2022 5* Wing/Big Julian Phillips Commits to Vols

ellitor

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

If money is the tipping point for this kid, I can honestly say I don't want him.  I'm not anti-NIL, but if it's all about money for you, just go to the G-league.

Well he did commit to Will Wade the 1st time around, so I am not surprised that money is a factor.

Second, from what Hoke and others are saying, we don't have the highest offer, so if he picks AU then it will be about good money now and the best opportunity for later. And if Bruce wants him, then I'll be super excited to have him on board, because I think he's a great fit. 

Lastly, I don't blame him. Some of the scouts on 247 suggest that he has a top 10 ceiling, but that he still needs a lot of development, or in other words, he's not a lock to be a 1 and done type prospect like Jabari. Given that he's the last 5 star available and seems to be a better shooter with a higher upside than most SFs left in the portal, he has a lot of leverage. I'm guessing a lot of people would wait it out and see if they can get as much as possible from their 1st choice. And if their 1st choice isn't competitive, it would be hard to turn away a higher offer from a strong 2nd or 3rd choice, especially if you don't plan to stick around for more than 2 years.  

Too bad trolls just get to amp people up with no consequences.  Throat punches to those that do.  Its what they deserve.  Ahh, the anonymity of the interwebs...lol Bag-o-Douche...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tigerfinz said:

Too bad trolls just get to amp people up with no consequences.  Throat punches to those that do.  Its what they deserve.  Ahh, the anonymity of the interwebs...lol Bag-o-Douche...

Well I do hope people weren’t too angered by an obvious troll like that guy. If so, this is just an unfortunate introductory lesson to the internet 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guru's posts & posts from others quoting his posts from today have been removed. Let's not give him any more attention or satisfaction by discussing him further.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, HAPvsOA said:

Well he did commit to Will Wade the 1st time around, so I am not surprised that money is a factor.

Second, from what Hoke and others are saying, we don't have the highest offer, so if he picks AU then it will be about good money now and the best opportunity for later. And if Bruce wants him, then I'll be super excited to have him on board, because I think he's a great fit. 

Lastly, I don't blame him. Some of the scouts on 247 suggest that he has a top 10 ceiling, but that he still needs a lot of development, or in other words, he's not a lock to be a 1 and done type prospect like Jabari. Given that he's the last 5 star available and seems to be a better shooter with a higher upside than most SFs left in the portal, he has a lot of leverage. I'm guessing a lot of people would wait it out and see if they can get as much as possible from their 1st choice. And if their 1st choice isn't competitive, it would be hard to turn away a higher offer from a strong 2nd or 3rd choice, especially if you don't plan to stick around for more than 2 years.  

If development matters, then it's Auburn or the G-League.  If it's money and development (without having to waste time going to class), then maybe the G-League over Auburn.  If it's just money, then I guess he'll go with UT.  But there's no way you look at the string of Okeke, Okoro, Sharife, Thor and soon to be Jabari and Kessler and think you're getting better development under Barnes.

2 hours ago, Rednilla said:

We're a championship contender right now

Respectfully disagree here. Let's say Flan comes back to 2020 form which is a big question mark. He would still need someone to give him a breather at times. We still have C-Mo but he's coming of an injury. Westry has played much more G than SF so he may not be ready to handle the physicality of the SF position. At the very least we need to add a guy for quality depth at the SF. Also if Flan doesn't bounce back & Westry isn't ready to play SF in the SEC we need to straight up upgrade the SF position.

Also to be a championship contender in the SEC Tourney & NCAA T guard play has got to be very good at minimum. Our Gs can develop to where the team is a championship contender but not knowing their development or how Flan bounces back we are not a championship com=ntender as the roster is today.

45 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

If development matters, then it's Auburn or the G-League.  If it's money and development (without having to waste time going to class), then maybe the G-League over Auburn.  If it's just money, then I guess he'll go with UT.  But there's no way you look at the string of Okeke, Okoro, Sharife, Thor and soon to be Jabari and Kessler and think you're getting better development under Barnes.

One of the few things you post I can agree with 🤗 

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

Dolla bills, y'all.

Get used to it. That's the new reality of "college" athletics. 

• Like 2

Money, money, money, money, MONEY!

Get back!

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

If development matters, then it's Auburn or the G-League.  If it's money and development (without having to waste time going to class), then maybe the G-League over Auburn.  If it's just money, then I guess he'll go with UT.

Yep, you were right. It sounds like it was just money. When asked why he chose the Vols....

"Just how they handle their business on the basketball side," he said of what stood out on his official visit....." 

Hate to see him in conference. We’ll just have to kick their ass again. But I don’t begrudge the kid or UT for maximizing his dollars. It’s allowed under the current rules.

I’ll be interested to see if we burn that scholarship or pivot to someone like AJ Green to get another shooter. 

• Like 1

• augolf1716 changed the title to ***2022 5* Wing/Big Julian Phillips Commits to UT***
  • ellitor changed the title to 2022 5* Wing/Big Julian Phillips Commits to Vols
1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

If we weren’t already paying for the class we got, I’m 101% sure we outbid Tennessee 

I think so too lol.

NIL, this is what college sports are now.

LSU outbid Tennessee the first go around.

Tennessee outbid us and the GLeague this time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Hate to see him in conference. We’ll just have to kick their ass again. But I don’t begrudge the kid or UT for maximizing his dollars. It’s allowed under the current rules.

I’ll be interested to see if we burn that scholarship or pivot to someone like AJ Green to get another shooter. 

AJ Green as in the point guard from UNI? 

I still think we need a 2/3 that can hit 3's. Perhaps a Matthew Mayer if he can play the 3, a Pete Nance from Northwestern that is 6'10', has 1 year left and made 45% of his 3's last year, or maybe a Malachi Smith (from Chattanooga). 

Also, players like Josh Minott, Patrick Baldwin Jr or Keion Brooks would likely be too good to pass up if they don't stay in the draft, but only Baldwin seems like a great outside shooter and he'd likely be a 1st rounder, so not sure he'll come back to college. 

7 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

The student section will absolutely be on his ass in Neville and this team will be motivated to boatrace the hillbillies.

• Like 1