2022 5* Wing/Big Julian Phillips Commits to Vols

ellitor

43 minutes ago, TigerStripe said:

I'm confused, I thought Bates played at Memphis.

31 minutes ago, thewhiz7 said:

Yeah, that confused me too. He went to Memphis, not UT.

🤫 ….let him have this

• Haha 3

57 minutes ago, TigerStripe said:

I'm confused, I thought Bates played at Memphis.

Well, my bad. I was reading volnation, which is still quite entertaining, and they were interspersing talk of Bates with Bruce's negative recruiting on Tennessee because of transfers, and the fact that Barnes wouldn't guarantee minutes and [supposedly] Bruce would. Apologies, but I still think Phillips only goes to Tennessee only if we can't match the NIL offer, which I assume we have or will.

Sounds like he needs to provide ample time still for Auburn and Tennesee to increase the NIL offers they already made? 🤷‍♂️

• Thanks 1

A heady On3 poster pointed this out...

IG caption was “bout that time” 👀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, ellitor said:

A heady On3 poster pointed this out...

IG caption was “bout that time” 👀

image.gif.d3fafdedb8808f1e1b9ab9d58e1af528.gif

• Haha 2

Phillips feels like a lock

SIAP

21 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

A certain poster’s birthday is May 13th, and that poster would love if his team became a bona-fide super team…

Nope! Hopefully you, I mean he, gets an early birthday present.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Phillips feels like a lock

@Zeekif you have followed this recruitment closely you would know nothing about it feels like a lock til he is signed. He has been silently committed to 4 different schools at various times plus AU & the Vols are in a bidding war right now.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@Zeek if you have followed this recruitment closely you would know nothing about it feels like a lock til he is signed. He has been silently committed to 4 different schools at various times plus AU & the Vols are in a bidding war right now.

I haven't honestly. Yeah that does sound crazy. Saw where the Tenn coach didn't seem happy with NIL stuff too. 

Watched part of the War Rapport stream last night. They seemed rather pessimistic of our chances. Tennessee or Gleague was what they were hearing...

In the past, when it’s us, another team, and the G league, the G league has won.   But, because of NIL and the fact that he was committed to LSU before, I think college is more likely for JP.     I would also think, as I look with my O&B glasses, that if AU is even close to UT’s NIL offer, that AU would be the preferred destination.    Bruce’s track record for improving draft stock, the potential for championships, and the media spotlight are all there at AU.   I don’t see another option on his list that can compete with that.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AUinMS9528 said:

In the past, when it’s us, another team, and the G league, the G league has won.   But, because of NIL and the fact that he was committed to LSU before, I think college is more likely for JP.     I would also think, as I look with my O&B glasses, that if AU is even close to UT’s NIL offer, that AU would be the preferred destination.    Bruce’s track record for improving draft stock, the potential for championships, and the media spotlight are all there at AU.   I don’t see another option on his list that can compete with that.  

100% spot on. We don't have to match any school dollar for dollar in NIL money. Recruiting them to Auburn in the normal way with SOME NIL money to sweeten the pot should be enough in the case of basketball and baseball. Some other sports will have to establish their program before that works for them.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

100% spot on. We don't have to match any school dollar for dollar in NIL money. Recruiting them to Auburn in the normal way with SOME NIL money to sweeten the pot should be enough in the case of basketball and baseball. Some other sports will have to establish their program before that works for them.

Barnes is no pushover and his teams have mirrored ours in the NCAAs out of our FINAL 4 run. 

they have a great program facilities history too. If they have deeper NIL pockets it will be tough if it’s down to us two. 

17 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

they have a great program facilities history too. If they have deeper NIL pockets it will be tough if it’s down to us two. 

They don't have the recent NBA pedigree we do. Hopefully that's the deciding factor.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ellitor said:

They don't have the recent NBA pedigree we do. Hopefully that's the deciding factor.

We don’t have the recent pedigree but just had two first round draft picks last year and likely another top 20 pick this year? Also Grant Williams is playing Extremely good basketball in the playoffs right now. I wouldn’t necessarily agree that Auburn has had more NBA success that Tennessee has had. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VolTime said:

We don’t have the recent pedigree but just had two first round draft picks last year and likely another top 20 pick this year? Also Grant Williams is playing Extremely good basketball in the playoffs right now. I wouldn’t necessarily agree that Auburn has had more NBA success that Tennessee has had. 

Liked this just bc I do agree Tenn has had worthwhile NBA success recently. I would trust Pearl more after this offseason but UTk isn’t awful in that department

• Like 2

I'm speaking specifically of the wing/stretch 4 position, the position JP will play. Williams & Scofield is all y'all have had the past decade. In the past 3 years we have had Chuma, Okeke, Thor drafted & about to have Bari. Speaking specifically on that position it's not close.

• Like 2

Solid rational response. 

• Like 1