potential on the next level. Auburn has three guys that all have flaws that keep them from really having consistently great passing, LSU is nothing without Pinson, so on and on 

There’s a lot of star chasing that goes on in the conference, esp with the guard spots. It’s actually funny with how spotty Tennessee was for a while but they created a dream like guard stable. Vescovi - smart and crafty, Zeigler - smart and great on both ends, Kennedy - fringe lottery guy. I think they were felled by meh big play and Barnes being Barnes. Fuse their guards with our bigs and you have a super team. 

There is nothing wrong with the SEC. LSU looked that waybecause they had an interim coach and very little time to prepare. Take Coach Pearl or any coach off the team in such a short time and see what happens. Bama lost Quinnerly which is arguably their best player. We all saw what happen when Zep was out for Auburn. The Vols just caught a bad match against Michigan. Juwan was a good player and seems to be a pretty good coach. Michigan has been making some deep runs in the tournament. Kentucky there are no words for them. TAMU should have made it but it is what it is

Edited by e808
Typo
  • Like 1

Whatever is said, the conference started with 6 in and we are down to 2.  Ark just got by but will have to raise their game to challenge Zaga.  

I like our chances to get to the Elite 8 game... and I will be pulling for Providence to improve our odds in getting to the final 4 again.

Not doing well in tournament, i.e. not peaking at right time and /or other teams peaking more ideally. Look who SEC beat during reg season and how many teams were top 25-ish during reg season though. Like bowl season in football, "what have you done lately" that everyone knows is coming. Still, cruel.

6 hours ago, 81spacetiger said:

Whatever is said, the conference started with 6 in and we are down to 2.  Ark just got by but will have to raise their game to challenge Zaga.  

I like our chances to get to the Elite 8 game... and I will be pulling for Providence to improve our odds in getting to the final 4 again.

That Providence team is dangerous and really has been a sleeper all year.  They could go all the way IMO.  

8 hours ago, alexava said:

This conference is not doing well. 

I dont necessarily think u can judge a conference by how they do in tourney. Alot of it depends on draw,match ups etc. In a 1 and done, the best team doesn't always win. Kentucky beats St Peter's 9 out of 10 times. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, e808 said:

Vol had a tough draw

Against a 14-loss team?

If we had lost to a 14-loss team, we would be labeling it inexcusable.

The Big 10's worst eligible bubble team beats the SEC Tournament Champ, who beat all three of their SEC Tourney opponents by 7+.

Edited by Viper
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

That Providence team is dangerous and really has been a sleeper all year.  They could go all the way IMO.  

All the remaining teams have shown they can be dangerous.  If you don't bring your A game, you are likely to get bounced.  

And, given the chance to play Arizona or Providence, who would you pick?

10 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Sadly most SEC offenses don't move the ball well via the pass. 

True. The two caveats are Tennessee and Vandy. I was envious of their ball movement this season.

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Kentucky beats St Peter's 9 out of 10 times. 

Obviously not as St. Pete is in the Sweet Sixteen.

• Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, Viper said:

Against a 14-loss team?

If we had lost to a 14-loss team, we would be labeling it inexcusable.

The Big 10's worst eligible bubble team beats the SEC Tournament Champ, who beat all three of their SEC Tourney opponents by 7+.

Auburn lost to Tamu and their win loss isn’t much better. Sometimes the record doesn’t tell the story. Michigan has been to the big dance like 5 or 6 straight years. Watching the game yesterday I never got the feeling the Vols were going to win. For example take Kentucky all the talent in the world but somehow finds a to underachieve. Now a good amount want him gone.

If you are playing your best basketball in March, record is meaningless for evaluation at this time of year. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

That's so true! It's all about D, disrupting and destroying the opponent... most SEC teams don't really play much Basketball... it's a football conference and it shows (same philosophy)!

Edited by AUreo

1 hour ago, e808 said:

Auburn lost to Tamu and their win loss isn’t much better.

That was the conference tournament. It served AU sooooooooo much better to lose the first game so that they could have more time to self-scout and get Kessler's shoulder more healing time. Plus AU didn't need to win that tournament. As evidenced by Tennessee winning it.

In stark contrast, 2019 AU needed to win the SEC Tournament for gelling and momentum. Plus that team had no injuries needed to rest.

To say any 14-loss team was a tough draw is wrong. I don't care if John Wooden rose from the dead to coach a 14-loss team, any team in the NCAA Tournament would take that matchup every single year.

Edited by Viper
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Viper said:

That was the conference tournament. It served AU sooooooooo much better to lose the first game so that they could have more time to self-scout and get Kessler's shoulder more healing time. Plus AU didn't need to win that tournament. As evidenced by Tennessee winning it.

In stark contrast, 2019 AU needed to win the SEC Tournament for gelling and momentum. Plus that team had no injuries needed to rest.

To say any 14-loss team was a tough draw is wrong. Any team in the NCAA Tournament would take that matchup every single year.

I respectfully disagree. U are just looking at win/losses. By the matrix u are using Michigan wouldn’t be there but the committee thought otherwise and took SOS and win and loss into consideration. Watching  Michigan play these two games there is no way u can conclude that they are the traditional 14 seed. For whatever reason Michigan didn’t win more game and as Barkley said the tournament is a chance for every team to reset. Again watching the game yesterday I never felt the VOLs were going to win.  
Lastly, I bet Vols fans don’t share that playing a 14 seed any day of the week assessment. They feel they got shafted. I don’t recall a power conference having a team seeded that low.

Edited by e808