2022 Transfer Portal Thread

ellitor

HS and Club teams emphasize 3 point shot and layups. Fewer and fewer players have a mid-range game, especially the drive and pull up shot. The mid-range bank shot is almost gone. In the old days there were players who made a living off of  the mid range bank shot.

The teams like Miami actually had players who had a mid range game that is what made their guards so hard for our guards to handle them. The other side of the mid range game is if you drive and don't make your layup it is a lot further to get back on defense as opposed to a missed mid range shot. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

HS and Club teams emphasize 3 point shot and layups. Fewer and fewer players have a mid-range game, especially the drive and pull up shot. The mid-range bank shot is almost gone. In the old days there were players who made a living off of  the mid range bank shot.

The teams like Miami actually had players who had a mid range game that is what made their guards so hard for our guards to handle them. The other side of the mid range game is if you drive and don't make your layup it is a lot further to get back on defense as opposed to a missed mid range shot. 

That's coming back around in the NBA too. Chris Paul and Booker are tough guards bc of it! 

6 hours ago, Dunndone414 said:

The NBA guys can actually shoot. :) 

Was referring to the midrange part of his post.

Auburn, Memphis, Georgetown possibilities according to 247/Vols writer:

Edited by AUreo

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

15.4% from 3, 59% FT

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, AUreo said:

On a Tennessee forum, they are saying that he has a lot of people in his ears. Rumors are spreading that he called Barnes saying he should be a starter and at least play 30 minutes per game next season. They are saying he has played at 5 schools in 5 years. To me he is not that good and we don't need a cancer like that in the program disrupting team chemistry.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AUreo said:

Dude’s an athletic marvel, his skill set overlaps with Traore quite a bit from what I can remember. I wouldn’t be mad at getting him, although I don’t think he’s a NEED per se 

• Like 1

On 4/8/2022 at 10:40 PM, NWALA Tiger said:

E, do u know if the game tomorrow  is being streamed?

Just now seeing this. Tag me next time you have a question for me @NWALA Tiger.

Kendric Davis from SMU in the portal. Man, I wish that we could lure that guy to AU….

Edited by fredst
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

25 minutes ago, fredst said:

Kendric Davis from SMU in the portal. Man, I wish that we could lure that guy to AU….

Given we didn't go after Mark Sears who has similar & in some cases better skills & is taller, I don't see us going after KD.

Kendric Davis is a star. I'd like to see us go after him. May be the new best player in the portal.  No idea if we will.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Given we didn't go after Mark Sears who has similar & in some cases better skills & is taller, I don't see us going after KD.

Any idea why not? We need some more consistent perimeter shooting. 

30 minutes ago, CT Tiger said:

I don't know why not, but AU didn't offer Sears out of high school and apparently showed no interest in him this time either.

8 hours ago, CT Tiger said:

Because I think the priority at the guard/wing spot is to add a taller, physical guy who can shoot.

• Like 2

CBS sports updates their transfer rankings. I'd be thrilled with either one of these guys to upgrade our guard play.

1. Kendric Davis

Old school: SMU

The 6-foot guard played a key role in helping SMU to three straight winning seasons and is the reigning AAC Player of the Year. In 2021-22, he finished second in the AAC in scoring behind a 37.2% 3-point mark on 6.5 attempts per game. Davis is more than just an outside shooter, though, and has the profile of a starting point guard for a big-time program. During the 2020-21 season, he ranked fourth nationally with 7.6 assists per game while still scoring 19 points per contest. He is also skilled at scoring inside the arc as a career 49.8% shooter on 2-point attempts.

2. Nijel Pack

Old school: Kansas State

Pack earned All-Big 12 First Team honors as a sophomore and finished third in the league in scoring at 17.4 points per game. His 43.6% 3-point shooting percentage this past season was particularly strong. Considering that he also shot 40.5% from deep as a freshman and is averaging 6.9 attempts from deep for his career, Pack might be the best shooter in the portal who has consistently proven it against elite defenses. He can do more than just shoot, though, and he should be able to play a key role for a big-time team next season.

Edited by Cardin Drake
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Pack was a dog with 3 Gs

Keep saying...he's an automatic bucket. Hit a number of klutch shots too.

• Like 1

Right or wrong, if CBP believes Wen will find a consistent balance between looking for his own shot vs looking for others + believes in Donaldson as his next PG, I can see why he’s not looking for facilitators (not to mention Westry)

NOT SAYING I AGREE, but I get the rationale 

On 4/11/2022 at 11:57 PM, Mikey said:

I don't know why not, but AU didn't offer Sears out of high school and apparently showed no interest in him this time either.

That's not true

As far as Mark coach Pearl made some promises to other players on the team that he felt the need to honor

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1