Dee Davis Transfer Portal

WFE12

I do hope DD finds the right fit with a coach that is able to maximize his talent at the next level. Still don’t get why these guys run to Gus other than he is very personable. Definitely would be nice to see him at Liberty 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

No, he really wouldn't have. 

Elite players make bad offenses look great.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Definitely would be nice to see him at Liberty 

I don't think he currently has the skill set to go to a pass heavy/pass first offense.  He's inaccurate & struggles against air.

Lots of talk that he'd head to TCU this winter.  Apparently has a bunch of former HS teammates there.

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1

Stidham threw for 3200yds, 67% comp, nearly 9ypa in Gus's offense.  Stidham can't hold water to Marino and IIRC overthrew or mis-threw countless deep passes.  That's probably the "best" passer Gus had at Auburn.

Dan Marino would have thrown for nearly 5000 yards in that offense in 2017.

This isn't capping for Gus, elite QBs make everyone look better.  Look at Brady in New England.  Constantly dominating with subpar WR talent b/c he's so good/makes reads so fast/throws players open.  An elite passer would do that for Gus & his meh offense.

Dan isn't running the read option, but Gus didn't try to turn that at after 2014

Edited by W.E.D

14 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

He would've made it look better, no doubt. But consider that Gus had Jarrett freaking Stidham and still only let him throw screen passes and verts. He would've done the same thing to a college-aged Marino. The offense would have been neither "amazing" nor "great". 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Stidham threw for 3200yds, 67% comp, nearly 9ypa in Gus's offense.  Stidham can't hold water to Marino and IIRC overthrew or mis-threw countless deep passes.  That's probably the "best" passer Gus had at Auburn.

Dan Marino would have thrown for nearly 5000 yards in that offense in 2017.

This isn't capping for Gus, elite QBs make everyone look better.  Look at Brady in New England.  Constantly dominating with subpar WR talent b/c he's so good/makes reads so fast/throws players open.  An elite passer would do that for Gus & his meh offense.

Dan isn't running the read option, but Gus didn't try to turn that at after 2014

You should probably have looked up Marino's college stats.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/dan-marino-1.html

• Haha 1

Just now, McLoofus said:

He would've made it look better, no doubt. But consider that Gus had Jarrett freaking Stidham and still only let him throw screen passes and verts. He would've done the same thing to a college-aged Marino. The offense would have been neither "amazing" nor "great". 

Comparing Stidham to an NFL legend and HOFer and thinking they are anywhere close to similar is kinda silly.  One is an average at best college QB, the other is one of the greatest QBs to ever play the game.

Stidham is one of a thousand average college QBs.  There is no "freaking" description that needs to be added to his name for recognition.

• Like 1

Just now, McLoofus said:

You should probably have looked up Marino's college stats.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/dan-marino-1.html

Are we going to really pretend offenses, especially in college, in the 80s are anything like they are today?

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Comparing Stidham to an NFL legend and HOFer and thinking they are anywhere close to similar is kinda silly.  One is an average at best college QB, the other is one of the greatest QBs to ever play the game.

Stidham is one of a thousand average college QBs.  There is no "freaking" description that needs to be added to his name for recognition.

Okay, you're going full stupid here. I'm out. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Okay, you're going full stupid here. I'm out. 

Ha, I'm stupid here disagreeing "freaking" Stidham is essentially Dan Marino and there would be little lift replacing him with one of the greatest passing QBs to play football.

Gotcha

2 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Gus's evaluation skills at QB were absolutely horrendous.

I know we criticize his inability to recruit OL, but QB is equal or worse.  8 years, 0 HS QBs developed.  Even adding the 3 years he was OC, only 1 QB from HS.  Kheil Fraizer 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Especially doing the whirly-bird!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Ha, I'm stupid here disagreeing "freaking" Stidham is essentially Dan Marino and there would be little lift replacing him with one of the greatest passing QBs to play football.

Gotcha

No, that's not why you're stupid.

You're stupid because you equated a 4th-round draft pick to "a thousand" "average college QBs". That is a very stupid thing that you said. Especially since Stidham is still employed as an NFL QB. Soooo average. 

You're stupid because you said that Marino could make a bad offense look "amazing", and then said that his college stats shouldn't be considered because... those offenses were... bad? Very, very stupid of you to say that the offense doesn't matter and then say that it does.

You're stupid because Jim McMahon put up far, far better stats in college at the exact same time that Marino was playing in college. I guess that means Jim McMahon was also a better NFL QB than Marino was? Or did he use a time machine, since offenses of that era were incapable of producing gaudy college stats? 

Mainly you're stupid because you'd rather keep digging your dumbass hole than acknowledge that someone else has a good- even if contradictory- point. This is why I quit interacting with you for a long time. This is why many people have taken issue with how your conduct yourself on here. It's not an all of us thing. It's a you thing. And it's stupid. It's a shame, because you have great opinions on most things that actually matter. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I would like to ask this:  What number of players transferring out do we start to become legitimately concerned?  Out of all of the coaches who took over a program at the same time as Harsin, Auburn leads in players transferring out.  Ro Torrence has also left, which many thought was a real talent before his injury.  We are having trouble filling out a legitimate two-deep roster for this upcoming season as it is.

I've said that I wouldn't be concerned unless we see a bunch of this staff's guys leave. Thus, Ro Torrence and Dreshun Miller are concerning. A lot of the transfers they brought in last year did well, but the two CB's with arguably the most hype flamed out. Not sure if Mason or Etheridge was in charge of DB eval's, but hopefully we improved on our DB eval's this class

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

This is the trap I tried to warn folks not to fall into with John Franklin III. There's no guarantee that Davis's mobility would have made him a better overall quarterback than anyone else on roster at any point in the season. 

Totally get it and we can both debate all day. I agree and disagree . It’s just hard to believe TJ was that much better. I don’t know if he was or not because AU was such a poor offensive team on all fronts except RB. Some many variables. not you, but some think the QB room last year was good . It was flat out bad and DD still got zero time. That’s what I can’t wrap my head around . No argument here. Last year sucked period . 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You're stupid because you equated a 4th-round draft pick to "a thousand" "average college QBs". That is a very stupid thing that you said. Especially since Stidham is still employed as an NFL QB. Soooo average. 

Ok, so hundred?  

Stidham isn't awful.  He's just not in the same world/abilities as one of the best QBs and one of the most prolific passers to ever play football.

You're stupid because Jim McMahon put up far, far better stats in college at the exact same time that Marino was playing in college. I guess that means Jim McMahon was also a better NFL QB than Marino was?

Not sure why you need to attempt to make up arguments that I haven't even stated.  But OK.  Weird

Mainly you're stupid because you'd rather keep digging your dumbass hole than acknowledge that someone else has a good- even if contradictory- point.

You don't think Dan Marino would have made Gus's offense look amazing, when we see an OK player make Gus's offense look good.  Add in a much better QB than Jarrett "freaking" Stidahm, an already good offense is going to be much much much better.

Edited by W.E.D

3 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Ok, so hundred?  

Stidham isn't awful.  He's just not in the same world/abilities as one of the best QBs and one of the most prolific passers to ever play football.

Nor did I ever suggest such.

It's fine to just acknowledge that an elite quarterback can't necessarily make a bad passing offense look "amazing", and that that Dee Davis might be successful in an offense other than Harsin's. 

19 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

Wonder what Freeze can do with him…or maybe UCF with Gus 🤷🏽‍♂️

i am hoping he hooks up with Liberty myself and was looking to see if any others thought like me.

10 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

some think the QB room last year was good

That's so wild. I can't even imagine how one arrives at that conclusion.

My theory on how things shook out last year is that Harsin had extremely limited opportunity to get a 3rd QB ready. Clearly Nix was still very much a work in progress, and Finley even more so. 

The big asterisk to that theory is the bowl game. I'm not sure why we didn't see Davis in the bowl game, but the answer to that question could completely submarine my theory about the rest. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Nor did I ever suggest such.

It's fine to just acknowledge that an elite quarterback can't necessarily make a bad passing offense look "amazing", and that that Dee Davis might be successful in an offense other than Harsin's. 

We weren't a "bad" passing offense when Gus has his best pure passer during his tenure at Auburn.

Dee Davis can probably succeed in an offense that doesn't rely on a passing QB or at a much lower level than the SEC

I wonder how close he was to transferring the past each time rumors came up.  Those circulated twitter and had to be at least something there, but he called ppl out for making stuff up.  Now he's gone a week into practice.  Probably was on the fence this winter.  Wonder if anyone convinced him to stay, then we took 2 QBs.

49 minutes ago, au302 said:

I've said that I wouldn't be concerned unless we see a bunch of this staff's guys leave. Thus, Ro Torrence and Dreshun Miller are concerning. A lot of the transfers they brought in last year did well, but the two CB's with arguably the most hype flamed out. Not sure if Mason or Etheridge was in charge of DB eval's, but hopefully we improved on our DB eval's this class

Almost all of our DB evaluations were bad last year.  Kaufman wasn't that great either.

• Like 2