Men vs Miami Game Thread

Maverick.AU

4 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

All I'm gonna say on this. I'm in a bad mood (since you made me feel better....), but don't say he got outcoached all year and then say semantics when confronted on it. Plenty of hate this year in threads in bad games, and there were some of times he was outcoached, but damn, it gets old as hell. Actually have discussion instead of doing the typical auburn fan response and want to act the like the coach sucks ass

From my very limited attention . I love what Bruce pearl has bought to auburn. He seems like a very capable recruiter and can motivate with the best of them. I do question the game strategy though. He kind of reminds me of the college basketball version of Mark Jackson. 

Edited by DAG

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Hope everybody doesn't melt too much. Tomorrow if anybody wants I'll be down to talk to people about what they think we were missing this year and what can improve us next year. I'll give my thoughts too (if people want to talk about it)

Please do. Would be a thread I’d like to read. I don’t know basketball like I know football so I’d like to hear your thoughts, specifically how we bounce back better next year and the pieces we are missing. 

Can’t shoot, can’t win.  Plain and simple.  Never going to win shooting 30% from field

too many “unforced errors” and lack of focus.  

Edited by TigerPAC

9 minutes ago, e808 said:

I wouldn’t say they quit. The turning point was when Auburn had a chance to take the lead and they missed all three chances underneath. Kess and Bari couldn’t finish. Right after that is when Miami went on the run. Big swing on that one possession 

There was no effort. I get missed shots but so many times they didn’t get back on defense. How many fast break points did Miami have?

Great regular season and SEC champs! Extremely poor and underachieving post season.

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Hope everybody doesn't melt too much. Tomorrow if anybody wants I'll be down to talk to people about what they think we were missing this year and what can improve us next year. I'll give my thoughts too (if people want to talk about it)

I'm down. A good start would be with Kess coming back. He may not but he should. 

I'm afraid we thought we had this game in the bag and when we kept getting punched in the mouth and nose and bleeding all over the place we panicked. Had no answer other than missed bunnies, lazy passes, crappy 3 takes and bad ball handling.

Was a good season with some great players to watch - but it feels hollow today. Going to need some time to get over this and think positively.

Anywho, we need better guard play going forward. Just too inconsistent. Good season for the guys. I honestly never thought we were out of any game this season. I think after we had the ball and had the chance to go up 34-33 and Jabari and Kessler BOTH got their shots blocked and we didn't take the lead that was it. Miami then went up by 10 points. Was over at that point. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

Chet looked very shaky last night and it seems he has a very hard time doing anything with athletic bigs. Despite his off shooting night , Jabari game will transition much quicker than Chet IMO.

100% accurate. Jabari should be the #1 pick hands down. 

• Like 1

Just now, DAG said:

From my very limited attention . I love what Bruce pearl has bought to auburn. He seems like a very capable recruiter and can motivate with the best of them. I do question the game strategy though. He kind of reminds me of the college basketball version of Marc Jackson. 

Yes his in game strategy can be questionable at times, I catch myself questioning things as well at times, but he has lead AU basketball to places we never thought possible, and plenty of great coaches, don't make it all the way, march is march. But tonight is one of those times that I was disappointed in BP, his two best players were off and out of maybe 2 guys, no one else showed any fight. Just expected a little more dawg in this team in a game like this

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I just don't understand all the Bruce bashing when we know if we don't shot well as a team and turn the ball over, we're likely going to lose b/c we're not a good offensive team.

That’s one of the biggest problems and actually why I hate watching auburn basketball even though I enjoy that we are now premier or at least on our way. I never have liked the live and die by the jumpshot mentality, in college or nba. I’ve also very rarely seen it work to win it all on both sides, unless you have a KD,Steph, and Klay combo.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, zeroforwinger said:

There was no effort. I get missed shots but so many times they didn’t get back on defense. How many fast break points did Miami have?

Like 30 and I think we had only like 3 or 4. 

3 minutes ago, Dunndone414 said:

Remember earlier in the season when Kessler was automatic rolling to the rim in the pick and roll? That totally disappeared.

What gets me about Kessler is his lack of emotion. He is just to passive to dominate a game in the paint offensively.  Does he ever get pissed off?

Miami is the type of team that has given us trouble all year.  guards very athletic and bigger than our guards good ball handlers and play passing lane. Add that Jabari has his worse shooting night and so many missed shots around the basket. We also went back into our dribble ball offense.  Miami posted our guards and had an outside shooter playing 5 keeping our shot blocker away from the paint so the smaller goods didn't have any help.

I am still proud of this team. There was a reason we were originally picked 5th we had no true SG and while our PG's were adequate they don't know how and when to feed the bigs down low. Put a couple of the Tennessee guards on this team and we would have been really hard to beat.

As for the person who doesn't think either Jabari or Kessler will be first round picks you don't know much about the game. Normally Jabari is a great shooter at 6'10" who can move and play D he will go first round. Does Jabari have areas he needs to improve of course but remember he is 18 and NBA drafts on potential. His handle is weak and he is not physical enough as he matures he will get stronger. He will take his lumps at times but he will also light it up. A big who can shoot and play defense is always near the top of the 1st round.

Kessler needs to get stronger and develop a down low game. If I was a NBA team who drafted him I would get Dirk or Dirk's old coach from Germany to work on the little fall away jumper. Not the Dirk fall away long range jumper but around the basket. At 7'1" with long arms it would be close to an unstoppable shot but would take a couple of years to develop.

When Kessler goes pro they will get somebody to work with him every day so he can develop into a more typical old school center they will also get him on a lifting program to allow him to handle bodies down low.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

No. In basketball you have to be assertive. Can't hold back or play timid! You'll lose every time

Yes.....I know that......🙄

Kessler had this happen before. It gets in his head. And sitting for all that time....

BTW....you have to be assertive in every sport.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

He can't make the shot for the players. I agree that Bruce could have enforced the players to RUN the offense better by demanding better passing and cutting. I also think he needs to learn when to take control over the team in key moments. We don't have the leadership and guys at guard to do that at this point. 

But what else is he supposed to do? I just don't understand all the Bruce bashing when we know if we don't shot well as a team and turn the ball over, we're likely going to lose b/c we're not a good offensive team. We have a slim margin of error as a team unlike teams like 

I dont see a ton of Bruce bashing. We simply got out coached today. It happens. Just at the worst possible time   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DAG said:

That’s one of the biggest problems and actually why I hate watching auburn basketball even though I enjoy that we are now premier or at least on our way. I never have liked the live and die by the jumpshot mentality, in college or sports. I’ve also very rarely seen it work to win it all on both sides, unless you have a KD,Steph, and Klay 

We have  KD... oh wait u meant THE KD

• Haha 1

Just now, zeroforwinger said:

I am just gonna chalk it up as Miami being the veteran team. It might seem like excuses but Auburn has a lot of new faces and that’s why they were picked that low in the SEC. No one new what to expect. They managed to do well and hide most deficiencies with great defense throughout the year. Unfortunately the blueprint on how to beat Auburn has been out for about two months and they never figured out how to overcome it

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Miami is the type of team that has given us trouble all year.  guards very athletic and bigger than our guards good ball handlers and play passing lane. Add that Jabari has his worse shooting night and so many missed shots around the basket. We also went back into our dribble ball offense.

I am still proud of this team. As for the person who doesn't think either Jabari or Kessler will be first round picks you don't know much about the game. Normally Jabari is a great shooter at 6'10" who can move and play D he will go first round. Does Jabari have areas he needs to improve of course but remember he is 18 and NBA drafts on potential. His handle is weak and he is not physical enough as he matures he will get stronger. He will take his lumps at times but he will also light it up. A big who can shoot and play defense is always near the top of the 1st round.

Kessler needs to get stronger and develop a down low game. If I was a NBA team who drafted him I would get Dirk or Dirk's old coach from Germany to work on the little fall away jumper. Not the Dirk fall away long range jumper but around the basket. At 7'1" with long arms it would be close to an unstoppable shot but would take a couple of years to develop.

When Kessler goes pro they will get somebody to work with him every day so he can develop into a more typical old school center they will also get him on a lifting program to allow him to handle bodies down low.

LOL Kessler will develop into an old school center.. That's funny. That would be the greatest transformation in the history of mankind. 

Edited by NWALA Tiger

1 minute ago, e808 said:

I am just gonna chalk it up as Miami being the veteran team. It might seem like excuses but Auburn has a lot of new faces and that’s why they were picked that low in the SEC. No one new what to expect. They managed to do well and hide most deficiencies with great defense throughout the year. Unfortunately the blueprint on how to beat Auburn has been out for about two months and they never figured out how to overcome it

Good post 

• Love 1

9 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

An ally-ooper and that’s about it.

He seems to be dangerous in transition running the court, but we didn't find ourselves there very often as of late. 

He needs a mid range game badly. 

I'm surprised Bruce didn't trap any this game. We saw a little bit of it against Jacksonville State. I get Miami's guards are better but we didn't really pressure them much. And we quickly got out of the zone. We stayed in it for like 1 possession...

Just now, DAG said:

That’s one of the biggest problems and actually why I hate watching auburn basketball even though I enjoy that we are now premier or at least on our way. I never have liked the live and die by the jumpshot mentality, in college or sports. I’ve also very rarely seen it work to win it all on both sides, unless you have a KD,Steph, and Klay combo.

I've talked about it in previous threads but kids now fall in love too much with the 3. I help run a basketball clinic b/c my sons play. Hell, nobody has a mid range game anymore. I've seen all tournament, players wide open 10 - 15ft only to 1. Drive into a charge or step out for a 3pt shot. They don't know what to do with 10 - 15ft open shot. No one has a floater. 

Demar D on the Bulls is killing the NBA with mid range game. This is why Jabari's game will translate well. He takes those shots face up or back to the basket. He was off tonight but kid is going to be a problem!

I don't mind the 3s if the right players are taking them and we're hitting them at a certain percentage. We just didn't have the personnel needed to generate enough offense. Still a great season. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, e808 said:

I mean Miami played great. They have a great coach and they deserve a lot of credit. But, we beat ourselves through lack of effort and playing with no discipline. 

• Like 1