Harsh criticism of Bruce and our guards

aubiefifty

take it with a grain of salt. i am as big a fan of coach pearl as anyone. I do however feel everyone deserves to hear it all to include Auburn fans. also this seems to have been discussed on the fam altho not quite as harsh.

I was hoping someone else would one day hear the Ringer’s opinions on Auburn lol. Bill Simmons, Ryen Rusillo and this gaggle of fellas have maintained that opinion about our guards before this game, to give some context! 

And they’re not really wrong to be fair. If you did watch the average Auburn game, even when we were good, you would think our guards had an actual allergy to getting Jabari involved sometimes. The NBA fan in me hates watching them sometimes, but the college viewer understands that some guys like that just exist on this level. College works for some people because a KD can have as much impact as a Jabari for a game. 

You can ask yourself whether or not that should be the case if you’re optimizing both talents to their best, but we’ll just ignore that 😂. But I do agree @aubiefiftythese are good perspectives to see. In both sports it’s good to have unbiased and professional perspectives on our teams, but I don’t think some of us as a fanbase know where to find them yet. I just found that Titus and Tate pod earlier this week, they did a good job of covering the R32 for anyone who’s interested  

• Like 1

Some legitimate things said there. Things we have said before about guards not feeding big men, dribbling to much. Now the comment about Bruce not being a good coach that was bogus. look at the team that went to final for and would have been in the final if the ref could call double dribble. That was after losing his best player that was great coaching. With last years Flanigan that would have changed dynamic drastically. since Bruce has been our coach good to great guard play has been our forte, this year he didn't have the quality guards he had in the past and I do think he needed to keep them more on the leash on shot selection because unlike Brown and Harper they were not great shooters. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I will say this about CBP.  He can get some talented players to sign.  He is a great motivator and recruiter.   I do not believe he is the best X’s and O’s Coach. He doesn’t seem to have a system offense and seems to just let his players play the way want sometimes.   I wish he would implement some Davidson and Princeton style offense on occasion instead of isolating the point guard with the pick and role so much.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I’m fine with some valid criticisms, you’d have to be a big O & B koolaid drinker to not acknowledge a couple issues. What team can’t say that?? I do think Bruce can run some folks the wrong way and they look to nitpick things too much. 

The criticism was a bit too harsh all the way around, but not by much for the guards.  None of our guards are true starters, in my opinion.

And while BP is a great program builder and a good coach, he got out-coached really bad in the NCAA Tourney against Miami.  He just couldn't make any helpful adjustments when his initial game plan proved futile.  And he looked bewildered on the sidelines as the game got away in the 2nd half.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MaxCohen216 said:

The criticism was a bit too harsh all the way around, but not by much for the guards.  None of our guards are true starters, in my opinion.

And while BP is a great program builder and a good coach, he got out-coached really bad in the NCAA Tourney against Miami.  He just couldn't make any helpful adjustments when his initial game plan proved futile.  

OK, I'll play devil's advocate. If you have proved that you can beat everyone ( including the Virginia  double dribble no call game that I will never believe we lost ) with superior guard play, perhaps you did your best coaching job with sub par guards that couldn't compete with superior guard play. Maybe you didn't have a plan B cause against superior guards who could shoot, play D,  and distribute the ball, you didn't have the talent that it takes to move further in the tourney. Everyone from Coach K to Cal says you have to have superior guard play to go deep in the tournament. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't know any coach that wouldn't redo something after a tight game that you lose. Especially basketball. Things happen fast. I enjoyed the video, even if I didn't agree with some of it. Just don't believe Bruce forgot how to coach in a year, and a Georgia writer that used to do Tennessee basketball swears Bruce is a great Xs and Os guy. I admit I didn't see it last game, though. 

Edited by JuscAUse!
  • Like 1