2022 5* Wing/Big Julian Phillips Commits to Vols

ellitor

• ellitor changed the title to ***2022 5* Wing/Big Julian Phillips (Commit Watch: 5/12 2 PM CT)***

10 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

amateur athletics

Just looked it up in the Webster's Online Dictionary & it said term no loner exists.

18 minutes ago, ellitor said:

His announcement went from 11 am to 2pm. Is he giving Auburn a little more time to come up with NIL money? Or is he headed to Tennessee like most think he's headed? I just don't think he'll do an announcement for the G-League.

2 minutes ago, Tiger720 said:

His announcement went from 11 am to 2pm. Is he giving Auburn a little more time to come up with NIL money? Or is he headed to Tennessee like most think he's headed? I just don't think he'll do an announcement for the G-League.

I wonder if he’s going to USC and adjusted the time because of time zone differences. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Tiger720 said:

@Tiger720I'm not sure he ever had an 11 or 11:30 AM announce time. That's just something I read in passing & decided to put in the thread title.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@Tiger720I'm not sure he ever had an 11 or 11:30 AM announce time. That's just something I read in passing & decided to put in the thread title.

Article from the On3 national guy had that time in there.

15 minutes ago, Tiger720 said:

Jalen Green had a big announcement for G league on IG live with a big time NBA reporter. It's def a womp womp moment because g league doesn't have a built in mega huge fanbase that can get excited obviously so no one cared.

Edited by GwillMac6

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

That's where I saw it & I'm saying I'm not sure it was ever right.

39 minutes ago, ellitor said:
46 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

That's where I saw it & I'm saying I'm not sure it was ever right.

Or more likely JP set a time then CBS told him they wanted to air it & asked if he could move the time to fit their coverage.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, ellitor said:

Swing And A Miss GIFs | Tenor

That's alright, darlin. I'll take you as a 4 ball partner in every tournament.

Edited by SumterAubie
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

That's alright, darlin. I'll take you as a 4 ball partner in every tournament.

Not with those shoes!!! I've won so many 4 ball tourney's with good ladies players hitting from the ladies tees instead of hitting a 5 iron into the green I'm hit a 9 iron. Boom birdies birdies

24 minutes ago, thewhiz7 said:

So the prevailing wisdom is Tennessee?

@thewhiz7Nope. Too close to call with a believed slight lean to college & then if it's college slight lean to AU.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Could you do me a favor and define "amateur athletics"? 

Ellitor inspired me to search …

legal dictionary - 

The most basic difference between amateur athletic events and professional events lies in their rewards for participation. Amateur events, by definition, do not reward victors with a prize of great value. Professional events, by contrast, reward participants and victors with money and/or other prizes. An accomplished athlete may choose to compete as an amateur if her sport does not have a thriving professional organization. Some athletes can make a living in amateur sports because victories in high-profile amateur events can lead to advertising deals and other business opportunities.

Amateur sports can be divided into two categories: restricted and unrestricted competition. Restricted competition includes elementary school, high school, and college athletics. Sports on these levels are controlled by athletic conferences, associations, and leagues connected to schools and colleges. Athletes in restricted competition must be eligible to play. Eligibility is determined by conferences, associations, and leagues formed by the schools.

Unrestricted competition is open to all amateur athletes, with some qualifications. The Olympics is an example of unrestricted competition. Although only a select few amateur athletes are chosen to represent the United States, any person may seek entry into this elite group by entering recognized contests in the years before the Olympiad and qualifying for tryouts.

Whether an athlete is eligible to compete in amateur events depends on the rules of the governing conference, league, or association. Many events formerly reserved for amateurs, such as the Olympics, were opened to professionals in the 1980s and 1990s. Gymnasts, figure skaters, soccer players, track stars, and other athletes once concerned with maintaining amateur status now may enjoy the fruits of professional competitions without losing access to prestigious amateur events. Often difficult eligibility issues for amateur athletes do not concern professional status. Qualification requirements for particular events and rules prohibiting drug use are among the more challenging roadblocks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

Ellitor inspired me to search …

legal dictionary - 

The most basic difference between amateur athletic events and professional events lies in their rewards for participation. Amateur events, by definition, do not reward victors with a prize of great value. Professional events, by contrast, reward participants and victors with money and/or other prizes. An accomplished athlete may choose to compete as an amateur if her sport does not have a thriving professional organization. Some athletes can make a living in amateur sports because victories in high-profile amateur events can lead to advertising deals and other business opportunities.

Amateur sports can be divided into two categories: restricted and unrestricted competition. Restricted competition includes elementary school, high school, and college athletics. Sports on these levels are controlled by athletic conferences, associations, and leagues connected to schools and colleges. Athletes in restricted competition must be eligible to play. Eligibility is determined by conferences, associations, and leagues formed by the schools.

Unrestricted competition is open to all amateur athletes, with some qualifications. The Olympics is an example of unrestricted competition. Although only a select few amateur athletes are chosen to represent the United States, any person may seek entry into this elite group by entering recognized contests in the years before the Olympiad and qualifying for tryouts.

Whether an athlete is eligible to compete in amateur events depends on the rules of the governing conference, league, or association. Many events formerly reserved for amateurs, such as the Olympics, were opened to professionals in the 1980s and 1990s. Gymnasts, figure skaters, soccer players, track stars, and other athletes once concerned with maintaining amateur status now may enjoy the fruits of professional competitions without losing access to prestigious amateur events. Often difficult eligibility issues for amateur athletes do not concern professional status. Qualification requirements for particular events and rules prohibiting drug use are among the more challenging roadblocks.

I was making a joke FWIW.

• Facepalm 1

FWIW a guy who usually has good info & real NBA connections, says his NBA guy feels if it's college then it's AU.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

FWIW a guy who usually has good info & real NBA connections, says his NBA guy feels if it's college then it's AU.

Is he a Guru? If he's not a Guru then I'm still skeptical. 

• Haha 6

4 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Is he a Guru? If he's not a Guru then I'm still skeptical. 

He doesn't claim or pretend to be. His info just pans out often. And he's a guy WDE has vouched for numerous times.

Oh and I'll be skeptical til he signs given JP has been silently committed to 4 diferent schools at various points.

9 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Have you ever not been a bitter old man?

Not at all bitter. Fortunately, I've had nothing to be bitter about. Good wife and family, no financial worries, good farm to retire on, two good horses to ride and three good dogs for company in the woods. One dog even likes to go in the boat when I'm fishing in the farm ponds. He can spot those big bass under water!

Are you a bitter person? You do seem to be unhappy at times. You have exhibited a certain lack of attention to details. Is that due to the bitterness that occupies your thoughts?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Oh and I'll be skeptical til he signs given JP has been silently committed to 4 diferent schools at various points.

If there has ever been any doubt, this certainly confirms how much those "silent commits" are worth. I wonder which schools he has jilted?

8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I wonder which schools he has jilted?

Is that asking which schools he has been committed to silently? At various points it’s been FSU, LSU, Tennessee, and Auburn.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Is that asking which schools he has been committed to silently? At various points it’s been FSU, LSU, Tennessee, and Auburn.

And....so much for the value of a silent commit! I think I'll bookmark this page to use when the football cycle heats up and people start speculating about all the silent commits AU has lined up.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Not at all bitter. Fortunately, I've had nothing to be bitter about. Good wife and family, no financial worries, good farm to retire on, two good horses to ride and three good dogs for company in the woods. One dog even likes to go in the boat when I'm fishing in the farm ponds. He can spot those big bass under water!

Are you a bitter person? You do seem to be unhappy at times. You have exhibited a certain lack of attention to details. Is that due to the bitterness that occupies your thoughts?

I guess maybe it's subjective what, exactly, constitutes bitter. Suggesting that 18-22 year old brains work so much differently that the players won't be able to gauge their role on the team probably comes close, however.

• Facepalm 1

Honestly...I'm ready for this to be over. I'll be disappointed if Phillips doesn't come to Auburn, but at this point, let's just get the roster set and let the boys start working out together in the summer.

• Like 1