Harper signs two-way contract with NBA team

aubiefifty

Jared Harper signs two-way contract with NBA team

By Mark Inabinett | minabinett@al.com
3-4 minutes

Team USA guard Jared Harper

Team USA guard Jared Harper dribbles against Puerto Rico during an FIBA World Cup qualifying game on Feb. 24, 2022, at Entertainment and Sports Arena in Washington.(Photo by Scott Taetsch/Getty Images)

The New Orleans Pelicans have signed Birmingham Squadron guard Jared Harper to a two-way contract, the NBA team announced on Tuesday.

A two-way contract allows a player to move between an NBA team and its affiliate in the NBA G League without having to enter the waiver process.

Harper played in two games in December for the Pelicans while on a two-way contract. Each NBA team can have two players on two-way contracts in addition to the 15 players on the regular-season roster.

New Orleans has seven games remaining on its regular-season schedule. The Pelicans are holding on to a spot in the NBA’s play-in tournament by one game.

Birmingham has three games remaining on its regular-season schedule. The Squadron has a two-game cushion in its bid to receive one of the Western Conference’s six spots in the NBA G League playoffs.

In 29 games with Birmingham this season, Harper has averaged 21.7 points, 4.1 rebounds, 7.0 assists and 1.3 steals.

New Orleans was able to sign the former Auburn standout after converting Jose Alvarado’s two-way contract to a standard contract on Monday.

Harper went to training camp with the Pelicans in the preseason. After he was waived on Oct. 9, Harper signed with the Squadron, which is New Orleans’ G League affiliate.

Harper had spent the previous two seasons playing mainly on two-way contracts.

In the 2019-20 season, Harper got on the court in three games for the Phoenix Suns while he averaged 20.2 points, 5.5 assists and 1.1 steals per game for the G League’s Northern Arizona Suns.

Last season, Harper played in two games for the New York Knicks before entering the G League bubble, where he played for the Westchester Knicks.

In 12 games in the G League’s bubble season in Florida, Harper averaged 21.3 points and 6.9 assists. Those figures ranked fourth and second, respectively, in the G League last season. Harper’s performance earned All-NBA G League first-team recognition.

When Westchester’s season ended, Harper rejoined New York and played in six more NBA games.

Harper has played in 13 NBA games and has 12 points, three rebounds and four assists in 34 minutes of court time.

In Harper’s final two seasons at Auburn, the Tigers went to the NCAA tournament in 2018 and 2019 after not having participated since 2003. The 2018 team had Auburn’s second winning record in SEC play in 18 seasons, and the 2019 squad reached the Final Four for the first time in school history.

Harper set an Auburn single-season record and led the SEC with 231 assists for the Final Four team, and he became the school’s third player with 1,000 points and 500 assists.

Mark Inabinett is a sports reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter at @AMarkG1.

Harper still out there busting it looking for a chance! The man has zero quit in him. Would love to see him stick with a team in the league and get some sustained minutes. I know he is limited on defense but gotta think his passing, intelligence and scoring ability would be of use to a team. 

• Like 2

I doubt he gets a ton of burn with the Lakers still being right on the Pels and them likely bringing Bron and AD back this week, but I think (don’t hold me) that this would at least allow him to appear in a postseason game with the team 

37 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I doubt he gets a ton of burn with the Lakers still being right on the Pels and them likely bringing Bron and AD back this week, but I think (don’t hold me) that this would at least allow him to appear in a postseason game with the team 

The Lakers would be better with a couple guys off the street compared to what they have right now. That team is horrible. They already play zero defense. Outside of Lebron, AD and Monk none of the other guys are true starters in the NBA. I was hoping he'd end up somewhere like OKC. They're clearly not trying to win and stockpiling draft picks and where players have garnered some trade value b/c they're given a chance to play. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WarEagle1983 said:

The Lakers would be better with a couple guys off the street compared to what they have right now. That team is horrible. They already play zero defense. Outside of Lebron, AD and Monk none of the other guys are true starters in the NBA. I was hoping he'd end up somewhere like OKC. They're clearly not trying to win and stockpiling draft picks and where players have garnered some trade value b/c they're given a chance to play. 

Monk is gonna get a bag from someone definitely. I wish my 76ers reached out to him…but he seemed set on ring chasing with LA

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Like 2

I wish teams will take a chance on Harper. His shooting ability and quickness to get to the rim. If he was taller, I feel like teams wouldn't be hesitant to sign him to a roster instead of all these two way contracts. Keep striving young man.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tiger720 said:

I wish teams will take a chance on Harper. His shooting ability and quickness to get to the rim. If he was taller, I feel like teams wouldn't be hesitant to sign him to a roster instead of all these two way contracts. Keep striving young man.

Just tough because of the defensive side.  Harper is tied for the shortest player or right by it depending on where you look at his height. And most of the guys there are journeymen status (IT, DJ Augustin, etc)

You really gotta be generational on offense to make it work 

Harper has made a solid living playing Pro ball. At his height it is a testament to how hard he has worked and how good he is. I would love to see him get a chance at a full year but considering how many really good players didn't make it this far he has done great.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Harper has made a solid living playing Pro ball. At his height it is a testament to how hard he has worked and how good he is. I would love to see him get a chance at a full year but considering how many really good players didn't make it this far he has done great.

There’s alot of value in being one of the 10-20 best guys in the GLeague. Flexing between that and being one of the end of bench guys in the NBA. That’s better than 99% of the planet at basketball, and at the moment, he’s like 5 hours away from his hometown 

• Like 1