2022 5* Wing/Big Julian Phillips Commits to Vols

ellitor

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

Honestly...I'm ready for this to be over. I'll be disappointed if Phillips doesn't come to Auburn, but at this point, let's just get the roster set and let the boys start working out together in the summer.

At this point it just seems he is not going to come here. Our best bet to get his signature seemingly was right after the Auburn OV when AU guys thought he would pop for us then or even on his visit. The longer it got drug out the less confident the AU's side became according to mods on AU sites. We never seem to do well in these long drawn out recruitments that are roller coaster rides and twist and turns for a 5 star high school recruit. One of the last ones I remember us winning like this was the Byron Cowart saga. And although it was several years ago still exhausts me!!! lmao. And it was all for nothing as he did absolutely NOTHING at Auburn! Crazy that he has been a starter in the NFL though  for some parts of his professional career. 

And the signs have always been there the whole time but I talked myself in to thinking he was coming here lol. When in reality THIS DUDE COMMITTED TO WILL FREAKING WADE of all people the first time. His camp is clearly all about the up front guaranteed biggest NIL package. And with it seeming to be pretty common knowledge that Rocky Top is offering more than us it is pretty clear and obvious he is going to Knoxville.......... SMH.

Edited by GwillMac6

I’d love to have his talent but if he’s playing a money game then I worry he’ll not be a good locker room fit.  Team chemistry has been important to our success. A guy looking for just a bit more money could be difficult.  Guess we’ll see …

this also screams of people in his ear giving him “advice” which could continue to be a problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

We never seem to do well in these long drawn out recruitments that are roller coaster rides and twist and turns for a 5 star high school recruit.

Gotta break the streak at some point and now seems like a great time.  Bruce is the man to break it because I sure would not depend on Harsin to do it any time soon.

5 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Honestly...I'm ready for this to be over. I'll be disappointed if Phillips doesn't come to Auburn, but at this point, let's just get the roster set and let the boys start working out together in the summer.

Haha. How you liking amateur athletics now? Auburn will continue to get out-bid by other schools( even the Tennessee’s of the world). So, get used to disappointment.

Not even the mighty Bruce, who I love, by the way, can out-recruit the almighty dollar. But hey, that’s what we wanted for these high school stars, right!

Edited by jluvah
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, jluvah said:

Haha. How you liking amateur athletics now? Auburn will continue to get out-bid by other schools( even the Tennessee’s of the world). So, get used to disappointment.

Not even the mighty Bruce, who I love, by the way, can out-recruit the almighty dollar. But hey, that’s what we wanted for these high school stars, right!

I like college athletics just fine. It's not the getting out-bid (if that's what's going down...I haven't really been paying attention), it's the drawn out nature of the process. That didn't start with the NIL business.

BTW, we've already signed one 5 star and another guy who is just off of being a 5 star. It's not like Phillips is going to make or break our entire recruiting class or anything.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Maybe not in the short term but he can sell more development which means a lot more dollars in the not to distant long term.

Especially defensively. That's a trademark of Bruce players. Every one of Bruce's first rounders while he's been at Auburn has been outstanding to elite on the defensive side.

4 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Especially defensively. That's a trademark of Bruce players. Every one of Bruce's first rounders while he's been at Auburn has been outstanding to elite on the defensive side.

Would be interesting to see how that plays out if he chooses AU because while he has the talent to play good D he hasn't shown a consistent desire too. The other 1st rounders already had the desire to play great D before they came to AU.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I guess maybe it's subjective what, exactly, constitutes bitter. Suggesting that 18-22 year old brains work so much differently that the players won't be able to gauge their role on the team probably comes close, however.

https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/encyclopedia/content.aspx?ContentTypeID=1&ContentID=3051

The rational part of a teen’s brain isn’t fully developed and won’t be until age 25 or so.

In fact, recent research has found that adult and teen brains work differently. Adults think with the prefrontal cortex, the brain’s rational part. This is the part of the brain that responds to situations with good judgment and an awareness of long-term consequences. Teens process information with the amygdala. This is the emotional part.

This is just one of hundreds of scientific studies about brain development in teenagers and young adults. Their brains don't work the same as a mature adults. You think they understand their role on the team? According to one recruiter I used to know, every single college basketball prospect thinks he'll be an NBA star after a year in college. That's rational?

It all depends on JP's current priorities -> $ now = UT or G league vs high-level development and some $ = AU. He could be the next Jabari Smith or the next BHH...

UT desperately needs to land JP while we are in a great position, adding Westry, Yohan, and Broome is huge and we could still add another one. Bruce has a plan B for sure. 

Edited by AUreo
  • Like 2

On the “high level development” thing, you’d have to say the G League does that as well. Jalen Green was ready. Kuminga looks better than expected. And Scoot is projected to be a top fiver next year. They’re doing the job of prepping guys. 

• Like 4

We are in good shape if we don't sign him worse case we go with the players we have then the last scholarship that we have to not use is gone that means from here on out we have all of our scholarships to use and loss of 1 scholarship twice will have had minimal impact or if we don't sign him Bruce finds another player that fits his needs and we are better then where we are right now. 

Right now we have multiple players who can play multiple positions giving us a lot of flexibility.

Broome - Center or PF

Cardwell - Center

Stretch - Center

Williams - PF and Center

Traore - PF or Center and maybe SF 

Westry - PG, SG and maybe SF

Flanigan - SF and SG

Moore - SF and PF

Green - PG and SG

Donaldson - PG and SG 

KD - SG

Zep - PG and SG

Phillips would be icing on the cake but is not a necessity. 

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mikey said:

https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/encyclopedia/content.aspx?ContentTypeID=1&ContentID=3051

The rational part of a teen’s brain isn’t fully developed and won’t be until age 25 or so.

In fact, recent research has found that adult and teen brains work differently. Adults think with the prefrontal cortex, the brain’s rational part. This is the part of the brain that responds to situations with good judgment and an awareness of long-term consequences. Teens process information with the amygdala. This is the emotional part.

This is just one of hundreds of scientific studies about brain development in teenagers and young adults. Their brains don't work the same as a mature adults. You think they understand their role on the team? According to one recruiter I used to know, every single college basketball prospect thinks he'll be an NBA star after a year in college. That's rational?

Yes, I'm fully aware of the textbook definitions. It's not that they aren't different, it's that they aren't SO different that they can't understand. They've been understanding their role on the team since the beginning of college athletics, they just never put a number on it quite the same way before.

2 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

We are in good shape if we don't sign him worse case we go with the players we have then the last scholarship that we have to not use is gone that means from here on out we have all of our scholarships to use and loss of 1 scholarship twice will have had minimal impact or if we don't sign him Bruce finds another player that fits his needs and we are better then where we are right now. 

Right now we have multiple players who can play multiple positions giving us a lot of flexibility.

Broome - Center or PF

Cardwell - Center

Stretch - Center

Williams - PF and Center

Traore - PF or Center and maybe SF 

Westry - PG, SG and maybe SF

Flanigan - SF and SG

Moore - SF and PF

Green - PG and SG

Zep - PG and SG

Donaldson - PG and SG 

KD - SG

Zep - PG and SG

Phillips would be icing on the cake but is not a necessity. 

You put Zep on there twice. Pretty sure we only get one of him this year. :laugh:

But you're absolutely right. We're a championship contender right now, Phillips or not.

41 minutes ago, Mikey said:

That study is a generality.  I am not doubting it is true in general but each person is different based on what this report said then Jabari would have gone G-League for big money but he was rational and looked at the long term he saw how Bruce had developed players at his position and determined that was best for him.  

I also think outside influences also have a big impact on a players decision. Jabari's dad had played in the NBA and I am sure helped guide him other players have advisor's who even though they might be Adults look for the quick money and not what is in best interest of the player.

I am not saying G-League can't develop you but it depends on which team and which coach you go to where in picking Auburn he got a coach with a proven record of developing players and improving their draft stock.

6 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

You put Zep on there twice. Pretty sure we only get one of him this year. :laugh:

But you're absolutely right. We're a championship contender right now, Phillips or not.

Sorry about that I must like him a lot. LOL I will fix it.

• Thanks 1

Getting Phillips would be the chef's kiss, if we don't I'm happy where we're at.

1 hour ago, mcgufcm said:

On the “high level development” thing, you’d have to say the G League does that as well. Jalen Green was ready. Kuminga looks better than expected. And Scoot is projected to be a top fiver next year. They’re doing the job of prepping guys. 

But no college parties. 😉

2 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

Yeah the “exposure” angle is a bit overstated. Exposure matters to some of them, not all 

If money is the tipping point for this kid, I can honestly say I don't want him.  I'm not anti-NIL, but if it's all about money for you, just go to the G-league.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AUreo said:

-> New update: UT leads according to Shaw

Hoke posted his informed hunch about the same time it would be the Vols as well.