The Takeover of America's Legal System

AUFAN78

Like the institutional capture of Medicine, Hollywood and Education, what happens when the country's legal system follows suit?  

A fascinating read on the ever changing legal system in America and how it is at risk of becoming a totalitarian nightmare.

https://bariweiss.substack.com/p/the-takeover-of-americas-legal-system?s=w

20 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

Like the institutional capture of Medicine, Hollywood and Education, what happens when the country's legal system follows suit?  

A fascinating read on the ever changing legal system in America and how it is at risk of becoming a totalitarian nightmare.

https://bariweiss.substack.com/p/the-takeover-of-americas-legal-system?s=w

I am in agreement with the first half of that piece.  The below is where he lost me.

As of last month, the American Bar Association is requiring all accredited law schools to “provide education to law students on bias, cross-cultural competency, and racism,” both at the start of law school and “at least once again before graduation.” That’s in addition to a mandatory legal ethics class, which must now instruct students that they have a duty as lawyers to “eliminate racism.” (The American Bar Association, which accredits almost every law school in the United States, voted 348 to 17 to adopt the new standard.)

The above is not Critical Race Theory (CRT). 

Starting this Fall, Georgetown Law School will require all students to take a class “on the importance of questioning the law’s neutrality” and assessing its “differential effects on subordinated groups,”   This isn't CRT either.

I have never heard a law student make an argument that the U.S. Constitution should be scrapped.  Is there intolerance on the left?  Absolutely and it should be addressed.  However, I completely reject the notion that law school professors are terrified to discuss current events, both convictions and acquittals.  I have spoken to classes at Tulane and Emory concerning the real problems being unearthed by events like the Breonna Taylor police shooting in Louisville, Kentucky.  Our discussion was less about race and more about police procedure.  I pointed out that the results would have likely been the same regardless of the race of BT.

The problem in that case was the warrant process.  The officers executing the warrant were not the officers that applied for the no knock warrant.  Those officers got to work and their job was to execute the warrant.  When they did so, they were fired at by the occupant and they returned fire.  Our discussion centered around the reality that the person in the home did what many other people would do if someone came barrelling into their home.  There was valid discussion about the number of no knock warrants authorized in black neighborhoods as compared to white neighborhoods, but at no time did I feel restrained from having an open discussion.

I believe that it is beyond disingenuous to argue that there has been an institutional capture of the field of medicine.  As a country, we made the decision long ago that people should be given basic medical treatment regardless of their ability to pay.  Every other civilized nation on earth has concluded the same.  The arguments have been over who gets what and which special interests feed more and more from the public trough of unlimited cash.

• Thanks 2

As I type the above, I hear Lindsey Graham's grilling of the current Supreme Court nominee.  Guess what he is doing?  He is questioning why she would represent a detainee at Guantanamo Bay being held by the government.  He knows why and he respects her for it, but he puts on a dog and pony show for those that want to pretend that doing so is somehow un American.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AU9377 said:

As I type the above, I hear Lindsey Graham's grilling of the current Supreme Court nominee.  Guess what he is doing?  He is questioning why she would represent a detainee at Guantanamo Bay being held by the government.  He knows why and he respects her for it, but he puts on a dog and pony show for those that want to pretend that doing so is somehow un American.

That's what Graham does....and has done for way too long. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, AU9377 said:

It's Kabuki theater specifically designed to implant memes for Fox and other right wing sources to propagate. An attack on the truth is an attack on our democracy.

It's way past time for rational Republicans to speak out against this sort of nonsense.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, homersapien said:

It's Kabuki theater specifically designed to implant memes for Fox and other right wing sources to propagate. An attack on the truth is an attack on our democracy.

It's way past time for rational Republicans to speak out against this sort of nonsense.

And then camera's caught Cruz sitting in the hearing after his ranting and raving checking his Twitter mentions to see what people are saying about his performance. 

For Republicans the primary goal here isn't to vet a potential Supreme Court pick, it's to put on a show for Fox News viewers, fight culture war battles, and complain about their own personal grievances. The once greatest Democracy in the world is in pitiful shape right now. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

And then camera's caught Cruz sitting in the hearing after his ranting and raving checking his Twitter mentions to see what people are saying about his performance. 

For Republicans the primary goal here isn't to vet a potential Supreme Court pick, it's to put on a show for Fox News viewers, fight culture war battles, and complain about their own personal grievances. The once greatest Democracy in the world is in pitiful shape right now. 

Same general genre as Adam Schiff stopping testimony (for a bathroom break) and going on live TV to tell the nation what testimony had just been given. Of course he did not do the same for other testimony and he did not allow cross examinations.  Very similar but goose gander. We agree on that right?

21 hours ago, jj3jordan said:

Same general genre as Adam Schiff stopping testimony (for a bathroom break) and going on live TV to tell the nation what testimony had just been given. Of course he did not do the same for other testimony and he did not allow cross examinations.  Very similar but goose gander. We agree on that right?

If you are talking about the initial impeachment hearings in the House, it is important to keep in mind that those proceedings work in a similar manner as grand jury proceedings.  There is no cross examination in grand jury proceedings.  The reality is that those testifying were almost all members of the Trump administration.  If anything, their testimony was going against self interest.

• Dislike 1

On 3/24/2022 at 11:37 AM, CoffeeTiger said:

I'll be the first to admit that an element of their questioning is a result of some of the behavior of the far left during the Kavanaugh hearings.  However, it is difficult for the far right to complain about decorum when they disregarded all decorum by not giving Pres. Obama's pick for an empty seat on the court the courtesy of a hearing and vote.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1