Men vs Miami Game Thread

Maverick.AU

27 minutes ago, Dunndone414 said:

I’m curious to see what Bruce is willing to do as far as roster management goes with all of guards and wings potentially returning. 

Well. He needs to get a true shooting guard (Bryce Brown type)

Then he can start KD and alternate Zep and Green. I don't like having both of them on the floor at the same time. They are both not weapons on offense.Green can be. They are serviceable.  I would go Green. KD and a true shooting guard and bring Zep off the bench..   Reload with 2 good bigs to replace Kessler (if he does go pro) and Smith...

Edited by ArgoEagle

Obviously, freaking Bryan Harsin going to games is what cursed us!  Arrrrghhh, fire that man!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I think it all depends on who we're able to get in the transfer portal. If we get better talent that can start at guard..it's clear whose minutes need to be decreased and who doesn't need to start. I like Wen and i think he does well in his role; not starting but playing major minutes. We need a PG that has a high IQ...get us in our sets, understand mismatches and can shoot consistently. 

Right now, we have more role players at guard than starters. Bruce will do all he can to get us where we need to be.

I think we need 3 or 4 6'3" to 6'6" fast twitch guys on the perimeter that can handle and create shots. Basically, a few KDs that are 6'5".

• Like 1

We lost against a veteran, motivated team. Towards the end, the announcers mentioned that the Miami team on the floor averaged 23 yrs old. Experience and good guard play count for a ton March, and we really didn't have either. I had a bad feeling going into this game. It was a really fun season though. I hope (and think) Bruce will learn from this. I really hope we come up with a couple of lights out shooters in recruiting or the portal.

Despite my negative posts tonight (I strongly believe as fans we have the right to be realistic about our team’s flaws) I want to say that I have absolutely loved this season. So much fun. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, e808 said:

I am just gonna chalk it up as Miami being the veteran team. It might seem like excuses but Auburn has a lot of new faces and that’s why they were picked that low in the SEC. No one new what to expect. They managed to do well and hide most deficiencies with great defense throughout the year. Unfortunately the blueprint on how to beat Auburn has been out for about two months and they never figured out how to overcome it

There is much to work on in the off season.  New faces, etc.  The coaching staff has to re-evaluate what they expect of the team next year.  I hope offensive play is one of them; not just defensive play. 

There is a lot to pic on, but these new faces for one year made history in many ways to include a regular season SEC  championship.  One wonders if everyone came back what could we accomplish with a year under everyone's belt. 

Its going to be tough, the season is over.

Just now, creed said:

I think we need 3 or 4 6'3" to 6'6" fast twitch guys on the perimeter that can handle and create shots. Basically, a few KDs that are 6'5".

That's an NBA all star wish list. lol. But certainly a couple guys that can get a bucket on their own. 

1 minute ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I've talked about it in previous threads but kids now fall in love too much with the 3. I help run a basketball clinic b/c my sons play. Hell, nobody has a mid range game anymore. I've seen all tournament, players wide open 10 - 15ft only to 1. Drive into a charge or step out for a 3pt shot. They don't know what to do with 10 - 15ft open shot. No one has a floater. 

Demar D on the Bulls is killing the NBA with mid range game. This is why Jabari's game will translate well. He takes those shots face up or back to the basket. He was off tonight but kid is going to be a problem!

I don't mind the 3s if the right players are taking them and we're hitting them at a certain percentage. We just didn't have the personnel needed to generate enough offense. Still a great season. 

That’s one thing Miami did extremely well tonight, hit the mid range shot. I can’t even count on one hand mid range jumpers we made. 

The landscape of college basketball is changing. I remember in years past the higher seeds would be winning by 30 plus points in the first round and pretty easily in the second round to make it to the sweet 16. Times have changed. U can lose in any round now if u dont bring ur A game

Edited by e808
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Obviously, freaking Bryan Harsin going to games is what cursed us!  Arrrrghhh, fire that man!

He was seen leaving the stadium at halftime without a shirt!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 81spacetiger said:

There is much to work on in the off season.  New faces, etc.  The coaching staff has to re-evaluate what they expect of the team next year.  I hope offensive play is one of them; not just defensive play. 

There is a lot to pic on, but these new faces for one year made history in many ways to include a regular season SEC  championship.  One wonders if everyone came back what could we accomplish with a year under everyone's belt. 

Its going to be tough, the season is over.

One could dream if only Cooper had stayed

10 minutes ago, GTNupe11 said:

I'm surprised Bruce didn't trap any this game. We saw a little bit of it against Jacksonville State. I get Miami's guards are better but we didn't really pressure them much. And we quickly got out of the zone. We stayed in it for like 1 possession...

Dude drilled a 3 from the Logo - and it put an end to that zone idea

• Haha 1

Just a question. Is Kessler a center that plays like a forward or a forward that doesn't really play like a center?

In my opinion, which isn't worth much, he would benefit playing with his back to the basket and developing a hook shot and mid range jumper. 

Edited by creed

13 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

LOL Kessler will develop into an old school center.. That's funny

I think Kessler would do better to come back. He is strong and aggressive on defense, but kind of weak on offense. He needs to learn how to get mean around the goal on offense or he'll get man handled in the pros.

Edited by ArgoEagle
  • Like 2

We got smacked today. We never led at all, and Miami controlled the game from the tip. I thought we'd have turned the corner especially we cut it to 1 at half, but our habits did us in. We were too prone to slow starts in the second halves all year, and guess what -- yet another slow start in the second half after grabbing that momentum at the end. This game showed all of our struggles that we had all year: 1) questionable shot selection 2) sluggish, slow starts 3) pedestrian to abysmal 3-point shooting 4) rebounding. We were able to overcome it, but it would eventually come back and did us in in the tournament time. 

Still very proud of this group. 28 wins, #1 ranking for the first time, and SEC regular season champs. Hoping we can put extra emphasis on shooting and rebounding and we're going to be alright.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, difball said:

Dude drilled a 3 from the Logo - and it put an end to that zone idea

LOL. True. But we were getting killed on the dribble and drive so for him to get out of it so quickly bothered me. 

36 minutes ago, Dunndone414 said:

I’m curious to see what Bruce is willing to do as far as roster management goes with all of guards and wings potentially returning. 

Bruce knows better than us of course, but Green, KD, Zep, JWill, and Cardwell should be the only ones allowed to come back unless Kessler somehow wants to.

Recruit over Wendell and KD at the guard spots for more athletic guys that can shoot. Start over at small forward, and get solid starters at the 4/5 that can pair with JWill/Cardwell 

9 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

Well. He needs to get a true shooting guard (Bryce Brown type)

Then he can start KD and alternate Zep and Green. I don't like having both of them on the floor at the same time. They are both not weapons on offense.Green can be. They are serviceable.  I would go Green. KD and a true shooting guard and bring Zep off the bench..   Reload with 2 good bigs to replace Kessler (if he does go pro) and Smith...

Need a stopper at the wing and perimeter like Okoro - the ease with which the Miami guards got to the hoop killed us. 

Edited by difball
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, e808 said:

The landscape of college basketball is changing. I remember in years past the higher seeds would be winning by 30 plus points in the first round and pretty easily in the second round to make it to the sweet 16. Times have changed. U can lose in any round now if u dont bring ur A game

Yep. Transfer portal in college basketball can certainly change a team for the better overnight now. Of course everything has to come together. That's why i'm not too down on Auburn. When you put it all in perspective....we had an amazing season. This was a team that was together for 1 year.....1 YEAR! We won the SEC. 

7 minutes ago, zeroforwinger said:

I mean Miami played great. They have a great coach and they deserve a lot of credit. But, we beat ourselves through lack of effort and playing with no discipline. 

That’s been pretty much the  theme for every loss. A decision has to be made. Do u think the guards will be better with another year under their belt or do u seek better talent.  The team next year could look a little different or entirely different only time will tell

1 minute ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Yep. Transfer portal in college basketball can certainly change a team for the better overnight now. Of course everything has to come together. That's why i'm not too down on Auburn. When you put it all in perspective....we had an amazing season. This was a team that was together for 1 year.....1 YEAR! We won the SEC. 

Here is my like since I am out 👍🏿

Trey Alexander would have been a nice get. He played well until the last few minutes of the game. I guess whatever promise that was made to him was broken and decided to go elsewhere 

• Love 1

29 minutes ago, fishepa said:

Kessler can’t post up. He literally doesn’t have any post moves. 

This 100%. Kessler transferred from North Carolina for 2 reasons. The first and main reason he left UNC is because he didn't want to be a "back to the basket" player. The 2nd reason he left is more a reason he came to Auburn and that is because Jabari would be here and Kessler felt like this could be a special season. Bruce actually mentioned both of these recently as being the 2 reason Kessler came here. 

30 minutes ago, fishepa said:

Softball is strange. I follow them on Twitter and some days it seems like they play 5 games. 

Once I started following, the game moves so much faster and way more interesting with the strategies etc than I could have realized.  Those girls play hard too. A lot of fun. 

Multiple Miami players said in their press conference that they’ve seen great teams all year and weren’t particularly impressed with Auburn. They got asked about Jabari (and his dunk ad nauseam) and the beat writers kept referring to our All-Americans and asking how they can be stopped. These guys were ready and they talked the talk and walked the walk. That was dominating and they looked much better in every phase including coaching and scheme. We were fortunate it was as close as it was at halftime quite frankly. We were simply outclassed tonight. Back to the drawing board.