2022 5* Wing/Big Julian Phillips Commits to Vols

ellitor

This from volnation from a vols fan:

Latest I’ve heard is that Auburn/Pearl were unable to match the specifics of NIL, but promised they would. He is thinking hard about G league/Ignite. I’d still say we are 1a or 1b in his top choices if he doesn’t go Ignite.

2 hours ago, Tiger720 said:

If Phillips picks another school besides Auburn, I don't see it as a big blow because a a couple of months ago Auburn was never in the picture until he decomimitted from LSU.

It's a big blow  because he would immediately upgrade the 3 position. On;y way it's not a big blow is if Flan returns to 2020 form minus the TOs.

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

Latest I’ve heard is that Auburn/Pearl were unable to match the specifics of NIL, but promised they would. He is thinking hard about G league/Ignite. I’d still say we are 1a or 1b in his top choices if he doesn’t go Ignite.

Lol. AUreo posted the same thing on On3.

53 minutes ago, AUreo said:

Wo wo wo!!! Is this the same infamous AUreo from on 3?! Not going to lie dude you never seem to post positive AU news. Going to need for you to relax bruhhh!! Lol. So you have a account on here. On On3. Do you bunk?

5 minutes ago, AuburnbasketballGuru said:

He still has a verbal commitment with Tennessee

Not publicly & history shows that in recruiting a public commitment is all that counts, Sometimes that even doesn't.

5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Not going to lie dude you never seem to post positive AU news.

Yes he does. He just likes looking on the other side of the fence & brings that info over.

1 hour ago, Cardin Drake said:

I think it's safe to say now everyone is full of complete s*** when it comes to this recruitment. People are grasping for straws because they have no clue. No one had him going to K state for a OV on the AU and rocky top side. 

I hope he's doing this as just a favor to his former AAU coach who is a assistant there now. Because this sort of thing used to happen a good bit awhile ago. That's how K state got Michael Beasley back in the day. They hired a former coach of his as a assistant.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 5

16 minutes ago, AuburnbasketballGuru said:

He still has a verbal commitment with Tennessee. This is all just for attention. 

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47k6paccdk5ydo1o1ke9

• Haha 1

I dunno, I feel good about our chances.  As for the Tennessee verbal, not that it's real,  it's going to last until we can match the offer, which we will. 

I respect the kid for taking his time.  Even for a kid as immensely talented as JP, the big NBA payday is still an iffy thing.  Do your best to maximize your chances and nowdays get some serious cash to boot.  I never took a job that I didn't think was the best thing for me.  Cover your bases; it's just smart. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, AuburnbasketballGuru said:

He still has a verbal commitment with Tennessee. This is all just for attention. 

Yeah there seems to be some people seeking attention…….

• Haha 6

6 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

If he'd go to Auburn if the money was right, and Tennessee had to hike the bag up quite a bit, then I highly doubt anything will persuade him not to go to GL ultimately. At the very least, he definitely is giving the GL an in to make the ultimate push

With how much leg work I'm sure Bruce (and moreso the basketball related entities behind the scene) has to do to get the funds together, I wouldn't be shocked if we whiffed on him bc of money

However, I'd be very encouraged (if these reports are true) and we do land him. It'd make me the most proud I've ever had at the behind the scenes at Auburn, bc it would show that we understand A. how close this team could be to a championship and B. What is required to win one in today's game 

I also would pray to the lord almighty that they'd even misallocate football NIL funds to make it happen. Lord knows that team isn't competing this season 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

With how much leg work I'm sure Bruce (and moreso the basketball related entities behind the scene) has to do to get the funds together, I wouldn't be shocked if we whiffed on him bc of money

However, I'd be very encouraged (if these reports are true) and we do land him. It'd make me the most proud I've ever had at the behind the scenes at Auburn, bc it would show that we understand A. how close this team could be to a championship and B. What is required to win one in today's game 

I also would pray to the lord almighty that they'd even misallocate football NIL funds to make it happen. Lord knows that team isn't competing this season 

Good one Dual. This is when we need the Nevilles. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Auburn & tennessee right now...

Rocky iv GIFs - Get the best gif on GIFER

Wait a minute...Rocky (Top). Which one is us? I don't like how this might turn out! 🤣

• Haha 5

Apparently being reported on KSU rivals site that Phillips is no longer visiting Kansas State this weekend.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47pwbolxk32abxoexrgg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

Apparently being reported on KSU rivals site that Phillips is no longer visiting Kansas State this weekend.

And their family went radio silent to their media. Decision expected next Wednesday or Thursday per JLee.

• Like 5

On 5/2/2022 at 4:11 PM, GwillMac6 said:

I hope he's doing this as just a favor to his former AAU coach who is a assistant there now. Because this sort of thing used to happen a good bit awhile ago. That's how K state got Michael Beasley back in the day. They hired a former coach of his as a assistant.

This is how Gus Malzahn broke into college football: Houston Nutt hired him as OC to get his QB and WR at Springdale to come to the University of Arkansas.

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

And their family went radio silent to their media. Decision expected next Wednesday or Thursday per JLee.

His recruitment has been all over the place. For some reason I don't think he's coming here. I'm not an insider but it seems like we may have been late to the party. I don't think Auburn recruited him the first time around or we weren't on his final list of schools. I hope I am wrong.

2 hours ago, Tiger720 said:

His recruitment has been all over the place. For some reason I don't think he's coming here. I'm not an insider but it seems like we may have been late to the party. I don't think Auburn recruited him the first time around or we weren't on his final list of schools. I hope I am wrong.

Here's how I read the tea leaves.  Tennessee made him a NIL offer that was outstanding. Very tempting. But Phillips is a virtual clone of Emani Bates, who was actually rated a little higher than Philips even in the class of 2021. Bates one year tenure there was pretty much a disaster and he has transferred. I just can't see Philips choosing Tennessee after that cautionary tale.  And it's not the only one under Barnes.

The Tennessee folks have said their NIL offer was more than Phillips would make going G league, and that Bruce told Phillips during his visit that he couldn't match Tennessee's offer at the moment but that he would.  Barnes threw a bunch of FUD at Philip's folks telling them to make sure they got the offer in writing...yada yada.

So if you are an optimist, I think Bruce  matched the offer and he's coming here. If you are a pessimist, I think he is going g league.  If you are a Tennessee fan, I think you are out of luck.

The kid is taking his time, and keeping things close to the vest, which drives fans crazy, but it's the smart way to approach it. I don't see any of the red flags you sometimes get with these situations.

Edited by Cardin Drake

1 hour ago, Cardin Drake said:

Here's how I read the tea leaves.  Tennessee made him a NIL offer that was outstanding. Very tempting. But Phillips is a virtual clone of Emani Bates, who was actually rated a little higher than Philips even in the class of 2021. Bates one year tenure there was pretty much a disaster and he has transferred. I just can't see Philips choosing Tennessee after that cautionary tale.  And it's not the only one under Barnes.

The Tennessee folks have said their NIL offer was more than Phillips would make going G league, and that Bruce told Phillips during his visit that he couldn't match Tennessee's offer at the moment but that he would.  Barnes threw a bunch of FUD at Philip's folks telling them to make sure they got the offer in writing...yada yada.

So if you are an optimist, I think Bruce  matched the offer and he's coming here. If you are a pessimist, I think he is going g league.  If you are a Tennessee fan, I think you are out of luck.

The kid is taking his time, and keeping things close to the vest, which drives fans crazy, but it's the smart way to approach it. I don't see any of the red flags you sometimes get with these situations.

I'm confused, I thought Bates played at Memphis.

11 minutes ago, TigerStripe said:

I'm confused, I thought Bates played at Memphis.

Yeah, that confused me too. He went to Memphis, not UT.