2022 Transfer Portal Thread

ellitor

All these 5 star transfers…has Bruce ever had a bust at Auburn or a highly rated guy that just didn’t work out here?  Seems like he chooses his guys well and maximizes their potential at a very high rate.  Maybe Heron or the kid that went to Baylor?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

All these 5 star transfers…has Bruce ever had a bust at Auburn or a highly rated guy that just didn’t work out here?  Seems like he chooses his guys well and maximizes their potential at a very high rate.  Maybe Heron or the kid that went to Baylor?

Wiley and/or Purifoy? I forget if either one was a 5* out of HS. 

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

My guess is not right now since we aren't ready to take BHH yet & we recruited him hard out of high school & Bates didn't dramatically outperform BHH their freshmen years last year. Julian Phillips is priority #1 right now if we add a 3/4 type of player.

An insider on On3 says Sparty is likely the front runner for Bates FWIW.

Any new updates/rumblings about Phillips and the G League? I wonder if we are trying work an NIL angle in there. 

16 minutes ago, CT Tiger said:

Wiley and/or Purifoy? I forget if either one was a 5* out of HS. 

Would not consider either a bust. They both had their moments and dealt with adversity but both were crucial in us going to the Final Four. Wiley gets s*** on a lot because of his hands but he was a damn good rebounder and defender. Not every 5* is gonna go to the NBA and they're both playing overseas professionally.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, tgrogan21 said:

Would not consider either a bust. They both had their moments and dealt with adversity but both were crucial in us going to the Final Four. Wiley gets s*** on a lot because of his hands but he was a damn good rebounder and defender. Not every 5* is gonna go to the NBA and they're both playing overseas professionally.

That's fair. I was on the fence when I said it because my sentiments are pretty much the same. There's also a degree of subjectivity; how exactly would you define 'bust'? 

14 minutes ago, CT Tiger said:

That's fair. I was on the fence when I said it because my sentiments are pretty much the same. There's also a degree of subjectivity; how exactly would you define 'bust'? 

Never starting, playing less than 10 minutes a game? It's hard to define it in words but a guy who had a lot of double-doubles while playing great defense isn't a bust. Purifoy could be considered a bust but I wouldn't label him as one. Neither were a 5 star, Austin Wiley was around the 35th best player coming out of high school while Purifoy was 60ish.

I think a lot of people also forget just how electric Purifoy was in his freshman season before all of the Person crap went down. 17 out of 29 games that year he scored in double-digits. Scoring 20+ 3 times and getting a double-double that season. If the Person stuff didn't happen I believe his last two years at Auburn would be looked at way more fondly.

Screenshot 2022-04-16 at 19-55-28 Danjel Purifoy Career Game Log College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com.png

Those are crazy good stats for a freshman on a not so great team.

Edited by tgrogan21
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, fredst said:

Stating the obvious here but…. he would be a *great* get for AU, both from a talent and need standpoint. No idea if we would have interest or any chance

Bruce is too smart to add a guy that toxic.

45 minutes ago, CT Tiger said:

Any new updates/rumblings about Phillips and the G League?

Not in a while.

45 minutes ago, CT Tiger said:

I wonder if we are trying work an NIL angle in there. 

I'm sure all teams are.

32 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

both were crucial in us going to the Final Four.

I love AW & his time at AU but based on expectation due to ranking he empirically underperformed.

37 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Not every 5* is gonna go to the NBA and they're both playing overseas professionally.

No but right or wrong the whole point of the rankings system is to project their NBA potential.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I love AW & his time at AU but based on expectation due to ranking he empirically underperformed.

Under performing is not the same as a bust, though. Which was the question.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Absolutely what I was gonna say. He had a successful career and helped win some huge ballgames, just didn’t become a superstar like a Kess did. Big difference in not panning out as much as expected and a bust- to me anyways. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Meant to say not sure if it's a bust or not but definitely forgot that part.

I live in Memphis so I watched the Emoni Bates drama play out this year. There were some injury issues, but there's also no question that early in the season there were significant locker room issues at least some of which revolved around Bates. He also just didn't play well when he was on the floor. Appears to me that the expectations put on the kid have hurt him, both in terms of what fans expect from him & but even more in what his people (i.e., family, advisors, etc.) want for him (namely a huge NBA contract). The result is a ton of pressure on him. I feel for him, but I'm also not clear that he is able to contribute well to a team concept right now. Watching him & watching Jabari was night & day. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TigerTennis80 said:

I live in Memphis so I watched the Emoni Bates drama play out this year. There were some injury issues, but there's also no question that early in the season there were significant locker room issues at least some of which revolved around Bates. He also just didn't play well when he was on the floor. Appears to me that the expectations put on the kid have hurt him, both in terms of what fans expect from him & but even more in what his people (i.e., family, advisors, etc.) want for him (namely a huge NBA contract). The result is a ton of pressure on him. I feel for him, but I'm also not clear that he is able to contribute well to a team concept right now. Watching him & watching Jabari was night & day. 

Hello, fellow Memphian. 

14 hours ago, AUDevil said:

The kid who went to Baylor and was a Top 10 pick in the draft last year after winning the natty? Not really a bust 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zeroforwinger said:

The kid who went to Baylor and was a Top 10 pick in the draft last year after winning the natty? Not really a bust 

“Or guy that just didn’t really work out here”

1 hour ago, zeroforwinger said:

Exactly. Great player that left for a (perceived at least) quicker path to playing time

• Like 1

Does anyone know who we’re actually targeting hard and for what position? I’ve seen so many names pop up in the portal that I can’t keep them straight. The only one I know of is Broome, and he’s a center, I believe. 

1 hour ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

Does anyone know who we’re actually targeting hard and for what position? I’ve seen so many names pop up in the portal that I can’t keep them straight. The only one I know of is Broome, and he’s a center, I believe. 

The most serious targets at the moment seem to be Broome (Center - visited this weekend) and Brandon Huntley-Hatfield (PF - visiting Thursday). It’s possible Bruce views both as interchangeable at the 4 or 5. Neither has shown any ability to space the floor in college. 

We’ve contacted a few shooting guards, but I’m unaware of any upcoming visits. 

Edited by Dunndone414
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

The only one I know of is Broome, and he’s a center, I believe. 

@Potatooooooes!!He's the only one to be reported on as AU going after hard. brandon huntley-hatfield i visiting this week as a Power Forward but the staff has not pushed yet because they haven't decided if he will be a good fit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Dunndone414 said:

It’s possible Bruce views both as interchangeable at the 4 or 5. Neither has shown any ability to space the floor in college. 

Doubt it. Broome's D & BHH's overall potential make them vastly different players.

14 minutes ago, Dunndone414 said:

We’ve contacted a few shooting guards, but I’m unaware of any upcoming visits. 

Not many in the portal who fit our needs.

• Thanks 1

Hey, Big E:

What's the news with Julian Phillips?  We don't seem to be in the conversation on most of the sites talking about him.

Man, he would be huge if Bruce could pull that one off. 

1 minute ago, Cardin Drake said:

What's the news with Julian Phillips? 

Haven't seen any news on him in a while but he is a higher target than BHH.

• Like 1