2022 Transfer Portal Thread

ellitor

27 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

I read an article from Auburn wire this morning that stated if Cardwell and Flannigan return, we would have two scholarships left. I was always under the impression that we only had one more scholarship. Which is it?

"As a result, Auburn has some scholarship spots still up for grabs. Both Flanigan and Cardwell are likely to return. If that is the case, two scholarship spots remain. Today, Auburn Wire takes a look at some of the players head coach Bruce Pearl should target in the transfer portal."

Yeah I was also under the impression that we only had one left (which was for Phillips if he chose us). Can anyone shed more light on this?

1 hour ago, KansasTiger said:

I read an article from Auburn wire this morning that stated if Cardwell and Flannigan return, we would have two scholarships left. I was always under the impression that we only had one more scholarship. Which is it?

38 minutes ago, CT Tiger said:

Can anyone shed more light on this?

@KansasTiger@CT TigerUnless the writer knows someone on roster leaving or not enrolling he is not talking about then it's simple writer error. We have 8 on scholly & have 4 schollied players coming in. The max scholly roster size is 13.

Also there are a few other errors in his article. Enough to know I'm not reading his stuff again. His twitter bio says UA '24 so he's likely an outsider that don't know ish about AU Bball or AU sports in general.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://auburnwire.usatoday.com/lists/auburn-basketball-2022-transfer-portal-bruce-pearl/

Another list of transfer targets for Auburn, except only two on the list have shot well from 3. Nance eclipsed 44%, so I think we'd seriously consider him given his strengths and shooting if he doesn't stay in the draft. Teddy Allen has been decent from 3, but it sounds like he is headed elsewhere and I am not sure how he'd mesh with KD anyways.

Not sure how they came up with this list, but the rest don't seem to fit the shooter need at all. 

3 minutes ago, HAPvsOA said:

https://auburnwire.usatoday.com/lists/auburn-basketball-2022-transfer-portal-bruce-pearl/

Another list of transfer targets for Auburn, except only two on the list have shot well from 3. Nance eclipsed 44%, so I think we'd seriously consider him given his strengths and shooting if he doesn't stay in the draft. Teddy Allen has been decent from 3, but it sounds like he is headed elsewhere and I am not sure how he'd mesh with KD anyways.

Not sure how they came up with this list, but the rest don't seem to fit the shooter need at all. 

Yeah this is the article I referenced in this thread a few hours ago that @ellitor is also talking about above. I wouldnt put much, if any, credence into it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

Yeah this is the article I referenced in this thread a few hours ago that @ellitor is also talking about above. I wouldnt put much, if any, credence into it.

I saw your note from earlier, but didn't read that part about 2 scholarships left. Whoever wrote that article doesn't seem to understand much about our team. They must be short staffed like all the other places that don't pay well. 

3 hours ago, KansasTiger said:

That's the same source that spelled Flanigan like "Flannigan"...they don't do this reporting thing too well, do they?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HAPvsOA said:

@HAPvsOALook up three posts from your post. That article has already been discussed and at least partially debunked as the writer is a soon to be Bama student.

13 hours ago, ellitor said:

@HAPvsOALook up three posts from your post. That article has already been discussed and at least partially debunked as the writer is a soon to be Bama student.

Yeah, I didn't realize it was the same article until later.  It's as worthless as click bait. 

11 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

Hearing from multiple sites Mayer is pulling out of the draft and will transfer. GO GET HIM, BRUCE!!!

Pretty sure that was expected. Here's hoping we're #1 in his Queue. He'd fit what we need perfectly...I just worry that he's looking for more than we can offer him, role wise.

Yeah it sounds like UNC is trying to sell Mayer on playing the same role as Manek did last year and that they have a good chance to win it all next year, so that will be tough to beat, especially if we are not promising a starting role or significant minutes. 

Any update on the Nance kid that was transferring out of Northwestern? He'd also plays the 3/4, could be a potential great fit and shoots lights out from 3. And his Dad and brother play/played in the league. I'm guessing he'd be looking for a place with a lot of minutes as well, but who knows what Bruce is selling in terms of development to improve draft stock.  

3 hours ago, HAPvsOA said:

Yeah it sounds like UNC is trying to sell Mayer on playing the same role as Manek did last year and that they have a good chance to win it all next year, so that will be tough to beat, especially if we are not promising a starting role or significant minutes. 

Any update on the Nance kid that was transferring out of Northwestern? He'd also plays the 3/4, could be a potential great fit and shoots lights out from 3. And his Dad and brother play/played in the league. I'm guessing he'd be looking for a place with a lot of minutes as well, but who knows what Bruce is selling in terms of development to improve draft stock.  

I don't think it's out there to think we have a good chance to win it all with the right wing thrown into the mix...

• Like 2

It's probably not the perception out there, but looking through orange-tinted lenses, I can see this team being better than last year's.  It's dependent on Chance becoming the star that we hope he will become. In that case:

Guards: Much improved with the addition of Westry and 4 or 5 players splitting minutes instead of 3.

Small forward: Healthy Flanagan/Westry/Moore  >>  Flanagan/Moore

Center: This could be a push.  Broome probably adds a little offense and rebounding, and only gives up a little defensively. He was a great shot blocker in his own right. (I said the lenses were orange-tinted)

Power forward: Ok, Jabari's not replaceable. But the question becomes how much fall off will there be between Auburn's highest rated recruit and 2nd highest rated recruit, both backed up by a terrific player in his own right.  Possibly, not much.

So greatly improved at 3 positions, with minimal fall off at the other 2.  If Chance becomes the facilitator we think he will be from wherever he is playing, this will be a very good team.

In this scenario, there aren't many transfer players that can help us. Getting a good 2/3 would be nice, but the few players out there that could help don't seem to have Auburn on their radar at the moment.

Edited by Cardin Drake
  • Like 1

I think if next years team is better than this previous one its going to have to be because the sum of the parts are better than the parts individually. Unless Westry and/or Traore just come in way ahead of their ranking i don't expect we are going to have the high level NBA prospect we are use to having the last few season. We'll have some guys in the NBA conversation like Flan, KD, Cardwell, maybe Jaylin but it'll be surprising to see any of them elevate to first round level. 

So without having that go to star player we are going to have to rely on everyone being able to contribute. I think this can actually help a team because a lot of times when you have 1 or 2 guys way more talented than everyone else. The other players can start to rely on those guys to make plays instead of finding the plays for themselves. 

But for this to work we are going to have to have great guard play and specifically great PG play. Wendell, Zep, KD, Tre, and Westry are going to have to move the ball around like crazy to find open shooters. Pearl may have to call a few more set plays versus letting the guys do their thing. And i'd also like to see more cuts to the basket that aren't just ally-oops. 

All our guards are going to have to take a step forward this offseason and the starters may have to take 2/3 steps if we want to be in the championship conversation. I think these guys can make that kind of improvement because last season was the first season in the Pearl system and the first time playing together for pretty much every guard that played meaningful minutes last season. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

It's probably not the perception out there, but looking through orange-tinted lenses, I can see this team being better than last year's.  It's dependent on Chance becoming the star that we hope he will become. In that case:

Guards: Much improved with the addition of Westry and 4 players splitting minutes instead of 3.

Small forward: Healthy Flanagan/Westry/Moore  >>  Flanagan/Moore

Center: This could be a push.  Broome probably adds a little offense and rebounding, and only gives up a little defensively. He was a great shot blocker in his own right. (I said the lenses were orange-tinted)

Power forward: Ok, Jabari's not replaceable. But the question becomes how much fall off will there be between Auburn's highest rated recruit and 2nd highest rated recruit, both backed up by a terrific player in his own right.  Possibly, not much.

So greatly improved at 3 positions, with minimal fall off at the other 2.  If Chance becomes the facilitator we think he will be from wherever he is playing, this will be a very good team.

In this scenario, there aren't many transfer players that can help us. Getting a good 2/3 would be nice, but the few players out there that could help don't seem to have Auburn on their radar at the moment.

Could be. As Grave eluded to and you & others have said, guard play is super important at every level, but even more so at the college level. So the team could be better on offense just with our guards getting an extra year of improvement. If it were even half of the improvement of Bryce & Jared during their last season, it would be a huge improvement over last year. Obviously Westry, Flanigan, Broome, and Traore factor into how well our offense does, but improved guard play will go along way. Sometimes it felt like our Defense and transition baskets were our best offense last year (other than Jabari 1-on-1 or the alley-oop lobs to Kessler).  

On that note, I am curious how our defense will compare to last year. Obviously, we are getting as close as we can to a Kessler replacement in Broome, but I'll be interested to see how the rest of the D goes. I think Jabari was a bit underrated as a 1 on 1 defender at the beginning of the year. And others would likely think so as well if he ends up drafted #1 overall. Traore and Westry look like phenomenal athletes, so who knows, we could potentially end up being as good on D by tourney time, especially if Flanigan & Moore are healthy/improved as well. 

Edited by HAPvsOA
To be more specific

I would be surprised if it was better during the regular season just bc the SEC should be better, which should result in more trials. UK is always gonna be top 4, Alabama should be less horrid, Arky is going to be insane and Tenn should be more consistent if they keep the crop of guards that it appears they are 

I also think Auburn will need one of Tre/KD/Zep to be better than expectations regardless if Westry ends up being nice and Wendell becomes more trustworthy as a playmaker. They just got nothing out of their secondary playmaker (read: facilitator, not shot Creator or scored) most nights and not all of that fell onto them. But we do need a bit more  out of that group 

One good thing is that there’s more shot creation from top down now. 

Westry can get his, Flanigan was one of the better iso scorers when physically and mentally healthy, Traore seems like a better dribbler than Jabari (but we’ll have to wait to see), and those DC minutes will dispersed amongst wings and guards. Much too much perimeter creation came out of Wendell and KD, with the occasional Jabari flashes, last year 

One last thing on adding a wing in the portal this cycle, and I think it may have even hurt us with Phillips. If I'm on the outside looking in, Flanagan/Westry is pretty intimidating from a playing time perspective.  Flanagan was a breakout star as a sophomore. If he returns to form, where are your minutes coming from?  There aren't many guys out there who can be confident that they would be more than an insurance policy.  And the guys who would be content in that role aren't really who we are looking for. 

5 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I would be surprised if it was better during the regular season just bc the SEC should be better, which should result in more trials. UK is always gonna be top 4, Alabama should be less horrid, Arky is going to be insane and Tenn should be more consistent if they keep the crop of guards that it appears they are 

I also think Auburn will need one of Tre/KD/Zep to be better than expectations regardless if Westry ends up being nice and Wendell becomes more trustworthy as a playmaker. They just got nothing out of their secondary playmaker (read: facilitator, not shot Creator or scored) most nights and not all of that fell onto them. But we do need a bit more  out of that group 

One good thing is that there’s more shot creation from top down now. 

Westry can get his, Flanigan was one of the better iso scorers when physically and mentally healthy, Traore seems like a better dribbler than Jabari (but we’ll have to wait to see), and those DC minutes will dispersed amongst wings and guards. Much too much perimeter creation came out of Wendell and KD, with the occasional Jabari flashes, last year 

Well, not for nothing, but we won the SEC regular season the year before the Final Four run, so maybe we'll have similar mojo this time around...minus the no-call on the double dribble, of course.

• Like 2

I agree @Cardin Drake    
and I also admit I’m looking through O&B glasses.   
But last year it was the Jabari and Kessler show!   Some times they got a lot of help from 1-3, and some times they got very little!

This year the 4 and 5 look to be very good again.  There’s no Jabari or Kessler.   But I don’t think the production from the 4 and 5 will go down dramatically.   JW is very good and Traore is similar in play to Jabari, just not Jabari.   Cardwell will be better this year, and Broome has been described as Kessler with offense!   (but he’s probably not going to be as good on D, Kessler was the NDPOTY after all!)    So, point being, I think the 4 and 5 will still be a strength of the team, even though we lost 2 historically great players!

The reason I think this year’s team could likely be better than last year is the 1-3!   A healthy Flanagan alone will be huge!!!   Westry is a fantastic addition who can play 1, 2, or 3!   Also, Wendel, Zep, and KD were all first year at AU last year.   Bruce has all off season to work on the holes in their game and elevate their play for next year.   If they collectively improve a marginal amount, with Westry and a healthy Flanagan, then yeah, I believe this team can be better than the one that rose to #1 in the nation!

Now someone please correct me and bring me back down to earth.  🤪

Edited by AUinMS9528
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AUinMS9528 said:

I agree @Cardin Drake    
But last year it was the Jabari and Kessler show!   Some times they got a lot of help from 1-3, and some times they got very little!

This year the 4 and 5 look to be very good again.  There’s no Jabari or Kessler.   But I don’t think the production from the 4 and 5 will go down dramatically.   JW is very good and Traore is similar in play to Jabari, just not Jabari.   Cardwell will be better this year, and Broome has been described as Kessler with offense!   (but he’s probably not going to be as good on D, Kessler was the NDPOTY after all!)    So, point being, I think the 4 and 5 will still be a strength of the team, even though we lost 2 historically great players!

The reason I think this year’s team could likely be better than last year is the 1-3!   A healthy Flanagan alone will be huge!!!   Westry is a fantastic addition who can play 1, 2, or 3!   Also, Wendel, Zep, and KD were all first year at AU last year.   Bruce has all off season to work on the holes in their game and elevate their play for next year.   If they collectively improve a marginal amount, with Westry and a healthy Flanagan, then yeah, I believe this team can be better than the one that rose to #1 in the nation!

All the prior posters had some really good analysis on what this years team could be. 

the question to me is will we have the chemistry right off the bat w this new team like the 21-22 team had. 

remember, we all were kind of shocked w all the new players brought in that we started off looking so good and our record for the first 20 some games was phenomenal. And we started our SEC schedule winning our first 11-12 games. 

I don’t expect this new team to duplicate our great start and Pearl I think usually starts off slow and then takes off winning in the SEC and on. 

I still worry about our guards producing better and making the offense better. Remember we were 6-7 at the end of the year and it as directly related to teams ability to pressure and shut down our guards. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Well, not for nothing, but we won the SEC regular season the year before the Final Four run, so maybe we'll have similar mojo this time around...minus the no-call on the double dribble, of course.

Yeah but that was like the exact same team except you trade Heron and Mitchell for the ability to play Wiley, Purifoy and you get Doughty and Jvon, AND everyone got another year of experience together 

The team that almost beat Duke early and looked like the best in conference at the end, is the team that it should’ve been from front to back, and that’s why it was so strange and occasionally shocking how they performed in the middle 

This returning core shouldn’t be expected to have the same caliber of success if we’re talking preseason, and what goes into that difference in expectation was the driving force in my initial spiel 

• Like 1

The best cause for optimism is that the guards/wings HAVE to be better. I don’t think they were at rock bottom or anything, but that core as a whole can only perform better in my eyes. 

A big plus is the team playing in Israel.  That is a great way for a team to bond and develop Chemistry it also gives your team extra practices before the actual season begins. Having more practices to fit the new pieces Westry, Traore, Donaldson with the returning players and we have a chance to be very good team this year.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, AUinMS9528 said:

I agree @Cardin Drake    

I've got the O&B glasses on as much as anyone, but this is my attempt to talk us both down. :)   I agree with Steel that there will likely be growing pains at the beginning of the year and in SEC play. While Broom, Traore and Westry look phenomenal, we also just lost possibly the #1 pick in the draft and another likely potential 1st rounder/D player of the year. So I do think some of our success last year was insane talent over chemistry to some degree. And while I am super excited about our new talent, our weaknesses and some lack of chemistry/cohesion got exposed at tourney time. And by chemistry I don't mean that the team didn't get along, just that they hadn't played as a team for years like the core of our Final Four team had. 

So I won't be too worried about a slower start than last years scalding hot start in the SEC or our ranking as long as our chemistry and guard play is improving after losses. Sometimes that adversity can be incredibly helpful in identifying areas of improvement and hopefully, we'll be better prepared for tourney time next year. 

In other words, I wouldn't be surprised if we make it to at least the semifinals of the SEC tourney and the Sweet 16 next year. Although, I think we are learning how incredibly difficult it is to get to and beyond the Sweet 16 even when we have an incredibly talented team.

That wasn't much of a talking down. I guess I am more excited about next year's team than I realized but feel nervous that a better tourney showing hinges so much on our guard play. We really will need them to shine and get more from Flan or Moore. 

Edited by HAPvsOA
  • Like 1