TJ Finley and Decision Making

Didba

So I was re-watching the LSU game from 2021 and had totally forgotten TJ got a series or two in that game.

As I was watching I noticed that he actually performed pretty well and had a long completion negated by personal foul that occurred after the play, which made his drive look worse then it really was if that isn't negated.  

However, I digress, what really struck me was how disclipined he was in going through all of his reads, look 1, look 2, look 3, check down.  I noticed this on the play where he failed to convert on 3rd or 4th down.  All three looks were covered so he checks down to a RB coming open across the middle, it was the correct decision and would have been completed had he not been hit around his ankles on release causing the throw to just a bit too high for the RB to catch.

Noticing this I then decided to go back and watch his series again and noticed that he almost always makes the correct read and throws to the correct receiver or attempts to.  However, his throws get affected by the rush and even though it's the right decision the throw isn't great because he is getting hit while releasing or being forced to move around in the pocket too much.

To the average viewer you just see a badly thrown ball and go wow he sucks. I know I did at first. I then watched some of his film from other games and this is a reoccurring theme.  He makes the right decision and goes through his progressions but gets affected on the throws because the Oline can't block for that long.

I was really down on TJ early on but he really really does have a NFL level arm, he just needs more consistency on the deep ball and better protection or WRs that get some separation so he doesn't have to get to his fourth read/check down.

Here is the play from the LSU game I am talking about, this view is nice because you can watch his progression, see him check down and then make the right decision but a bad throw because the rush starts to affect him.  Finley is better than many of us give him credit for. It is just harder to see.

The third down play before this one was just atrocious though lol.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Really good QB's throw the receiver open.  One issue I have had with most of our recent QB's is they only throw when the Receiver is wide open. The great QB's throw just before the break on a pass route and hit the receiver as he is coming out of the break.  This is not a knock on Finley or Bo from previous years as in a Gus offense I think it was don't throw unless wide open which almost never happens. I saw improvement on this last year under new coach but it takes time. It also requires receivers to run good routes where they make the break where they are supposed to if QB throws before break and receiver doesn't make the break bad things happen and the QB gets the blame.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Really good QB's throw the receiver open.  One issue I have had with most of our recent QB's is they only throw when the Receiver is wide open. The great QB's throw just before the break on a pass route and hit the receiver as he is coming out of the break.  This is not a knock on Finley or Bo from previous years as in a Gus offense I think it was don't throw unless wide open which almost never happens. I saw improvement on this last year under new coach but it takes time. It also requires receivers to run good routes where they make the break where they are supposed to if QB throws before break and receiver doesn't make the break bad things happen and the QB gets the blame.

I agree with this to an extent however to throw a WR open there has to be at least a little separation between the DB and WR.

• Like 2

I agree. It's not that the dude gets rattled and makes terrible decisions. He stands in really well and seems really calm. Just took too long. Getting his decision making quicker and better deep ball mechanics will help. Not sure he's the guy. Still leaning towards no, but this will be his first spring with Harsin so hopefully that helps 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, au302 said:

I agree. It's not that the dude gets rattled and makes terrible decisions. He stands in really well and seems really calm. Just took too long. Getting his decision making quicker and better deep ball mechanics will help. Not sure he's the guy. Still leaning towards no, but this will be his first spring with Harsin so hopefully that helps 

Better blocking as well.  Teams send the house on him bc they aren't afraid of the run. Nix played very well against LSU despite throwing an interception because he rolled out a ton on LSU. Also, he was playing like a man possessed. In rewatching that game Nix had at least five different plays where he ran around until a WR or TE came free. Wild.

• Like 2

What was your takeaway from the USC, Bama, and bowl game that he started? Every game it seems like he’s good for a series or 2 but other than that it’s just painful to watch

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sizzle said:

What was your takeaway from the USC, Bama, and bowl game that he started? Every game it seems like he’s good for a series or 2 but other than that it’s just painful to watch

Seemed to be more of the same from the bit I watched.  Let me watch them in entirety and I'll get back to you.

I really wish I could get better footage. Being behind the QB is much easier for me to see things bc you can see the whole field and (don't laugh) I have put 100s of hours into the new Maddens when they came to PC.  Madden Online has been a ton a fun as an older young person.

Edited by Didba

6 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

tenor.gif

I was hoping someone would get a kick out of that

• Haha 1

When TJ has time he makes pretty good throws. Problem is him having to make a decision in less than 3 seconds most the time.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2022 at 5:40 PM, Sizzle said:

I tend to agree. He will not escape the rush like Bo did. I’m not sure he’s really any less accurate than Bo was though.  He has a great arm, but that’s only worth the salt if the WR’s get open and he improves his accuracy. With Calzada out for spring, this is def his chance to prove he’s the guy. Our true freshman may be the actual guy after a few games into the season depending on how things go. It seems obvious after the fiasco with Harsin a few months ago, that Harsin may not be given the amount of time he truly needs to instill his culture and blueprint on the program. Honestly, I really don’t see anything more than a 6/6 record again. 

On 3/31/2022 at 2:58 PM, Didba said:

So I was re-watching the LSU game from 2021 and had totally forgotten TJ got a series or two in that game.

As I was watching I noticed that he actually performed pretty well and had a long completion negated by personal foul that occurred after the play, which made his drive look worse then it really was if that isn't negated.  

However, I digress, what really struck me was how disclipined he was in going through all of his reads, look 1, look 2, look 3, check down.  I noticed this on the play where he failed to convert on 3rd or 4th down.  All three looks were covered so he checks down to a RB coming open across the middle, it was the correct decision and would have been completed had he not been hit around his ankles on release causing the throw to just a bit too high for the RB to catch.

Noticing this I then decided to go back and watch his series again and noticed that he almost always makes the correct read and throws to the correct receiver or attempts to.  However, his throws get affected by the rush and even though it's the right decision the throw isn't great because he is getting hit while releasing or being forced to move around in the pocket too much.

To the average viewer you just see a badly thrown ball and go wow he sucks. I know I did at first. I then watched some of his film from other games and this is a reoccurring theme.  He makes the right decision and goes through his progressions but gets affected on the throws because the Oline can't block for that long.

I was really down on TJ early on but he really really does have a NFL level arm, he just needs more consistency on the deep ball and better protection or WRs that get some separation so he doesn't have to get to his fourth read/check down.

Here is the play from the LSU game I am talking about, this view is nice because you can watch his progression, see him check down and then make the right decision but a bad throw because the rush starts to affect him.  Finley is better than many of us give him credit for. It is just harder to see.

The third down play before this one was just atrocious though lol.

I know Bo had his flaws, but this game showed how much he meant to this team. (#PreparedForTheFlames)

• Like 1

Obviously not comparing the 2 as QBs but Brady has the same mobility issue. So they design plays that allow him to release the ball in 2.5-3 secs. He also has great pocket awareness and the ability to take 1 step in the pocket to avoid a rush. The best thing they can do for TJ is work him on those skills and give him quick release plays. The rest has to come from the OL itself or WRs getting better separation. This is especially necessary on any longer developing passes they may call.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IronMan70 said:

Obviously not comparing the 2 as QBs but Brady has the same mobility issue. So they design plays that allow him to release the ball in 2.5-3 secs. He also has great pocket awareness and the ability to take 1 step in the pocket to avoid a rush. The best thing they can do for TJ is work him on those skills and give him quick release plays. The rest has to come from the OL itself or WRs getting better separation. This is especially necessary on any longer developing passes they may call.

Brady plenty football smart. He generally knows where he should go before the clock starts by formation and defensive alignment. 

• Like 1