2022 5* Wing/Big Julian Phillips Commits to Vols

ellitor

9 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

5* Julian Phillips just scheduled an official visit to Auburn!

Eh I am getting bored with all of the 5*'s we are getting now.  Tag me when we start landing 6*'s.

• Haha 8

12 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

5* Julian Phillips just scheduled an official visit to Auburn!

If we get him do we still go after Broome?  I hope so as Phillips is more of a SF as is Westry. That would probably leave us with Flanigan, KD,  and Greene as SG with a healthy and confident Flanigan with the most upside. We have a chance to be better than this year even though we are losing two great players in Smith and Kessler.

If we get Phillips and Broome who transfers out and don't they have to do it by May 1st to be able to transfer without sitting a year?

58 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

If we get him do we still go after Broome?  I hope so as Phillips is more of a SF as is Westry. That would probably leave us with Flanigan, KD,  and Greene as SG with a healthy and confident Flanigan with the most upside. We have a chance to be better than this year even though we are losing two great players in Smith and Kessler.

If we get Phillips and Broome who transfers out and don't they have to do it by May 1st to be able to transfer without sitting a year?

I would hate for someone like Jaylin Williams to leave, but you have to say yes to Phillips and Broome if both wants to come. Phillips is so versatile and will cause mismatches especially if he plays the 3 position.  Broome is so good around the rim and probably have more offensive skills than Kessler. This team could be really good next season. Westry's shooting ability and getting to the rim is another weapon Auburn would have. Games against Tennessee, Kentucky, Arkansas and Alabama will be primetime games as they all have great players coming in also.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

If we get him do we still go after Broome? 

@AuburnNTexasYes. Broome is a center/replacement for Kess for us. Phillips is a wing /3  (replace Cambridge & may be an upgrade from Flan & Moore also.) & may play some 4 for us.

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Nobody has to. We have 2 open schollies now & still have 3 years to absorb the 1 more scholly penalty from the NCAA. And yes transfers have to be gone by May 1 to not have to sit.

Volnation thread on Phillips is pretty entertaining. They're pretty emotionally invested in him. Apparently they were feeling pretty good about their chances 'cuz they have made him a good NIL offer and they have been on him for a long time.  Now they are oscillating between hope and despair because he's visiting us and they are familiar with the Bruce magic.  They are still trying to get over losing Jabari and Kessler to us.  Anyway, all the hatred and angst for Auburn made me laugh. It's like ten pages in the last 24 hours.   I'd like to see us get Phillips just to enjoy the meltdown over there. But he is a good fit for us.  He could slide right into the 3 spot. That would free up Westry to play the 2 and that would be ideal. Then if Flanagan regains form, it's all upside.  We will see. It will take some serious Bruce magic to pull this one off.

Edited by Cardin Drake
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Cardin Drake said:

Volnation thread on Phillips is pretty entertaining. They're pretty emotionally invested in him. Apparently they were feeling pretty good about their chances 'cuz they have made him a good NIL offer and they have been on him for a long time.  Now they are oscillating between hope and despair because he's visiting us and they are familiar with the Bruce magic.  They are still trying to get over losing Jabari and Kessler to us.  Anyway, all the hatred and angst for Auburn made me laugh. It's like ten pages in the last 24 hours.   I'd like to see us get Phillips just to enjoy the meltdown over there. But he is a good fit for us.  He could slide right into the 3 spot. That would free up Westry to play the 2 and that would be ideal. Then if Flanagan regains form, it's all upside.  We will see. It will take some serious Bruce magic to pull this one off.

I would be interested to see how all that gets figured out lineup wise. A lot of flexibility and options with Traore and Phil 

5 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

It will take some serious Bruce magic to pull this one off.

Or just show him the wings/ stretch 4s we have & are putting in the league & compare it to there's. No contest.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

Volnation thread on Phillips is pretty entertaining. They're pretty emotionally invested in him. Apparently they were feeling pretty good about their chances 'cuz they have made him a good NIL offer and they have been on him for a long time.  Now they are oscillating between hope and despair because he's visiting us and they are familiar with the Bruce magic.  They are still trying to get over losing Jabari and Kessler to us.  Anyway, all the hatred and angst for Auburn made me laugh. It's like ten pages in the last 24 hours.  

Yes, it’s crazy. They act like Auburn athletic recruiting equals “Pete Carroll’s USC + Duke Basketball” or something, very entertaining for sure... 😆

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AUreo said:

Yes, it’s crazy. They act like Auburn athletic recruiting equals “Pete Carroll’s USC + Duke Basketball” or something, very entertaining for sure... 😆

I'll take that as a compliment.

The comment about “development “ not being an enticement when playing for Coach Pearl is probably the funniest of the thread. I mean Chuma, Ike Okoro, Coop, Smith and Kessler will be first rounders. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, AUreo said:

I'd just say that at this point there is no reason for anybody to be a silent commit. They can just go ahead and sign.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, aubearcat said:

The comment about “development “ not being an enticement when playing for Coach Pearl is probably the funniest of the thread. I mean Chuma, Ike Okoro, Coop, Smith and Kessler will be first rounders. 

Well, to be fair, Jabari was going to be a top 4 pick anyway, but Chuma and Okoro put the lie to developmental issues.

9 hours ago, AUreo said:

Why would anyone be a silent commit at this stage? I mean, if you're committed, go ahead and sign on the dotted line...

2 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Well, to be fair, Jabari was going to be a top 4 pick anyway, but Chuma and Okoro put the lie to developmental issues.

True enough. I think Kessler developed well. Perhaps he’d have had a great season at Carolina as well but he surely flourished under Bruce. 

9 hours ago, aubearcat said:

True enough. I think Kessler developed well. Perhaps he’d have had a great season at Carolina as well but he surely flourished under Bruce. 

Oh, no doubt, but he still benefitted from his year at UNC, too, because he arrived as the best fundamental big man Bruce has had at Auburn, and I'm not entirely sure he would have had the back to the basket skills he does if he'd come to Auburn out of high school.

But the reason I didn't include him is that I don't know that he climbed the charts a whole lot from his ranking as a high school recruit since he was a 5 star. Chuma and Isaac were both high 4 stars who became lottery picks (I know Chuma was technically just outside of the lottery, but I think that's primarily because of his injury, so I still count him).

• Like 3

From what I saw, the guy they reference in that thread doesn’t say the phrase silent commit 

he said that Phillips would end up at Auburn 

edit: “Fwiw was told tonight that Phillips isn’t coming here, will end up at Auburn…as I’ve said a few times with this recruitment hope to be wrong, but not feeling good.”

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Like 1
  • Love 2

If he loses we don’t want him anyway! Am I right? 😝 

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I’ll play him one on one right now. He wins he commits, he loses I commit. 

Well....I was going to say this was the comment of the week.....but.

1 hour ago, toddc said:

If he loses we don’t want him anyway! I’m I right? 😝 

This greatness directly followed lol.

• Like 2

🤣😂😆

• Haha 9

https://www.instagram.com/p/CcyYFIOFq3V/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

JP and BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCE riding together around campus in a golf cart from Monday.

• Like 1