Eric Reed back to transfer portal

Tony4AU

I wish him the best. Hate it for him and us, he's super talented and a good player, but that is everyone in the backend.  The Competition is real this season.

I know we recruited him as a corner but I thought he had the frame to be a really good safety with better speed then most safety's. We are getting thin at DB we really can't afford to lose players of his quality.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sizzle said:

Getting thinner and thinner. Depth everywhere is obviously important but depth at the DB position is super important 

This makes it even more important that we develop a strong running game so that we can keep the ball on offense for extended periods of time. This would have to be running game and possession receivers to get 1st downs and keep the drives going.  I think we have a lot of quality starters on defense but it is depth where we will be hurting. If we don't control the clock as the game and  season wears on the Defense will start to run out of gas.

43 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Getting thinner and thinner. Depth everywhere is obviously important but depth at the DB position is super important 

From what I was told, this is more about the TFr that signed in this class doing some really good things.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bigbird said:

From what I was told, this is more about the TFr that signed in this class doing some really good things.

yep, Rhym passed him up already

16 hours ago, Sizzle said:

We are loaded at CB but really thin at safety. Puckett/Wooden at SS and Bridges/Gilbert at FS I believe but may have that mixed up. Probably could use a portal guy there and cross train someone like Pritchett there from time to time in case of injuries 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

We are? We got the Oregon transfer and who else?

Rhym and Diamond getting a lot of good reports. Then you got high ranked Juco Keionte Scott coming in during the summer and Ausberry. Loaded was maybe too ambitious of a word, but it's a legit 3 deep imo

1 hour ago, au302 said:

Rhym and Diamond getting a lot of good reports. Then you got high ranked Juco Keionte Scott coming in during the summer and Ausberry. Loaded was maybe too ambitious of a word, but it's a legit 3 deep imo

Wait Scott doesn’t come in until the summer? Damn didn’t know that. That’s a lot of unproven guys

18 hours ago, bigbird said:

Can't corners transition pretty easily over to safety?  I could be wrong, but that is what I recall.  If so, why didn't we try to utilize his talent at safety?  I really hate to lose Reed.

3 hours ago, au302 said:

We are loaded at CB but really thin at safety. Puckett/Wooden at SS and Bridges/Gilbert at FS I believe but may have that mixed up. Probably could use a portal guy there and cross train someone like Pritchett there from time to time in case of injuries 

Correct. Puckett is currently out with an injury so Wooden played safety for the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd team during the scrimmage. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Can't corners transition pretty easily over to safety?  I could be wrong, but that is what I recall.  If so, why didn't we try to utilize his talent at safety?  I really hate to lose Reed.

This is just my speculation, but the young guys (Wooden/Bridges) are doing really well and, IMO, Zion will start somewhere.  It seems like the path to PT has become more competitive and difficult.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, au302 said:

And Simpson and Pritchett

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

And Simpson

I always thought after his first start during the Kentucky game Simpson was going to be an elite defensive player for us.  His issue is I could only count on one hand how many games he was healthy (due to no fault of his own).  If he was healthy, he would be in the Draft by now I think.  He reminds me of Joshua Holsey, to a lesser degree injury-wise as Holsey endured heart-breaking injury after another.

Actually, Holsey is a guy I hope will enter into the coaching ranks one day.  I remember story after story of how at Auburn Holsey would always be coaching up the younger players and was there for Dinson after his Texas A&M injury.

Edited by abw0004

18 hours ago, bigbird said:

This is just my speculation, but the young guys (Wooden/Bridges) are doing really well and, IMO, Zion will start somewhere.  It seems like the path to PT has become more competitive and difficult.

Lord, let it spread to other position groups like the cooties. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Lord, let it spread to other position groups like the cooties. 

FWIW, Zion could easily grow into a backer just like Herring did.  He, in fact, may be better suited for that role 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bigbird said:

FWIW, Zion could easily grow into a backer just like Herring did.  He, in fact, may be better suited for that role 

Do you see any Sherwood comparisons?

Just now, McLoofus said:

Do you see any Sherwood comparisons?

To me, he is much more of a Will Herring or  Darren Bates more of Sherwood.

• Like 1