thoughts?

aubiefifty

This season, we saw a drop in 3P% from almost our entire backcourt

renderTimingPixel.png

I'm currently taking a break from working on a scientific presentation, so I decided to look at Auburn's 3 point shooting issues. What I noticed is that, except for Zep, all of our returning backcourt players/transfers experienced a drop in accuracy between the last two seasons:

Player 2020-2021 2021-2022
KD Johnson 38.7 29
Wendell Greene 36.4 31.7
Devin Cambridge 28.7 22.1
Alan Flanigan 33.8 20.5
Zep Jasper 34.5

• Like 2

i got this from reddit and would give credit but names are made up. i have no idea if this is legit but it appears to be and i thought you guys would get i kick out of discussing it.

apparently it got worse the last two months of the season if this stuff is legit. here is another guys reply........

level 1
AU16         ..............this is the poster who replied this to save any confusion

· 16 hr. ago

It gets even worse if you narrow it down to the last 2 months. We completely fell off a cliff offensively the last 2 months of the season and our 3 pt shooting was mostly to blame. Here are the stats from Feb-Mar:

KD: 18% (10-56)

Wendell: 28% (21-74)

Devin: 15% (4-27)

Allen: 18% (4-22)

Zep: 43% (9-21)

Every player except Jabari and Zep (arguable to due to how low his shooting volume is) regressed offensively at the time of the season where we needed to be peaking. It isn't entirely clear what happened but the whole offensive gameplan seemed to just collapse down the stretch.

i would like to say this is from an auburn fan on reddit.
Edited by aubiefifty

12 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

apparently it got worse the last two months of the season if this stuff is legit. here is another guys reply........

level 1
AU16         ..............this is the poster who replied this to save any confusion

· 16 hr. ago

It gets even worse if you narrow it down to the last 2 months. We completely fell off a cliff offensively the last 2 months of the season and our 3 pt shooting was mostly to blame. Here are the stats from Feb-Mar:

KD: 18% (10-56)

Wendell: 28% (21-74)

Devin: 15% (4-27)

Allen: 18% (4-22)

Zep: 43% (9-21)

Every player except Jabari and Zep (arguable to due to how low his shooting volume is) regressed offensively at the time of the season where we needed to be peaking. It isn't entirely clear what happened but the whole offensive gameplan seemed to just collapse down the stretch.

i would like to say this is from an auburn fan on reddit.

Don't doubt it. I didn't bother to check the stats, but all year I thought that if we had Jared and Bryce with our bigs........OH MY!!!!

ps Auburn was the best team and the probable winner in the tournament in 2019, when zebras forgot what double dribble was. And a guy coming from standing out of bounds to get a rebound and a put back at the half. 

Yes. I am still bitter. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Many transfers and new guys (relatively young team) who never really understood each other’s strengths/weaknesses and tendencies, so they got nervous and took too many shots instead of playing as a team (offensively)? We also played tougher teams during the second half of the season and opponents started to figure us out... this team was mentally exhausted late in the season (again relatively young team).

• Like 1

Said this before and will say it again that majority of the season this team had alot of success driving the paint and drawing fouls left and right. Around the mizzou game , the league began to allow more physical play and it hurt our style of play big time. Guys started settling for deeper shots and we were not a good shooting team. Is what it is

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'd be curious to hear from those of you who know the Xs & Os of basketball well. Earlier in the season we had a lot of success with what I think of as "pick & roll" plays, mainly Wendell to Walker. I think after the Kentucky game Bruce called what we were doing a "double high stack" (or something close to that). We beat Kentucky solidly doing that. We also came back to beat St. Louis doing it, & used it a lot in other games. And then we didn't. I've assumed defenses took that away from us, but now I'm asking from those of you who know these things if my assumption is on target? And if it is, then I'm wondering if there's no way to counter what defenses were doing, or were we just dead in the water when they took 1 of our best offensive sets away? I'll hang up & listen.  :)

1 hour ago, TigerTennis80 said:

I'd be curious to hear from those of you who know the Xs & Os of basketball well. Earlier in the season we had a lot of success with what I think of as "pick & roll" plays, mainly Wendell to Walker. I think after the Kentucky game Bruce called what we were doing a "double high stack" (or something close to that). We beat Kentucky solidly doing that. We also came back to beat St. Louis doing it, & used it a lot in other games. And then we didn't. I've assumed defenses took that away from us, but now I'm asking from those of you who know these things if my assumption is on target? And if it is, then I'm wondering if there's no way to counter what defenses were doing, or were we just dead in the water when they took 1 of our best offensive sets away? I'll hang up & listen.  :)

That's what I have thought too.  The last two months we had one guy who could make a jump shot from any range.  When he went cold we were dead in the water.

The year we made the final four run, one of the stories was Bryce Brown’s work ethic. He spent hours practicing his 3 point shot.  The past two years, we have not heard anything about that kind of work ethic. 

Edited by aucosby

Another thing about their poor 3 pt shooting %s is type of shot it would be better to take especially in critical situations. 

whatever happened to the fake outside shot, dribble a couple more steps and shoot a higher % shot w less defensive pressure?

I noticed in the tournament many good shooters make that move and make basically an uncontested 12-15 shot. 

I never seen our guards have that in their aresenal. Everything has to be a 3. 

35 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Another thing about their poor 3 pt shooting %s is type of shot it would be better to take especially in critical situations. 

whatever happened to the fake outside shot, dribble a couple more steps and shoot a higher % shot w less defensive pressure?

I noticed in the tournament many good shooters make that move and make basically an uncontested 12-15 shot. 

I never seen our guards have that in their aresenal. Everything has to be a 3. 

Yep. Not many have a midrange jumper anymore. Those shots don't make ESPN highlights. Only dunks and downtown 3s are highlighted 

I’m not sure it’s as simple as lower 3 percentage.  Other teams started defending our guards harder … therefore lower 3’s AND higher turnovers plus less flow to the O.

I’ll say it again … we were shariffe cooper skill set from final 4.  It was more about ball control and creativity, more so than missed 3’s.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, aucosby said:

The year we made the final four run, one of the stories was Bryce Brown’s work ethic. He spent hours practicing his 3 point shot.  The past two years, we have not heard anything about that kind of work ethic. 

This is just absolutely untrue. Plenty of articles about Wendell and Jabari’s 6am workouts, and KD shooting immediately after games. Ridiculous to claim our guys can’t shoot because they don’t practice. Bryce Brown is the second leading 3pt shooter in SEC history, unfortunately not everyone can just work hard and get to that point.

Edited by Dunndone414
  • Like 2

It was a combination of things. It was not in any way related to players not working on their shots. Teams starting rotating offside defender better to stop the Kessler Roll so we needed to pass to him before defender got there. Bigger guards got in our guards face affecting their vision and also taking away their drive to basket as they learned our players tendencies. We started using Jabari more.  Also to often we waited to long to start our offense . We came down pick and roll wasn't there but instead of starting ball movement with a pass we backed out dribbling so as clock ran out we put up contested 3's with a bigger guard on our shooter.  

Other things as other teams saw that trapping our PG with 2 big guards as he crossed half court was very effective in stopping our momentum and slowing down getting into our offense or leading to a turnover. Then some good shots just didn't go down and you have what happened at the end of the year.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, aucosby said:

There were videos earlier in the season of KD staying after a game and putting up free throws cause he was disappointed in his performance from the line. Do not try to discredit this team or put them down saying they don't have good work ethic when that's clearly not the case.

And just cause I like showing receipts for people who don't want to look:

https://www.on3.com/teams/auburn-tigers/news/bruce-pearl-previews-hardest-working-team-charles-barkley/

This is an article from 6 months ago where Bruce Pearl calls this his hardest working team.

Edited by tgrogan21

On 3/28/2022 at 1:17 PM, AuburnNTexas said:

It was a combination of things. It was not in any way related to players not working on their shots. Teams starting rotating offside defender better to stop the Kessler Roll so we needed to pass to him before defender got there. Bigger guards got in our guards face affecting their vision and also taking away their drive to basket as they learned our players tendencies. We started using Jabari more.  Also to often we waited to long to start our offense . We came down pick and roll wasn't there but instead of starting ball movement with a pass we backed out dribbling so as clock ran out we put up contested 3's with a bigger guard on our shooter.  

Other things as other teams saw that trapping our PG with 2 big guards as he crossed half court was very effective in stopping our momentum and slowing down getting into our offense or leading to a turnover. Then some good shots just didn't go down and you have what happened at the end of the year.

All of what you stated is true, and so is jmassie11 s post about the officiating. I heard some guru on sirius state that the NCAA was determined to take the physicality out of the game, and it worked for half the season. Then they stopped, as if thinking there were too many fouls called and totally did a 180 on officiating. This conversation had nothing specifically to do with AU so I'm not blasting nor blaming the refs for our situation, but the talking heads agreed with whoever the guru was and one coach said the round of 32 and sweet 16 was actually a throwback to 3-4 years ago, because of the physicality.

I will also say that we lost Jamal, Justin and essentially lost the Flanigan from last season when evaluating our 3 point struggle, even without evaluating the regression from current players. We added Wen, who was a driver/PnR guy that took difficult threes, KD (another driver), and Zep, who was an on the ball, creator guy most of his career 

BP did try to get sniper in Tyty, Alexander, Desi etc, to his credit 

13 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I will also say that we lost Jamal, Justin and essentially lost the Flanigan from last season when evaluating our 3 point struggle, even without evaluating the regression from current players. We added Wen, who was a driver/PnR guy that took difficult threes, KD (another driver), and Zep, who was an on the ball, creator guy most of his career 

BP did try to get sniper in Tyty, Alexander, Desi etc, to his credit 

lol desi is a sniper? He was a 27 percent 3 point shooter this season. Trey Alexander only shot it 28 percent from three this season. 

34 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

lol desi is a sniper? He was a 27 percent 3 point shooter this season. Trey Alexander only shot it 28 percent from three this season. 

I can’t say how they would’ve played out here vs where they went to. Powell was a creator and scorer here and a non-factor at his next stop.

Their skill sets as recruits included great shooting ability, that’s all I’m referring to 

31 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I can’t say how they would’ve played out here vs where they went to. Powell was a creator and scorer here and a non-factor at his next stop.

Their skill sets as recruits included great shooting ability, that’s all I’m referring to 

Against non sec competition. He still has not had a good game vs any SEC team. 

15 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Against non sec competition. He still has not had a good game vs any SEC team. 

The Memphis team he had 26-8 against was better than 85% of the SEC last season, and he only played two SEC teams, one of which ended up being the best team in the conference, but we're just splitting hairs 

Pearl recruited guys who had the "shooter" tag as recruits, that's all I was saying 

On 3/28/2022 at 6:03 AM, aucosby said:

I don’t see how anyone could watch Jabari Smith and not think of the kind of work he’s put in to make his shot so glorious. 

34 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

The Memphis team he had 26-8 against was better than 85% of the SEC last season, and he only played two SEC teams, one of which ended up being the best team in the conference, but we're just splitting hairs 

Pearl recruited guys who had the "shooter" tag as recruits, that's all I was saying 

He did not play vs any sec schools this season?! lol. He is just not good yet at this level. Of course I am splitting hairs with you! I love messing with you hahaha.