You're Bruce Pearl... What's the plan?

Zeek

I think we have holes all over the place at this point. I'm putting each players class as if it were next season.

K.D. Johnson (JR) - I love his energy but he is no PG with his hero ball and poor handling at times. He is tough going to the rim and streaky as a SG. If he is our SG then 12.3 PPG doesn't cut it especially with only 38% from three point range. If we're wanting to compete for championships we need a better starting SG.

Wendell Green Jr. (JR) - his 5.1 assists per game has him tied for 35th in the nation. Can't complain about that. His 36% FG percentage isn't exciting though and his 31.7% from three isn't inspiring. I think he can still run the point as our starter and provide valuable play but he has to become a better scoring threat. His 5'11" 175 lbs frame isn't super effective against bigger guards.

Jaylin Williams (SR) - quality backup player that impressed at times. His defense, rebounding, and ability to score in the paint make him incredibly valuable coming off the bench.

Chris Moore (JR) - barely played this season.

Jabari Smith - leaving for the NBA

Zep Jasper (Super Senior) - if he uses his extra year of eligibility he adds value but not as much as some think. He only shot 35.2% from the field and averaged just 2.1 assists per game. 

Walker Kessler - likely leaving for the NBA

Allen Flanigan (SR) - assuming her returns, which seems to be the only smart move, he just didn't have any noticeable impact this year. If he can return to 2020-21 form he adds value but ideally isn't a starter.

Babatunde Akingbola (SR) - didn't play any meaningful minutes this season.

Devan Cambridge (SR ) - is an absolute liability most of the time when on the court. The number of times he has turned the ball over then committed a foul and missed wide open 3s is just astounding. When he's simply rebounding and dunking he is great but there is an insistence to shoot the three. Shot just 22% from the three point range.

Dylan Cardwell (JR) - incredibly valuable as the backup center on a good team. Brings energy and effort to the court but he's not a phenomenal scorer.

To be honest we have to replace two All-Americans (Bari and Walker) while also having a group of guys that would ideally be coming off the bench. I love Zep/Wendell/KD but objectively they're not getting it done and this team needs a deep threat in the worst kind of way.

We're bringing in PG Tre Donaldson (who might not play this year according to some) and SF Chance Westry (who some don't think will be ready to start).

Desperately need a C/PF and ideally at least one guard with deadly shooting from 3.

I'll give it a stab....i'll also say i expect things to look a lot different this time next year. Hope we don't always see lots of rooster turnover but seems to be how things are going. 

AT the 1 and 2 guard spots: Zep (already said he is coming back), Green, Donaldson, Westry, and KD. I like this group....Green is another year older and maybe another year at D1 gets Zep more comfortable. WIth those 2 playing PG Donaldson can come along slowly and play some 2 guard. KD can possibly start at 2 and we have Westry to come off the bench for more scoring. But he does not have to start straight away with KD here. 

At 3....not sure.....i would like to see a transfer come in. We have Flan and Cambridge.....i think Flan can be starter material. I would feel a little exposed though based on this years performance. I'm not sure Cambridge is a great option going forward. His game does not seem to be expanding and his shooting is just way too streaky. But I think we can survive with those 2. Westry could also give us some time at this spot. I really don't know anything about signees until they get here and i see them play. 

At 4 we'll have Jaylin and looks like Traore dude. He compared himself to Jabari so i'll assume he'll play 4. I think this is a good duo of experience and talent. I have been hesitant with Jaylin as a starter but BP comments after the tourney exit seems to say he does see Jabari as a starter in SEC. 

At 5 i think we'll need a transfer to go with Cardwell. 

• Like 1

Even with blue-chipper Traore and maybe some other 5-star talent (Elijah Fisher?) + Westry and maybe 1-2 solid transfers: I think we still need to sign a new PG - we really need to upgrade here. I don’t think WG could lead us to a Final4… he will be more experienced and maybe Sweet16 or even Elite8 might be possible but I don’t see a F4 run.

SEC will be tougher next year: Tennessee should be the top favorite and Alabama and Arkansas signed some top 5-star talent (they are not done yet) + Kentucky is always a force.

Edited by AUreo

@Zeek Your years are wrong for a number of guys. Remember the 2020-21 season does not count on the eligibility clock. Should be

KD-Super Soph
WGJ-Super Soph
J-Will Super JR
C-Mo Super Soph
Flan-Super JR
Stretch-Super JR
Cambridge-Super JR
Cardwell-Super Soph

• Like 1

I think Donaldson gives us another option at PG. I have not heard anything about not playing BBall this year it is football he won't play this year and maybe never.  With Zep and Green we are ok at 1. Until I see Donaldson play in college can't say we will be better at 1. Westry, KD and Green we are as good as this year but probably better with Westry just because of his size.  I am assuming Flanigan and Westry at 3. I would say better because Flanigan is improving and Westry will be better then Cambridge. Assuming we get Traore with Williams we will be good at 4 but not as good as with Jabari.  Cardwell is only real Center unless we pick up somebody in Portal so we won't be as good.

I am not counting Moore and Stretch as I think they hit Portal like Cambridge.  I think Cook is gone also or al least not on scholarship.  that should give us 4 or 5 scholarships but 2 will be for Donaldson and Westry.  That would allow us to pick up Traore and at least 2 more players. There has been talk about Phillips he would fit nicely as PF/SF with Traore and Williams both playing some 5.  After that I want he sharp shooting SG who is no less than 6'3" but preferably a little taller and who has a mid range game.

We really don't have anybody who has a mid range game.   

58 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I think Donaldson gives us another option at PG. I have not heard anything about not playing BBall this year it is football he won't play this year and maybe never.  With Zep and Green we are ok at 1. Until I see Donaldson play in college can't say we will be better at 1. Westry, KD and Green we are as good as this year but probably better with Westry just because of his size.  I am assuming Flanigan and Westry at 3. I would say better because Flanigan is improving and Westry will be better then Cambridge. Assuming we get Traore with Williams we will be good at 4 but not as good as with Jabari.  Cardwell is only real Center unless we pick up somebody in Portal so we won't be as good.

I am not counting Moore and Stretch as I think they hit Portal like Cambridge.  I think Cook is gone also or al least not on scholarship.  that should give us 4 or 5 scholarships but 2 will be for Donaldson and Westry.  That would allow us to pick up Traore and at least 2 more players. There has been talk about Phillips he would fit nicely as PF/SF with Traore and Williams both playing some 5.  After that I want he sharp shooting SG who is no less than 6'3" but preferably a little taller and who has a mid range game.

We really don't have anybody who has a mid range game.   

I don’t think Donaldson can do less with being a playmaker for others than Zep, but I get that thought process. I feel like they’d have Traore at the 5 right now if the season started, just bc Jaylin is a better player than Dylan. Yohan can definitely work as a center on this level, especially if his outside game keeps working 

Kessler needs to stay and work on his game. He looked shell shocked against smaller experienced players. He's not ready for the NBA yet. It's not just skills either. 

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Kessler needs to stay and work on his game. He looked shell shocked against smaller experienced players. He's not ready for the NBA yet. It's not just skills either. 

He's likely still a 1st round pick. Barring him doing bad enough at the combine to plummet his stock the financial safe play would be to capitalize on the 1st round projection he has earned for himself now.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

PG - Zep Jasper (starter), Wendell Green (back-up), Tre Donaldson (redshirt)

SG - Chance Westry (starter), KD Johnson (back-up)

SF - New Addition (hopefully Julian Phillips or 2023 big-time reclass), Allen Flanagan (back-up)

PF - Yohan Traore (starter), Jaylin Williams (back-up)

C - Walker Kessler (starter), Dylan Cardwell (back-up)

That gives us 11 if Kessler stays. I would upgrade the 3 and bring Allen off the bench until he gets his form back. I would bring KD off the bench at the 2 as a high energy guy / instant offense guy (just like Wendell). 

If Kessler doesn’t stay, I would move a Traore to the 5 and try to bring in someone like Kobe Brown at the 4. I would likely add another shooter wherever I could to get to 12.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

PG - Zep Jasper (starter), Wendell Green (back-up), Tre Donaldson (redshirt)

SG - Chance Westry (starter), KD Johnson (back-up)

SF - New Addition (hopefully Julian Phillips or 2023 big-time reclass), Allen Flanagan (back-up)

PF - Yohan Traore (starter), Jaylin Williams (back-up)

C - Walker Kessler (starter), Dylan Cardwell (back-up)

That gives us 11 if Kessler stays. I would upgrade the 3 and bring Allen off the bench until he gets his form back. I would bring KD off the bench at the 2 as a high energy guy / instant offense guy (just like Wendell). 

If Kessler doesn’t stay, I would move a Traore to the 5 and try to bring in someone like Kobe Brown at the 4. I would likely add another shooter wherever I could to get to 12.

I want a 6th man assassin shooter.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I think Donaldson gives us another option at PG. I have not heard anything about not playing BBall this year it is football he won't play this year and maybe never.  With Zep and Green we are ok at 1. Until I see Donaldson play in college can't say we will be better at 1. 

I don’t think we are ok at all with Zep and Green at the point. I’m not sure how many of the big time programs these guys would even start for matter of fact. We’ve already seen that show and even if you give some credit for off-season improvement/experience, the existing deficiencies are still there and they are glaring. We couldn’t win this year down the stretch without great guard play and we sure won’t be able to next year. Need the right portal transfer big time. 

• Like 1

If I were Bruce, I'd have AUBP23 LLC. Create a NIL package for Bari and Kessler to keep them here another year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

If I were Bruce, I'd have AUBP23 LLC. Create a NIL package for Bari and Kessler to keep them here another year.

I don’t know what that is but I agree completely. 😂

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, AUBwins said:

I want a 6th man assassin shooter.

I actually love the idea of KD as the spark plug 6th man. So does Bruce & that's why he's looking for a more consistent G to be a starter.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

I don’t think we are ok at all with Zep and Green at the point. I’m not sure how many of the big time programs these guys would even start for matter of fact.

I do. A couple of things. As arguably the best on ball defeding PG in the nation Zep would start for a lot of teams.  On Green, don'tforget he was one of the assist leaders in the nation as a freshman before transferring to AU. He can evolve to be a better PG than he was for us this year just like Jared Harper evolved.

We’ve already seen that show and even if you give some credit for off-season improvement/experience, the existing deficiencies are still there and they are glaring.

Depends how much they evolve. For example, if WG's decision making improves I think that fixes his only glaring weakness.

Need the right portal transfer big time. 

Or the right improvements from some current players.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I actually love the idea of KD as the spark plug 6th man. So does Bruce & that's why he's looking for a more consistent G to be a starter.

I just want a guy that's not going to stay on bench.  Someone in the rotation that can hit 3s with good accuracy.  He doesn't have to be the first guy off. 

• Like 1

@ellitor, just wanted to let you know that I've missed you around here. It's good to see you occasionally. Hope life is going well.

53 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I just want a guy that's not going to stay on bench.  Someone in the rotation that can hit 3s with good accuracy.  He doesn't have to be the first guy off. 

I think that was the plan for Powell

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I think that was the plan for Powell

Perhaps Lior could be that dude the upcoming season. He seems to have a good shot. If he can improve laterally (defense) a little more, I think he’d be a serviceable substitute to bring in for quality minutes. 

The plan is change(s).  We didn't just loose the game; it was our worse loss of the year.  The team and coaching staff looked loss in the back half of the 2nd half when they probably realized they are not going to close the gap - nothing was working to get them back in the game.  

Changes will probably be hard for some of the returning members of the team.  It will be dependent on who is coming in.  If we get some transfer portal guards with experience, they may get the starting nod by beginning of next season.  I should say all positions will have to be looked at.  

Then with all the new faces in place and some time to see how different combinations look on the floor, the Coach will finalize the plan for the team.  Before he does all of that, I hope he rewatches all of our losses including the last one.  There were too many similarities to our losses late in the season to just be ignored going into next season.  I love the heart of all the players, but even they need to face the reality of their strengths and weaknesses - put the best players on the starting line (not the ones you have a soft spot for).

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

I do. A couple of things. As arguably the best on ball defeding PG in the nation Zep would start for a lot of teams.  On Green, don'tforget he was one of the assist leaders in the nation as a freshman before transferring to AU. He can evolve to be a better PG than he was for us this year just like Jared Harper evolved.

Depends how much they evolve. For example, if WG's decision making improves I think that fixes his only glaring weakness.

Or the right improvements from some current players.

We shall see I guess as what Bruce does will be telling. I’ll stick to my original statement for now. 

3 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Why not be the starter though?

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Why not be the starter though?

That works too. Lol point is I want 3 pointers to go in consistently.  I don't care who makes them haha