Breakout players Javlin Simpson

aubiefifty

Auburn Tigers

Jaylin Simpson, CB: One of the most impressive athletes on the team, Simpson was a steady cover corner for the Tigers last season while senior Roger McCreary garnered much of the praise at the back end. He'll have an opportunity to be the No. 1 option at the position for Auburn this fall and is a physical player unafraid of contact. With more confidence and snaps, Simpson will flourish.

• Like 3

Hopefully his track and field experience carries over to the football field.

• Like 1

Dude is not a true #1 Corner. He gets beat deep to much for my liking. Don't get me wrong, he is a good corner but I hope another corner can step up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maryland tiger said:

Dude is not a true #1 Corner. He gets beat deep to much for my liking. Don't get me wrong, he is a good corner but I hope another corner can step up. 

Which year are you referring to?

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Which year are you referring to?

I'm referring to what I saw in 2021 and the fact that he is getting beat deep in Spring practice. I don't ever recall McCreary getting beat like that. It happens to the best of corners but Simpson seems a step behind. 

I can't review the entire season but here are two games that I believe detailed what I'm trying to convey. 

4:50 Mark 

7:05 Mark - maybe he is expecting help on the inside so that's understandable. 

1:45 Mark

2:19 Mark

• Thanks 1

I believe with improved safety play, we'll see a significant improvement in how people view our corners 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

I believe with improved safety play, we'll see a significant improvement in how people view our corners 

Is that more of a critique of Smoke or Knighten? Or a combo?

We did get beat deep on Simpson's side way too much last year

9 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Is that more of a critique of Smoke or Knighten? Or a combo?

We did get beat deep on Simpson's side way too much last year

Our safety play the last 4 years has been disappointing to me.

A lot of the time, Simpson is playing with outside leverage where he can funnel things inside.

At the 4:50 clip above you'll see he's beat to the inside strictly by alignment. 8/10 DB can't stay on the receivers hip and the two that possibly could only  make the play about 1/3 of the time.

At the 7:50 mark,  the motion causes Simpson to bump to #2. Doing so, he is automatically aligns outside. You can see the cushion widen as the receivers drives  and Simpson tries to keep his cushion. He funnels the receiver inside. Kaufman jumps his man, but Smoke should be playing the MoF safety. He gets his eyes stuck in the backfield (happened a lot with him) and he doesn't pick up on the backside post. Smoke opened up the window.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Our safety play the last 4 years has been disappointing to me

Agreed. This is not a new issue. We have had great corners and somehow seem to be getting beat by passing offenses. Granted, those offenses are dynamic and well schemed, but we shouldn't be letting everyone look that good throwing the ball.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Agreed. This is not a new issue. We have had great corners and somehow seem to be getting beat by passing offenses. Granted, those offenses are dynamic and well schemed, but we shouldn't be letting everyone look that good throwing the ball.

Yeah, as a secondary guy, it's been beyond frustrating seeing the same mistakes by the same players.

6 hours ago, maryland tiger said:

This is what a True #1 corner should look like. This dude is a stud and should be on the field as much as possible. 

Looked good my only rap on him is a few tackles where he didn't wrap but was in a position to wrap. Sometimes you are not in a position to wrap but when you are it is really important because there are players who won't go down if you don't wrap.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, maryland tiger said:

This is what a True #1 corner should look like. This dude is a stud and should be on the field as much as possible. 

IMO, that highlight isn't that great.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, maryland tiger said:

Well, you know what they say about opinions. 

Some are better than others? 😁

Not trying to discount the guy at all, he could be an all time great eventually. However, in those clips he wasn't. He was out of position a bit and got turned around some too.  He did recover well and showed some great catch up speed. Also, he played well in zone peeling off of routes and jumping others.   His ball skills could be better as well, he left a few gimme INTs on the field. Again, JMO.