Devin Cambridge Enters Transfer Portal

Maverick.AU

Always loved his effort and his ability to make the electric play. Just could never get his shot together. Wish him the best of luck, he's a hell of an athlete.

Edited by Maverick.AU
  • Like 5

If we can get the right player in his place this is good. I know his shot was not great but he was a solid defender worked the boards, ran hard and hustled that is a good backup player. I will miss him but wish him the best wherever he ends up. 

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 2

Auburn basketball’s Devan Cambridge enters transfer portal

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com
3-4 minutes

Four days after Auburn’s dream season ended in the second round of the NCAA Tournament, the Tigers lost one of their most experienced rotation pieces.

Junior swingman Devan Cambridge announced Thursday that he intends to transfer from Auburn. Cambridge still has two years of eligibility at his disposal, thanks to the NCAA’s free year granted to players due to the pandemic.

Read more Auburn hoops: Bruce Pearl eager to “build it back”: A look at Auburn’s potential 2022-23 roster

Revisiting the top moments from Auburn’s historic season

“More than basketball”: Auburn treasures bond of historic team after NCAA Tournament loss

“First and foremost I would like to thank the man himself, Bruce Pearl, and the coaching staff for giving me the opportunity of a lifetime,” Cambridge wrote in a post on Instagram. “Also, I would like to thank my Auburn family for the unconditional love you have given me for three years. #WarDamnEagle. Since my first season as an Auburn Tigers, we’ve made history, and nobody will ever be able to take that away from me. This place I call home has made me into a better man, student, athlete, and I will always cherish that for life.

“No matter how hard it may be for me to leave everything we have created together, things have to end for a new beginning to form. With that being said, I will be entering the transfer portal.”

Cambridge appeared in 33 of Auburn’s 34 games this season and made 14 starts, stepping into the starting role at small forward early in the season while Allen Flanigan made his way back from a preseason Achilles injury. He averaged 5.3 points and 3.6 rebounds while playing 19.5 minutes per game for Auburn, which climbed to No. 1 in the AP poll in late January and went wire-to-wire as SEC regular-season champion.

After shooting 34.2 percent from beyond the arc as a freshman, Cambridge’s 3-point shooting plummeted over the last two seasons. He shot 28.7 percent on 5.3 attempts per game as a sophomore, while his junior campaign saw him shoot 22.1 percent on 2.6 attempts per game. While his perimeter shooting fell off as his career progressed, Cambridge developed into a quality defender and one of the team’s best offensive rebounders. He averaged 1.7 offensive rebounds per game and posted an offensive rebound rate of 9.2 percent.

He finishes his Auburn career averaging six points and 3.1 rebounds across 91 games.

Cambridge’s decision to enter the transfer portal comes less than 24 hours after his brother, Desmond Cambridge, entered his name into the portal. Desmond Cambridge was a starter at Nevada and averaged 16.2 points and 5.1 rebounds per game this season. The two could feasibly team up for their senior seasons.

Devan Cambridge is the first Auburn player to leave the program this offseason, with decisions looming for several other players, including potential No. 1 overall pick Jabari Smith, who was noncommittal about his future on Sunday, and potential first-rounder Walker Kessler.

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

I’ve really enjoyed watching him play the last 3 seasons. I hope he finds a great landing spot, keeps improving his game and gets a chance to play ball professionally. War Eagle Devan!!

• Like 1

Great character, great defender, held it down when Flan was out. Hope him and brother have a bucket of fun together, that’s a once in a lifetime opportunity. 

Glad Pearl is gonna be forced to give Westry extended minutes now!!

• Like 6

I think he can be replaced. But he was outstanding at times. And then pedestrian at times. If his shot was a bit more solid, I think he could have been a guy that you hate to see leave the floor.  I was hoping he would bring it all together next season. And he may, just not for AU.

I wish him the best with his brother. Opportunities to play together are few and far between in the sports world.

• Like 1

We absolutely would have lost games without his offensive rebounding. Appreciate the 3 years he gave to Auburn but I think he and the coaching staff knew that it was best for him to go to another school. This also gives him the opportunity to play with his older brother who entered the transfer portal earlier this week.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

@tigeraddiktDude show some damn class & tact. Next time just say good move for both parties & move on.

Dude, why don’t you lay off. I found “Bounceman Out” to be hokey and self-aggrandizing. But I’m thrilled to now know how to react and what to say “next time.” I appreciated his efforts as a player, but he obviously wasn’t worth a scholarship anymore. And while I’m at it, I appreciate YOU changing my thread title from “How the Roster will be Processed,” and claiming that “Bruce doesn’t process players.” My ass. DC just got processed. Call it what you want. 

4 hours ago, WarTiger said:

post less

2 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

Dude, why don’t you lay off. I found “Bounceman Out” to be hokey and self-aggrandizing. But I’m thrilled to now know how to react and what to say “next time.” I appreciated his efforts as a player, but he obviously wasn’t worth a scholarship anymore. And while I’m at it, I appreciate YOU changing my thread title from “How the Roster will be Processed,” and claiming that “Bruce doesn’t process players.” My ass. DC just got processed. Call it what you want. 

Here's the thing bro, bounceman had nothing to do with his shot, he was an extremely good cutter to the rim and a highlight reel waiting to happen bc of it. Not a single person here is happy with how he has shot the 3 the past 2 years but with the amount of effort he has given to this program,, he deserves respect on his way out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

I'm sad to see him go. All out effort and hustle. He rolled his sleeves up and did a lot of the dirty work. He humbly embraced that role for the team. Auburn won a lot of games while he started in place of Flanigan. Team player all the way. And I'll never forget his monster 21 point effort (7-10 from 3) in that magnificent 91-90 OT win against LSU in 2020 as a freshman. Good luck to him.

11 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

Dude, why don’t you lay off.

Because you disrespected one of our former players, one who despite his weaknesses, busted his ass night in & night out for our team. Anytime you disrespect our players with something childish like Brickman Out I will call you out & chastize you on it.

11 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

DC just got processed.

Wrong! Per Hoke, DC was already frustrated with how things were going & left on his own to look for a better sitch & more PT.

• Like 4