2022 Transfer Portal Thread

ellitor

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

As far as Mark coach Pearl made some promises to other players on the team that he felt the need to honor

That would be confirmation they have guards they view as the facilitators/ball dominant guys. Which I think is fine, there’s only so many cycling through options you can do before it comes back to you karma wise 

Sucks that it didn’t work out, glad Pearl at least had the communication with him and explained the why. And it definitely worked out better for Sears, JD gone and Quinerly too possibly 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cole256 said:

That's not true

What about this statement of mine isn't true? "I don't know why not, but AU didn't offer Sears out of high school and apparently showed no interest in him this time either."

13 hours ago, cole256 said:

As far as Mark coach Pearl made some promises to other players on the team that he felt the need to honor

So, which of your above statements is accurate? Did he have an offer two years ago or not? Did he have an offer currently or not? I think I recall you saying, back those years ago, that Sears would come to Auburn if offered. What you are saying now is Sears chose Ohio when he had an offer from AU?

Edited by Mikey

14 hours ago, cole256 said:
On 4/11/2022 at 11:57 PM, Mikey said:

I don't know why not, but AU didn't offer Sears out of high school and apparently showed no interest in him this time either.

That's not true

Yuo. Contacting someone in the transfer portal, which we did via reports, is the very definition of having some interest in the player.

14 hours ago, cole256 said:

I love and appreciate Zep & his defense but I kind of wish he wasn't using his upcoming covid year so we'd have room at the position to bring in Mark.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yuo. Contacting someone in the transfer portal, which we did via reports, is the very definition of having some interest in the player.

Did he have a comittable offer either time?

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Did he have an offer two years ago or not Did he have an offer currently or not?

You can have interest from a school without having an offer. Your OP said no interest from AU this time. Since we contacted him per some reputable source this time we did have interest. As for 2 years ago I have no clue but I trust whatever Cole knows on that topic.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

What you are saying now is Sears chose Ohio when he had an offer from AU?

Nope. Reading & logic comprehension is lacking here & knowing you it's likely done on purpose just to start a needless & useless argument.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

Did he have a comittable offer either time?

No but like I said your OP said no interest & didn't mention anything about a committable offer. You can have interest without any kind of offer. Please do the rest of us a favor & stop trying to stir up this needless argument.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2022 at 1:12 PM, Cardin Drake said:

CBS sports updates their transfer rankings. I'd be thrilled with either one of these guys to upgrade our guard play.

1. Kendric Davis

Old school: SMU

The 6-foot guard played a key role in helping SMU to three straight winning seasons and is the reigning AAC Player of the Year. In 2021-22, he finished second in the AAC in scoring behind a 37.2% 3-point mark on 6.5 attempts per game. Davis is more than just an outside shooter, though, and has the profile of a starting point guard for a big-time program. During the 2020-21 season, he ranked fourth nationally with 7.6 assists per game while still scoring 19 points per contest. He is also skilled at scoring inside the arc as a career 49.8% shooter on 2-point attempts.

2. Nijel Pack

Old school: Kansas State

Pack earned All-Big 12 First Team honors as a sophomore and finished third in the league in scoring at 17.4 points per game. His 43.6% 3-point shooting percentage this past season was particularly strong. Considering that he also shot 40.5% from deep as a freshman and is averaging 6.9 attempts from deep for his career, Pack might be the best shooter in the portal who has consistently proven it against elite defenses. He can do more than just shoot, though, and he should be able to play a key role for a big-time team next season.

I’d take either or both!   We’ve got to improve significantly in perimeter shooting!!!

I'd like to get one of them. Both of those guys are proven studs.  But if we don't pursue them, I think that is a strong confirmation that CBP feels like Chance and Tre can provide the help we need at the guard position in general and 3 point shooting in particular.  I'm good if that's his judgement. He's not wrong on that stuff very often.  Chance appears to be a mid 30's 3 point shooter already in high school. I'm not sure about Tre. 

Cole send in the past we did not offer Sears out of HS. How I translate what he was saying in his latest Post. Is the had interest in Sears but because of some commitments they had made to current players they couldn't offer him this time.

Because Green Zep and KD had already transferred to Auburn it would put them in a really bad position if we asked one to leave as they would have to sit out a year. If you bring a player in then dump him for somebody else leaving the player you originally brought in with no real options, besides hurting a player you would hurt yourself as the word would go out what you did. Who would want to transfer to you after that. So basically I believe Cole was saying they were interested but could not screw over a current player to bring him in.  

I will let Cole confirm if I read his post correctly.

Edited by AuburnNTexas

10 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Cole send in the past we did not offer Sears out of HS. How I translate what he was saying in his latest Post. Is the had interest in Sears but because of some commitments they had made to current players they couldn't offer him this time.

Because Green Zep and KD had already transferred to Auburn it would put them in a really bad position if we asked one to leave as they would have to sit out a year. If you bring a player in then dump him for somebody else leaving the player you originally brought in with no real options, besides hurting a player you would hurt yourself as the word would go out what you did. Who would want to transfer to you after that. So basically I believe Cole was saying they were interested but could not screw over a current player to bring him in.  

Not sure Bruce new he was committing to Zep playing next year at the time.

• Like 1

Tre is a pg, and Chance is a pg as well as SG.  Bruce may have told one or both that he wouldn't  bring in another pure pg this cycle. I can't imagine he would make a commitment that extended past one recruiting cycle.

Edited by Cardin Drake

2 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

if we don't pursue them, I think that is a strong confirmation that CBP feels like Chance and Tre can provide the help we need at the guard position in general and 3 point shooting in particular

@Cardin DrakeIt more than likely says Bruce likes what he has at the point or how it will develop next season. Both these guys are shorter PG types and we already have 3 of those. Bruce wants a taller, physical guard or wing that can shoot well for the 2 & 3 positions.

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Green Zep and KD had already transferred to Auburn it would put them in a really bad position if we asked one to leave as they would have to sit out a year.

@AuburnNTexas FWIW as a Grad Transfer Zep would not have to sit a year if he transferred.

24 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

Chance is a pg as well as SG

Based on roster make up & last years production Chance is projected as a SG & SF at the moment.

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

So why even reach out to Sears if that was the case? Zep announced in February he was coming back and KD/Green were already coming back. We would have known that all 3 were coming back by the time Mark entered the portal. We either reached out to him because he had legit interest or we wouldn’t reach out I would say. 

7 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

So why even reach out to Sears if that was the case? Zep announced in February he was coming back and KD/Green were already coming back

Because plans can always change so you cover your bases by reaching out.

• Like 1

Wow, that is a very interesting transfer. One of the very top 5 star recruits  last year who had a disappointing freshman year. Just turned 18 and considered a sure NBA prospect. Needs to gain weight/strength.  I'm sure he'll have a ton of suitors.    Big wing. Seems like a fit. I'm glad I don't make these decisions.  In Bruce we trust. 

Highlights

https://sports.yahoo.com/emoni-bates-high-school-highlights-193946561.html

Edited by Cardin Drake
  • Like 1

I am surprised he didn't do better at Memphis he would be a great SF for us. If we pick up Broome we would be at least two deep at C (Cardell, Boome), PF (Willioams, Traore), SF (Flanigan, Bates, Westry) with a lot of versatility at all 3 positions. I left out Stretch at Center as I keep thinking he will hit the Portal. We could also use Westry and Flanigan at SG especially if we play teams with big SG's.  Now whether Bruce would be interested in Bates I have no idea as I thought if he gets another big his next need is an SG who has a sweet stroke.

• Like 2

He had some injury issues at Memphis, and he needs to add some strength.  He's an excellent 3 pt. shooter though.  A lot of upside potential there. 

1 hour ago, zeroforwinger said:

Emoni Bates leaving Memphis.  Any chance we’re interested?

Stating the obvious here but…. he would be a *great* get for AU, both from a talent and need standpoint. No idea if we would have interest or any chance

2 hours ago, zeroforwinger said:

Emoni Bates leaving Memphis.  Any chance we’re interested?

My guess is not right now since we aren't ready to take BHH yet & we recruited him hard out of high school & Bates didn't dramatically outperform BHH their freshmen years last year. Julian Phillips is priority #1 right now if we add a 3/4 type of player.

An insider on On3 says Sparty is likely the front runner for Bates FWIW.

• Like 3

Julian Phillips would be fine!  Bates is very much the same kind of player.  I don't think we were on Bates' radar originally I don't think, so we are probably a long shot now.