2022 Transfer Portal Thread

ellitor

So Far AU has contacted SC SG Erik Stevenson & LSU SG Brandon Murray.

Looks like we are in the market for a SG early.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

So Far AU has contacted SC SG Erik Stevenson & LSU SG Brandon Murray.

Looks like we are in the market for a SG early.

I wonder if that means that Bruce sees Westry as a 3 then.

28 minutes ago, AUlurker said:

Possibly but I think it means more that he wants an established consistent 2G so KD can be a 6th man.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AUlurker said:

Stevenson's shooting %s are worse than all our other 3 guards. Don't want him. I do like Murray from LsU...

6 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Stevenson's shooting %s are worse than all our other 3 guards

That's because he was very cold from downtown early in the season. From that point on he easily outshot our guards.

10 hours ago, AUGoo said:

Please find us someone who can hit a jump shot!

And one that knows how to fake an long outside shot while being guarded, dribbles a couple times inside and then takes a more high % jump shot. 

I see that many times from good guards in the tournament. 
but our guys simply jack it up all the time from long range. 

Never understood why guards don’t make that a major part of their shooting game. 

• Love 1

We need a complete SG. Good defender, Good rebounder for the position, solid 3 shot ability to penetrate and pull up for a shot and ability to penetrate and go to rack. The problem is everybody wants that guy. So if we can't get the perfect guy I want a 4 year player who adds to his game every year. Another Bryce Brown type a little short for SG with a nice stroke, an ok handle not a great handle, worked hard on defense and not afraid to rebound.  He improved his outside shot every year, he improved his handle, he started going to the rack and he added a pull up jumper.  He worked his butt off to get better.  He became a player you could rely on during crunch time, who could get himself open in multiple ways and became good enough to be a fringe NBA player.  To be good enough to be a fringe NBA player you have to be really good.

Everything Cole said about Bryce's limitations was true but how he overcame those limitations and became the player he is was awe inspiring.

41 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Everyone should be contacting this guy.

I also read he is looking at NBA pre-draft process. I would contact him but some risk if he commits and goes Pro. I am not sure how that works with a Portal player if has not actually registered and started classes.

On 3/28/2022 at 7:40 PM, AuburnNTexas said:

I also read he is looking at NBA pre-draft process. I would contact him but some risk if he commits and goes Pro. I am not sure how that works with a Portal player if has not actually registered and started classes.

Commitments are non-binding at any level. Nothing is signed.

35 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Commitments are non-binding at any level. Nothing is signed.

Thank you

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

@cole256 just got really excited!   He’s been wanting this dude forever!   Maybe it happens this time.   We could definitely use him!!!

• Like 2

I wish we had signed him originally. I like him a lot he is class of 2020 so I think that means with Covid year he still has 3 more years. The problem is we will have a logjam at PG with Donaldson, Zep, Green and him. If we pick him up I wonder if Zep or Green would have to go. It really depends on how many players we can take in total. Right now our biggest needs are a big or 2 and a SG/SF type player a lot depends on how good Westry is especially on the shooting side and how quick Donaldson works into PG rotation. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I wish we had signed him originally. I like him a lot he is class of 2020 so I think that means with Covid year he still has 3 more years. The problem is we will have a logjam at PG with Donaldson, Zep, Green and him. If we pick him up I wonder if Zep or Green would have to go. It really depends on how many players we can take in total. Right now our biggest needs are a big or 2 and a SG/SF type player a lot depends on how good Westry is especially on the shooting side and how quick Donaldson works into PG rotation. 

With the Flex offense Auburn runs, you can play multiple point guards. In the Flex offense, define positions really don't matter.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tiger720 said:

With the Flex offense Auburn runs, you can play multiple point guards. In the Flex offense, define positions really don't matter.

That is kind of true, though our PGs have done the vast majority of the ball handling as long as Bruce has been here. I think a lot of that had to do with our 2 guards not being great at ball handling. We did run some sets this season with both Zep and Green on the floor. And also Samir did a lot of ball handling his last year. So yeah you can run multiple PGs at the same time. The problem is we are pretty full on smaller guard types. We currently have KD, Zep, and Green who are on the smaller side and about to add Donaldson (i think he is a bit taller but still....smaller guard). You don't want to overload on 1 type. Cause if we get in a matchup issue where we need more size at the 1 or 2 spot you've just ruled out the majority of the guard rotation. 

Only way i see a spot for Sears is if we lose one of Green, Zepp, or KD.

• Like 1

Mark would really upgrade us. Everything we were weak at is a strength for him. He can shoot, he's a facilitator, he can handle the ball, he can defend, he was a 90% free throw shooter which it's great for your PG to be able to close games.

He's been undervalued and he embraced it. He's been proving people wrong every step of the way. He's not scared. Would be awesome

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, gravejd said:

That is kind of true, though our PGs have done the vast majority of the ball handling as long as Bruce has been here. I think a lot of that had to do with our 2 guards not being great at ball handling. We did run some sets this season with both Zep and Green on the floor. And also Samir did a lot of ball handling his last year. So yeah you can run multiple PGs at the same time. The problem is we are pretty full on smaller guard types. We currently have KD, Zep, and Green who are on the smaller side and about to add Donaldson (i think he is a bit taller but still....smaller guard). You don't want to overload on 1 type. Cause if we get in a matchup issue where we need more size at the 1 or 2 spot you've just ruled out the majority of the guard rotation. 

Only way i see a spot for Sears is if we lose one of Green, Zepp, or KD.

If Sears wants to come, I think Auburn would take him. He shoots better than every guard that is currently on the roster. The current guards were terrible from three this current season. You can put different line ups on the floor and cause mismatches for other teams. On the defensive side, you may out matched a few possessions, but I'll take that risk.

12 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Mark would really upgrade us. Everything we were weak at is a strength for him. He can shoot, he's a facilitator, he can handle the ball, he can defend, he was a 90% free throw shooter which it's great for your PG to be able to close games.

He's been undervalued and he embraced it. He's been proving people wrong every step of the way. He's not scared. Would be awesome

I think you could be correct here. I haven't followed Sears closely but not hard to imagine him being better than Green, Zep, or KD. I just don't think he fits our roster as it stands today. But rosters change quick so you never know!

13 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I think you could be correct here. I haven't followed Sears closely but not hard to imagine him being better than Green, Zep, or KD. I just don't think he fits our roster as it stands today. But rosters change quick so you never know!

As far as playing the position of point guard it's really not close, and this was just his first year starting. He was basically all 3 of those guys in one player.. 

Either way I'm super proud of him. I remember when I first talked about him quite a few laughed at me. Said maybe he could play at a community college. Now he's regarded as the most sought after transfer guy and everybody wants him. What a difference he would have made for us if we had a true PG. 

Life can be funny, those that laugh at you could end up needing you the most. I hope he gets to the league, people need to hear his story on not giving up