2022 5* Wing/Big Julian Phillips Commits to Vols

ellitor

5 minutes ago, HAPvsOA said:

AJ Green as in the point guard from UNI? 

Looks like he's more of a 2G. That's where On3 lists him.

28 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Looks like he's more of a 2G. That's where On3 lists him.

I see. 247 had him listed as the No. 4 PG with 100% CB to Iowa State. 

But 9/15 from 3 in the NIT, 18.8 ppg for the year, and 2.5 apg, makes him sound more like a sharp-shooting SG. If he can play D, then it would be a good fit. But I am guessing he may want a spot with more playing time

• Like 1

Oh well can't win them all. I wouldn't mind to see us just eat the scholly and be done with the sanctions. I like the depth of the team we have. A sharpshooter would be nice to have but i think we can have a really good team even if we can't find that guy.

1 hour ago, Mike2686 said:

I think so too lol.

NIL, this is what college sports are now.

LSU outbid Tennessee the first go around.

Tennessee outbid us and the GLeague this time.

I think we have enough money allotted currently + the NBA factor to where we’ll be fine. And the guys who don’t want to sit behind the well paid superstars will be stars for some mid major. The top 150 programs or so will be fine 

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Respectfully disagree here. Let's say Flan comes back to 2020 form which is a big question mark. He would still need someone to give him a breather at times. We still have C-Mo but he's coming of an injury. Westry has played much more G than SF so he may not be ready to handle the physicality of the SF position. At the very least we need to add a guy for quality depth at the SF. Also if Flan doesn't bounce back & Westry isn't ready to play SF in the SEC we need to straight up upgrade the SF position.

Also to be a championship contender in the SEC Tourney & NCAA T guard play has got to be very good at minimum. Our Gs can develop to where the team is a championship contender but not knowing their development or how Flan bounces back we are not a championship com=ntender as the roster is today.

Okay, yeah, we'll be banking on CMo to come back strong if we don't add anyone else, but what are you hearing, e? Is there anyone else out there who fits that we're after right now?

8 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

what are you hearing, e?

No hearing/reading anything yet.

9 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Is there anyone else out there who fits that we're after right now?

Probably going to wait to see who withdraws from the draft next month. There will be quality options available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HAPvsOA said:

I see. 247 had him listed as the No. 4 PG with 100% CB to Iowa State. 

But 9/15 from 3 in the NIT, 18.8 ppg for the year, and 2.5 apg, makes him sound more like a sharp-shooting SG. If he can play D, then it would be a good fit. But I am guessing he may want a spot with more playing time

Dang, he actually kinda fits what I felt like we were needing better than Phillips anyway. Not that I wouldn't have rather had Phillips, just that this guy shot just under 40% from 3 the two years of full game play after his freshman campaign, and he shoots better than 90% from the charity stripe. He's listed at 6'4, so at the very least he provides some length for the wing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Probably going to wait to see who withdraws from the draft next month. There will be quality options available.

What, exactly, would you say that we are in the market for? A sharp shooting wing? Seems like I remember that being the scouting report for our basic need.

9 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

What, exactly, would you say that we are in the market for?

Don't know. My guess would be a good wing & one that preferably shoot the 3 ball.

3 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

So we need a better shooting Devan Cambridge?

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Call me crazy, but going after and possibly getting Mayer excites me as much as Phillips. There was alot of potential with Phillips and alot of unknowns. I see Mayer as someone that can address some of the glaring issues we had last year. Is his defense any good?

55 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

Is his defense any good?

@KansasTigerYes. Graded 4th best in the nation at his position last year per advanced metrics.

• Like 1

So do we have the $ to compete in recruiting? I know Tennessee was desperate in this case but still, with how bad football recruiting has been, can't help but feel uneasy.

Edited by AUwent

12 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

That study is a generality.  I am not doubting it is true in general but each person is different based on what this report said then Jabari would have gone G-League for big money but he was rational and looked at the long term he saw how Bruce had developed players at his position and determined that was best for him. 

Jabari was an exception in that he didn't need the money and as you pointed out, his "handlers" (dad)had experience and didn't need the money either. I speculate that had Jabari not had such a background and had his handlers been the normal hangers-on he'd have taken the money. 

8 hours ago, AUwent said:

So do we have the $ to compete in recruiting? I know Tennessee was desperate in this case but still, with how bad football recruiting has been, can't help but feel uneasy.

At some point you’ve got to weigh the $ they’re seeking against the value added to the team.  As a projected late bloomer, but also one/done maybe everyone agreed he wasn’t worth $2 mil…maybe Bruce thinks he should/could get much more for that figure. If I’m making that kind of ask from the money people I’d want to asssure them that the production received will make a difference.

Edited by AUDevil
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, AUwent said:

So do we have the $ to compete in recruiting?

@AUwentYes. Just a matter if we use it. JP was worth $2 mil for the Vols but not to us. The Vols desparately needed him. We didn't. The Vols were so desparate to get him they would have kept ourbidding us by a landslide to get him.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@AUwentYes. Just a matter if we use it. JP was worth $2 mil for the Vols but not to us. The Vols desparately needed him. We didn't. The Vols were so desparate to get him they would have kept ourbidding us by a landslide to get him.

I feel this was absolutely true.  We have a nice class without Phillips and Tennessee was a bust without him.This should have been an easy decision for Phillips, but I really think he genuinely wanted to come play for Auburn and Bruce, all things being equal.  Oddly enough, that worked to his advantage in extracting money from Tennessee.  Phillips handlers played this perfectly, and I suspect a lot of kids took note. Signing late and getting your suitors into a bidding war will become more common if the NCAA doesn't come up with some way to control the process and cap the amounts paid.  I can't even be upset at Phillips and his folks for this. It was just smart.  $2 million is life-changing money for most people.  I think Phillips will eventually have an NBA career, but there are no guarantees even for talented kids.

Edited by Cardin Drake
  • Like 1

One last comment on Phillips.  NBA draft room lists him as 6' 7" and projects him as a 2nd round pick in 2023 or 2024.  He is a smallish SF with guard-like skills, but that isn't really that rare a commodity in the NBA.  By contrast, Chance is listed as 6' 6" and has true point guard handles.  That is a rare commodity in the NBA, and is why they project him as a first round pick.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

One last comment on Phillips.  NBA draft room lists him as 6' 7" and projects him as a 2nd round pick in 2023 or 2024.  He is a smallish SF with guard-like skills, but that isn't really that rare a commodity in the NBA.  By contrast, Chance is listed as 6' 6" and has true point guard handles.  That is a rare commodity in the NBA, and is why they project him as a first round pick.

One site's recent update has him 15th overall in the 1st round. Can't remember the site. Maybe @AUreodoes.

18 hours ago, KansasTiger said:

Call me crazy, but going after and possibly getting Mayer excites me as much as Phillips. There was alot of potential with Phillips and alot of unknowns. I see Mayer as someone that can address some of the glaring issues we had last year. Is his defense any good?

Yeah, the scouts were saying that Phillips has a very high ceiling, but still needs quite a bit of development to reach that potential (projected more as a 2 and done than a 1 and done). So Mayer would likely lead to more wins right away, but it's likely Mayer would be a 1 and done. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

One site's recent update has him 15th overall in the 1st round. Can't remember the site. Maybe @AUreodoes.

I think it’s ESPN…

14 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

I feel this was absolutely true.  We have a nice class without Phillips and Tennessee was a bust without him.This should have been an easy decision for Phillips, but I really think he genuinely wanted to come play for Auburn and Bruce, all things being equal.  Oddly enough, that worked to his advantage in extracting money from Tennessee.  Phillips handlers played this perfectly, and I suspect a lot of kids took note. Signing late and getting your suitors into a bidding war will become more common if the NCAA doesn't come up with some way to control the process and cap the amounts paid.  I can't even be upset at Phillips and his folks for this. It was just smart.  $2 million is life-changing money for most people.  I think Phillips will eventually have an NBA career, but there are no guarantees even for talented kids.

The problem, as I see it, for Phillips is exactly how much was lost going to Barnes instead of Pearl? Will he be as high a pick as he would have been had he come to Auburn?