CBSNews
Tue, March 29, 2022, 6:00 AM·3 min read

In this article:
  •  

•  
  • Donald Trump
    Donald Trump
    45th President of the United States

Internal White House records from the day of the attack on the U.S. Capitol that were turned over to the House select committee show a gap in President Donald Trump's phone logs of seven hours and 37 minutes, including the period when the building was being violently assaulted, according to documents obtained by CBS News' chief election & campaign correspondent Robert Costa and The Washington Post's associate editor Bob Woodward. The lack of an official White House notation of any calls placed to or by Trump for 457 minutes — from 11:17 a.m. to 6:54 p.m. — on Jan. 6, 2021 means there is no record of the calls made by Trump as his supporters descended on the U.S. Capitol, battled overwhelmed police and forcibly entered the building, prompting lawmakers and Vice President Mike Pence to flee for safety.

The 11 pages of records — which consist of the president's official daily diary and the White House switchboard call log — were turned over by the National Archives earlier this year to the House select committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack.

The records show that Trump was active on the phone for part of the day, documenting conversations that he had with at least eight people in the morning and 11 people that evening. The gap also stands in stark contrast to the extensive public reporting about phone conversations he had with allies during the attack.

The chairman of the Jan. 6 House select committee, Rep. Bennie Thompson, Democrat of Mississippi, called the reported gap in the log "concerning."

"Obviously, there is not a second in the day that the president of the United States is not on record somewhere," Thompson told CBS News on Tuesday after a White House bill signing event. He said the committee would see "if we can piece it together."

"Having a record of what the president was doing on that day is absolutely vital to the work of the committee," Thompson added.

Thompson also said that the committee does not yet have any evidence that there were calls the president had made or received in that time period, but "if the Capitol of the United States is being overrun, somebody made some calls. And we just have to find them."

The House panel is now investigating whether Trump communicated that day through backchannels, phones of aides or personal disposable phones, known as "burner phones," according to two people with knowledge of the probe, who, like others interviewed for this report, spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive information. The committee is also scrutinizing whether it received the full log from that day.

The records show that former White House chief strategist Stephen K. Bannon — who said on his Jan. 5 podcast that "all hell is going to break loose tomorrow" — spoke with Trump twice on Jan. 6.

A spokesman for the committee declined to comment. In a statement Monday night, Trump said, "I have no idea what a burner phone is, to the best of my knowledge I have never even heard the term."

But former Trump national security adviser John Bolton said in an interview Tuesday, after the CBS News-Washington Post reporting had been published, that he recalls Trump using the term "burner phones" in several discussions and that Trump was aware of its meaning.

Bolton said he and Trump have spoken about how people have used "burner phones" to avoid having their calls scrutinized.  A Trump spokesperson said that Trump had nothing to do with the records and had assumed any and all of his phone calls were recorded and preserved.

For more, read The Washington Post story co-written by Costa and Woodward.

Ed O'Keefe and Arden Farhi contributed to this report.

But Hillary's emails right? who will be the first to step up and make some lame excuse for the donald?

WTF is wrong with DC when the archives of our records either can’t get the records OR themselves altered the records.?

Trump is just as most of us feared. He is Nixon Part 2

Edited by DKW 86
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

WTF is wrong with DV when the archives of our records either can’t get the records OR themselves altered the records.?

Trump is just as most of us feared. He is Nixon Part 2

Except Nixon actually did do some good policy work when he wasn't being corrupt. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Except Nixon actually did do some good policy work when he wasn't being corrupt. 

WTF????  We are in lousy shape in just 14 months because *Brandon* reversed every policy Trump implemented that was working.  Now Trump was a lot of wind and furry, but America was humming along pretty good.

How do you see the next year or so going with regard to economics, border security, energy costs, school curriculum and foreign policy?

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

WTF????  We are in lousy shape in just 14 months because *Brandon* reversed every policy Trump implemented that was working.  Now Trump was a lot of wind and furry, but America was humming along pretty good.

How do you see the next year or so going with regard to economics, border security, energy costs, school curriculum and foreign policy?

What economic policies did Biden reverse that were working? 

The Stock market is reaching new highs just like it was under Trump (keep in mind that stock market growth was one of the biggest economic achievements that Trump mentioned and bragged about during his presidency.) That growth hasn't changed. 

The US Trade deficit rose drastically under Trump despite being one of his most talked about issues that he wanted to fix and correct. 

The US federal deficit rose 39% under Trump. 

The biggest economic challenges happening now are inflation that is being caused by the pandemics  long-term effect on the economy and supply chain and have nothing to do with policies that were canceled.  Just like Trumps economic numbers were harmed by Covid, the economy under Biden is suffering too. 

Outside of Trumps tax cuts for the wealthy and Corporations, and his failed trade war with China, Trump's Administration didn't do much with the economy in his 4 years. Basically just a hands off approach and let it continue it's historic growth that he inherited from Obama's term. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

What economic policies did Biden reverse that were working? 

The Stock market is reaching new highs just like it was under Trump (keep in mind that stock market growth was one of the biggest economic achievements that Trump mentioned and bragged about during his presidency.) That growth hasn't changed. 

The US Trade deficit rose drastically under Trump despite being one of his most talked about issues that he wanted to fix and correct. 

The US federal deficit rose 39% under Trump. 

The biggest economic challenges happening now are inflation that is being caused by the pandemics  long-term effect on the economy and supply chain and have nothing to do with policies that were canceled.  Just like Trumps economic numbers were harmed by Covid, the economy under Biden is suffering too. 

Outside of Trumps tax cuts for the wealthy and Corporations, and his failed trade war with China, Trump's Administration didn't do much with the economy in his 4 years. Basically just a hands off approach and let it continue it's historic growth that he inherited from Obama's term. 

Inflation is about to explode.  Biden has just published his 5.8 $ trillion budget, which will increase the deficit as there is no way his taxing the rich on unrealized capital gains is going to pass.  The pandemic did increase inflation, but Biden is still throwing money out saying is will curb that inflation.  He blames Putin for this when the inflation was here well before the Russian’s invaded Ukraine.  Remember, *its transitory*, it’s a high class problem*, it will help the economy* and finally *it’s Putin’s fault*.  Does the man know what to do about inflation?  Carter 2.0.

Failed trade war with China?  We won’t have to worry about a trade war with China now, do we?  If Obama historic growth then I would expect Joe, having spent 4 years as his side kick, to have this economy well in hand by the 2024 election.

How about the other issues I asked about?  What’s your outlook.

20 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

see dude? we cannot get an honest answer out of you. seeing as you see trump as furry means you think he is an old teddybear and cuddle worthy. your subconscious threw that out there for all to see..................grins

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

see dude? we cannot get an honest answer out of you. seeing as you see trump as furry means you think he is an old teddybear and cuddle worthy. your subconscious threw that out there for all to see..................grins

What are you talking about.  I responded to coffee in an honest way.  I did not respond to the OP, however, I have been consistent in my belief that I hope Trump doesn’t run in 2024 and if he does someone will take his place as the Republican nominee.  

The 7 minute and 37 second gap is just a talking point at this moment.  Will it amount to anything?  Who knows.  If it does it will align with what I hope for in the 2024 election.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

What are you talking about.  I responded to coffee in an honest way.  I did not respond to the OP, however, I have been consistent in my belief that I hope Trump doesn’t run in 2024 and if he does someone will take his place as the Republican nominee.  

The 7 minute and 37 second gap is just a talking point at this moment.  Will it amount to anything?  Who knows.  If it does it will align with what I hope for in the 2024 election.

ok so how do you think hillary's emails are important? and what about trumps missing emails? i am pretty sure you brought that up a few times over the years. the teddybear was a joke and i thought it was funny. still do....................

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

ok so how do you think hillary's emails are important? and what about trumps missing emails? i am pretty sure you brought that up a few times over the years. the teddybear was a joke and i thought it was funny. still do....................

Hillary’s emails have no affect on Trump.  If Trump’s emails are missing, find them.  If I brought up Hillary’s emails it was at the time it was relevant, I don’t think I have mentioned them lately.

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

7 HOURS 37 minute gap. 

• Thanks 2

How about the other issues I asked about?  What’s your outlook.

Foreign policy- Good outlook. I agree with Democrats 100% on this issue over the isolationist, America first view that just pisses off our allies and weakens Americas standing in the world.

School curriculum- good outlook. I've never seen any proof that CRT is an issue in public schools. 

energy prices: neutral - don't know what's going to happen over the next year.   I drive a fairly fuel efficient vehicle so high gas prices haven't had much impact on me. Hopefully things settle down and they lower though. Opposite of many Demcorats, I would support increased drilling and oil production from America though. 

Border security- neutral. Deportations and border enforcement is as high as it's ever been. I don't see it as a nationally important issue at the moment. 

economics- poor outlook. With stagnant wages, inflation, home prices, debt, and income inequality, I've had a negative outlook on Americas economic future for a long time. I haven't seen Democrats or Republicans do much to help with many of these issues. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

see? this strikes me of dishonesty. you actually believe the only tapes they do not have available were the ones the dems and judges have asked for? come on man. what else could it be? explain to me what i am missing?

3 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

see? this strikes me of dishonesty. you actually believe the only tapes they do not have available were the ones the dems and judges have asked for? come on man. what else could it be? explain to me what i am missing?

What strikes you as dishonest?

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

What strikes you as dishonest?

some things should be pretty obvious to me. it is like you are giving trump a pass.

Just now, aubiefifty said:

some things should be pretty obvious to me. it is like you are giving trump a pass.

Well, it’s not obvious to me.  Where am I giving Trump a pass?  If you are talking about the phone gap as a talking point, then when/if the gap in the phone call is discovered  then it becomes more than a talking point.  

• Sad 1

On 3/31/2022 at 1:24 PM, I_M4_AU said:

Well, it’s not obvious to me.  Where am I giving Trump a pass?  If you are talking about the phone gap as a talking point, then when/if the gap in the phone call is discovered  then it becomes more than a talking point.  

"when/if it's discovered"?????  :laugh:

As has been reported, it's in the White house logs:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-calls-seven-hour-gap-january-6/

White House records turned over to House show 7-hour gap in Trump phone log on Jan. 6

Edited by homersapien

8 hours ago, homersapien said:

White House records turned over to House show 7-hour gap in Trump phone log on Jan. 6

he knows and does not care because it is not a dem.

12 hours ago, homersapien said:

I guess I should have said if/when they find what he may or may not have said in his alternate source of communication then those 7 hours and 37 minutes will be relevant.  Otherwise it is speculation about what transpired.  

Thanks for pointing out how I misspoke.

• Love 1

Well, another near miss:

But the gap might have a less mysterious explanation. 

According to multiple sources familiar with Trump's phone behavior and the White House switchboard records, the January 6 log reflects Trump's typical phone habits. He mainly placed calls through the switchboard when he was in the residence but rarely used it when he was in the Oval Office. The fact the log does not show calls on January 6, 2021, from the Oval Office is not unusual, said the sources, because Trump typically had staff either place calls directly for him on landlines or cell phones. Those calls would not be noted on the switchboard log.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/31/politics/mystery-call-gap-trump-jan-6-white-house-phone-logs/index.html

If your going to find something nefarious, please make it stick.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

I guess I should have said if/when they find what he may or may not have said in his alternate source of communication then those 7 hours and 37 minutes will be relevant.  Otherwise it is speculation about what transpired.  

Thanks for pointing out how I misspoke.

Well, whatever it was, Trump clearly didn't want it to be on the record.  That doesn't require "speculation".

This is exactly why the house investigation is vitally important to our country and also why Republicans opposed every attempt to investigate it.

3 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Well, another near miss:

But the gap might have a less mysterious explanation. 

According to multiple sources familiar with Trump's phone behavior and the White House switchboard records, the January 6 log reflects Trump's typical phone habits. He mainly placed calls through the switchboard when he was in the residence but rarely used it when he was in the Oval Office. The fact the log does not show calls on January 6, 2021, from the Oval Office is not unusual, said the sources, because Trump typically had staff either place calls directly for him on landlines or cell phones. Those calls would not be noted on the switchboard log.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/31/politics/mystery-call-gap-trump-jan-6-white-house-phone-logs/index.html

If your going to find something nefarious, please make it stick.

The Presidential Records Act (PRA) of 1978, 44 U.S.C. §§ 22012207, is an Act of the United States Congress governing the official records of Presidents and Vice Presidents created or received after January 20, 1981, and mandating the preservation of all presidential records. Enacted November 4, 1978,[1] the PRA changed the legal ownership of the President's official records from private to public, and established a new statutory structure under which Presidents must manage their records. The PRA was amended in 2014, to include the prohibition of sending electronic records through non-official accounts unless an official account is copied on the transmission, or a copy is forwarded to an official account shortly after creation.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidential_Records_Act

I expect nothing Trump has ever done is "nefarious" to you and all the other MAGAs.

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

I expect nothing Trump has ever done is "nefarious" to you and all the other MAGAs.

Like I said; Make it stick.

Like I said; Make it stick.

There's no need to make it "stick". :-\ 

Trump is very upfront about it.  Hell, he's even said the 2020 election should be rescinded.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/23/mo-brooks-says-trump-asked-him-to-rescind-election-remove-biden.html

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/mar/23/mo-brooks-donald-trump-rescind-2020-election

Never mind this would also invalidate all of the elections in which Republicans actually won - which was a majority of them.   :rolleyes:  One cannot invalidate one race in a given election without invalidating all of them.  Either the election - in whole - is validated or not:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/04/01/trump-election-decertification-efforts-hurt-all-republicans/

The fool’s gold of Trump’s decertification plan

"As Donald Trump flails about trying to “rescind” the 2020 presidential election and castigating Republicans who point out the Constitution doesn’t allow that, here is a heads-up for state legislators considering doing his bidding: You were elected to office by the same voters using the same ballots on the same day.

If somehow Joe Biden’s victory was fraudulent, so was yours.

If Joe Biden shouldn’t be in the White House, you shouldn’t be in your statehouse.

Wisconsin Republicans pushing that state’s special counsel investigation and those supporting the Cyber Ninja charade in Arizona or the “audits” being attempted in several states and counties apparently aren’t aware of the implications of their claims or how elections work.

You cannot disqualify just one race on an illegal ballot. Simply put, it is impossible.

If a ballot is disqualified because someone voted fraudulently, then all votes for all offices on that ballot must be disqualified, including the votes that likely gave Republican legislators their majorities in key battleground states.......

Recall that in 2020, Trump lost but that Republicans did very well down ballot. Republican voters in swing areas, mostly suburbs, split their tickets by abandoning Trump but voting for Republican congressional and state candidates, including for state legislatures. Republicans gained a net 141 seats and two legislative chambers, while Democrats won no new chambers".........

Furthermore, If you are merely talking about the number of times Trump has skated on his illegal actions, that's a completely different topic

That involves the number of  (self-proclaimed) "conservatives" in our government which consists largely of MAGA's and others who have absolutely no moral or democratic standards.  They just vote the party line.  Just asking others to make his transgressions "stick" suggests you are one of them. 

So, do you not think Trump as a would-be authoritarian who would negate a legal election for his own personal benefit? 

Do you not think rule of law is important for a democracy? 

Are you simply willing to deny the truth simply because of of the political power Trump supporters possess to keep him from being held accountable?

Your post suggests your answer to the above questions is "yes" in each case.  In other words, F*** principle, it's more important to support "my" guy.

Edited by homersapien

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

There's no need to make it "stick". :-\ 

Trump is very upfront about it.  Hell, he's even said the 2020 election should be rescinded.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/23/mo-brooks-says-trump-asked-him-to-rescind-election-remove-biden.html

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/mar/23/mo-brooks-donald-trump-rescind-2020-election

Never mind this would also invalidate all of the elections in which Republicans actually won - which was a majority of them.   :rolleyes:  One cannot invalidate one race in a given election without invalidating all of them.  Either the election - in whole - is validated or not:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/04/01/trump-election-decertification-efforts-hurt-all-republicans/

The fool’s gold of Trump’s decertification plan

"As Donald Trump flails about trying to “rescind” the 2020 presidential election and castigating Republicans who point out the Constitution doesn’t allow that, here is a heads-up for state legislators considering doing his bidding: You were elected to office by the same voters using the same ballots on the same day.

If somehow Joe Biden’s victory was fraudulent, so was yours.

If Joe Biden shouldn’t be in the White House, you shouldn’t be in your statehouse.

Wisconsin Republicans pushing that state’s special counsel investigation and those supporting the Cyber Ninja charade in Arizona or the “audits” being attempted in several states and counties apparently aren’t aware of the implications of their claims or how elections work.

You cannot disqualify just one race on an illegal ballot. Simply put, it is impossible.

If a ballot is disqualified because someone voted fraudulently, then all votes for all offices on that ballot must be disqualified, including the votes that likely gave Republican legislators their majorities in key battleground states.......

Recall that in 2020, Trump lost but that Republicans did very well down ballot. Republican voters in swing areas, mostly suburbs, split their tickets by abandoning Trump but voting for Republican congressional and state candidates, including for state legislatures. Republicans gained a net 141 seats and two legislative chambers, while Democrats won no new chambers".........

Furthermore, If you are merely talking about the number of times Trump has skated on his illegal actions, that's a completely different topic

That involves the number of  (self-proclaimed) "conservatives" in our government which consists largely of MAGA's and others who have absolutely no moral or democratic standards.  They just vote the party line.  Just asking others to make his transgressions "stick" suggests you are one of them. 

So, do you not think Trump as a would-be authoritarian who would negate a legal election for his own personal benefit? 

Do you not think rule of law is important for a democracy? 

Are you simply willing to deny the truth simply because of of the political power Trump supporters possess to keep him from being held accountable?

Your post suggests your answer to the above questions is "yes" in each case.  In other words, F*** principle, it's more important to support "my" guy.

Dude, it’s like you don’t even see that democrats have been doing exactly what you described above for years!!  

• Like 1