2022 Transfer Portal Thread

ellitor

It's crazy to go from nobody takes you serious to the best programs in the country asking you to come play for them......I know this has to be overwhelming a bit. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Seeing as how Cook held a scholarship, I suppose it's just replacing him, but you actually gotta give this fella minutes unlike Cook. This also makes sense if Tre just redshirts or does football for a year or whatever

What reports I've seen from people around the programs indicate that Tre Donaldson will not play football at Auburn. He has not signed a football scholarship and he's still listed as a "verbal" on the Rivals site. Basketball scholarships can be signed starting April 13th. I'm expecting Donaldson to sign basketball papers with Auburn on the 13th or soon after.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

Despite what they have said on social media, if we upgrade the PG position Zep or Green may look to move on.

Yeah I honestly don’t see how it gets better for Zep in terms of opportunities with Westry and hopefully some improvement from the other 3 ball handlers already on the roster. Green might go too but I still think he can be that leading ball handler off the bench and contribute some 

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

Despite what they have said on social media, if we upgrade the PG position Zep or Green may look to move on.

If you watched enough NCAA's, especially PG and SG play, we are definitely below the programs that played deeper into the NCAAs in guard play and shooting proficiency. 

We know we have smaller guards, and other than Wendell, and kamikaze KD, Zep just doesn't have the best first step quickness or the agility to go around the perimeter and penetrate. His D is super solid, but his offense is below in breaking down the D on the dribble.

Will they get better? Zep, I don't think so..since he has been playing like this for about 4 years now. wendell's height is simply a bigger disadvantage in finding a good range to shoot the 3. Defenders know how to press him better, giving him trouble getting out of it. 

We do need to upgrade the guard shooters and ball handlers. That's a fact, and although I hate it, I would be ok to lose one of them.

But it better be a consistent better player first... 

12 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

If you watched enough NCAA's, especially PG and SG play, we are definitely below the programs that played deeper into the NCAAs in guard play and shooting proficiency. 

We know we have smaller guards, and other than Wendell, and kamikaze KD, Zep just doesn't have the best first step quickness or the agility to go around the perimeter and penetrate. His D is super solid, but his offense is below in breaking down the D on the dribble.

Will they get better? Zep, I don't think so..since he has been playing like this for about 4 years now. wendell's height is simply a bigger disadvantage in finding a good range to shoot the 3. Defenders know how to press him better, giving him trouble getting out of it. 

We do need to upgrade the guard shooters and ball handlers. That's a fact, and although I hate it, I would be ok to lose one of them.

But it better be a consistent better player first... 

Watching Carolina move the ball around last night was eye opening.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

I'm expecting Donaldson to sign basketball papers with Auburn on the 13th or soon after.

@Mikey He signed a basketball NLI during the early signing period for Basketball in November.

https://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/2021/11/auburn-basketball-signs-4-star-guards-chance-westry-tre-donaldson.html

Despite signing for basketball then he & AU can still choose for him to play football.

Now that Kessler is leaving, Auburn has to go hard after Manny Harris the 6'10" Center from NC State that entered the portal. He is stronger and more athletic than Kessler and is also a rim protector. He played in one game this season injured his shoulder and had season ending surgery. I think he has 2 years of eligibility left. He will be an excellent replacement.

2 minutes ago, Tiger720 said:

Now that Kessler is leaving, Auburn has to go hard after Manny Harris the 6'10" Center from NC State that entered the portal. He is stronger and more athletic than Kessler and is also a rim protector. He played in one game this season injured his shoulder and had season ending surgery. I think he has 2 years of eligibility left. He will be an excellent replacement.

Manny Bates.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

Despite signing for basketball then he & AU can still choose for him to play football.

Of course he can choose to play football, if Bruce wants to let him play. He could play baseball, tennis and run track as well.  With basketball being under the scholarship limitations and football apparently not able to fill all available slots, it should be obvious that he'd have signed a football scholarship if he and the coaches thought he was going to play both.

I didn't know Tre had already signed basketball papers. I guess they are leaving him listed as a verbal on the football recruiting list to keep Auburn from falling out of the top twenty. Obviously, he won't be signing football papers.

Edited by Mikey

13 minutes ago, Tiger720 said:

Auburn has to go hard after Manny Harris the 6'10" Center from NC State that entered the portal.

Not necessarily. There's another Big AU is looking at who may have even higher potential.

8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I didn't know Tre had already signed basketball papers. I guess they are leaving him listed as a verbal on the football recruiting list to keep Auburn from falling out of the top twenty.

Recruiting sites are leaving him on the football list because he's still telling them he plans to play football in college. All they can do for now is take him at his word & rate him as a football prospect unless he tells them he's done playing football.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not necessarily. There's another Big AU is looking at who may have even higher potential.

Do you know who is it?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tiger720 said:

Do you know who is it?

Yes. Johni Broome from Morehead St. 17 points 11 Rebs a game guy & was 4th in the nation in blocks with 3.9 per game.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

Yes. Johni Broome from Morehead St. 17 points 11 Rebs a game guy & was 4th in the nation in blocks with 3.9 per game.

I see where he declared for the draft but won't hire an agent. He is not in the transfer portal. Did he indicate that he would transfer if he returned to school?

On 4/2/2022 at 5:52 PM, cole256 said:

I gave an earful in if we are doing in state how Auburn is a much better choice than bammer.......

cole out here doin' the Lord's work.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Tiger720 said:

Did he indicate that he would transfer if he returned to school?

I’m not sure. I just know Auburn is keeping tabs on him.

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I’m not sure. I just know Auburn is keeping tabs on him.

That's a big risk because I think they players have until the middle of May to withdraw from their name from the NBA draft. I feel like schools are going to jump on Bates. I trust the coaching staff. I hear they all are excellent recruiters especially Steven Pearl and Wes Flanagan.

3 hours ago, lutzcammed said:

Last year, did we get most of our transfers shortly after the season,

Yes. All but KD happened in April.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tiger720 said:

That's a big risk because I think they players have until the middle of May to withdraw from their name from the NBA draft.

Not really a risk. There are some quality bigs that will still be available.

1 hour ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

On3...is this the new big name recruiting site, like 247 used to be?

I don't know about all that but as far as AU sites On3's the corner is the best.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2022 at 10:25 AM, ellitor said:

@Dunndone414Where did you see that?

Sorry for the delay (was at the Final Four, actually). Jake Weingarten reported we’ve reached out to Lucas. He’s a good source for transfer watch. I’m sure we contact guys that we don’t end up seriously chasing though.